Those Friendly Mexican Pharmacies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those Friendly Mexican Pharmacies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
As someone told before the most comfortable way of getting meds would be in the large supermarkets (Soriana, Wal-Mart, Comercial Mexicana, H-E-B in the north) as all of them have a pharmacy section and the price variation between them and small pharmacies can be +/- $4 USD
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Buying in large well-established stores is a good strategy.

As to Ambien, etc. be aware that, though the government interferes minimally in the sale / dispensing of various drugs one would require a prescription for in "el norte," the government is significantly more zealous about controlled drugs like benzodiazepines, soporifics, sedative-hypnotics and their ilk.

And you might not be able to find the latest or most effective drugs for other problems (e.g. Malarone as a malaria preventive.)

DO check expiration dates ("fecha de caducidad",) how the medications have been kept (how warm is the temperature at mid-day?) even in larger stores.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:17 am

We found best prices at Sam's Club and Walmart in Cancun. Did not try Costco. Stores in malls were high to very high.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:18 pm

Current question?

Originally Posted by JDiver
Be aware, there are "pirate" (counterfeit) drugs available in Mexico, and conditions vary considerably in storage - temperatures can get quite warm in non-air conditioned farmacias. Be sure to check the ingredient list - many medications vary in naming, and some sold in Mexico with the same name as US (or other) have the principal ingredients, but may be compounded with other active ingredients you may not want.

While a number of medications can be obtained without prescriptions (e.g. antibiotics,) some medications, particularly anything that could be considered a stimulant, narcotic or depressants - are more controlled than in the USA or Canada, and do necessitate a doctor's prescription (which should be carried with one.) Some medications sold in Mexico may be of any US or European list - one common and popular anti-diarrheal was sold years after they were prohibited in Europe, Japan and the US because one of the potential side effects was blindness (now that's a serious stopper...)

Mexico regulates the maximum prices of medications - "Precio máximo al público" should be on the printed on the box, with the maximum allowable price in pesos. Most pharmacies also have a book similar to the US PDR (Physicians Desk Reference") available, but of course, it is in Castilian, and may have different pharmaceutical or generic names (we do that in English as well - "acetaminophen" in the US is "paracetamol" nearly everywhere else, including Argentina.) Some medications available in the US, Canada, Europe may just not be available in Mexico, either entirely, or in strengths you may be looking to buy; and a number of medications have a different appearance (the paracetamol I purchased last week in Buenos Aires, for example, was a much larger tablet than the comparable strength acetaminophen in the US,) or may be packaged differently - such as in individually tearable packets dispensed in strips from a box.

As well, there are different kinds of farmacias: only "de Primera Clase" have a licensed pharmacist in attendance at all times. Other points of note - many pharmacies have someone on staff who is capable of giving injections - but be sure they are using disposables, as you may not be able to evaluate the sanitary conditions of their autoclave or other sterilization method. Finally, you can still get your meds compounded by hand in some farmacias - but it may be compounded by an ayudante, or totally unlicensed and sometimes unsupervised "assistant."

How do I know this? A number of my family members were physicians in Mexico, and my first jobs after school / summers were translating, selling and working the counters, compounding meds for people and animals (including small doses of "sleeping pills" for drugging parrots to be smuggled into the USA,) unpacking and stocking, etc. at Farmacia Zapata - where medical advice was dispensed and injections given as well (but not by me.) Fuhgeddaboudit - the statute of limitations, if there was any law against it anyway, is long, long expired... ¡Salud!
Thank you all for your insight. I stumbled across this forum trying to figure out if I can refill my tramadol in Mazatlan, Mexico? It is now a schedule IV drug in the US. I know it used to be widely available in Mexico OTC however since US regulations have changed I was wondering what impact that has had on Mexican regulations (if any). Please advise, I am trying to see my doctor before I leave in 6 days but just in case I'd like to know if there are other options. Thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kris10
Thank you all for your insight. I stumbled across this forum trying to figure out if I can refill my tramadol in Mazatlan, Mexico? It is now a schedule IV drug in the US. I know it used to be widely available in Mexico OTC however since US regulations have changed I was wondering what impact that has had on Mexican regulations (if any). Please advise, I am trying to see my doctor before I leave in 6 days but just in case I'd like to know if there are other options. Thank you!
Influence on Mexico drugs regulations is more marked with those affected by DEA and US drug laws. Those most affected include stimulants, opiates and opioids and various central nervous depressants, hypnotics, sedatives, etc. so my guess is Tramadol is restricted in Mexico.

The larger pharmacies in Mexico often have a physician on consult, so you might find it more effective to try your American Rx and as a backup do a consult (usually moderately priced) with your US physician's letter or / and prescription.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kris10
About a year ago we tried to stock up on vicodin which I need for migraines, no dice (shocker). However the helpful pharmacist suggested tramadol which was sold OTC. So unless things have changed I doubt you will have any issues.

Originally Posted by genesmasher
Just pick a pharmacy in a large supermarket, and carry a list of what you need, like other people suggested. Stay away from small shops, and you will be fine.
Personally I do exactly the opposite, as I've found Wal-Mart prices are roughly 2x higher, and they tend to be more stringent about requiring prescriptions. YMMV
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Influence on Mexico drugs regulations is more marked with those affected by DEA and US drug laws. Those most affected include stimulants, opiates and opioids and various central nervous depressants, hypnotics, sedatives, etc. so my guess is Tramadol is restricted in Mexico.

The larger pharmacies in Mexico often have a physician on consult, so you might find it more effective to try your American Rx and as a backup do a consult (usually moderately priced) with your US physician's letter or / and prescription.
Thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
About a year ago we tried to stock up on vicodin which I need for migraines, no dice (shocker). However the helpful pharmacist suggested tramadol which was sold OTC. So unless things have changed I doubt you will have any issues.

Personally I do exactly the opposite, as I've found Wal-Mart prices are roughly 2x higher, and they tend to be more stringent about requiring prescriptions. YMMV
Thank you!!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:21 am

Is Ritalin or Adderall available without a prescrip? It's not a controlled substance (I don't think?) and am wondering if it's cheaper in Mexico without a script than it is in the US with one.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by meraki
Is Ritalin or Adderall available without a prescrip? It's not a controlled substance (I don't think?) and am wondering if it's cheaper in Mexico without a script than it is in the US with one.

In the U.S., it's schedule II just like cocaine and hydrocodone.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:28 am
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by meraki
Both are in the list of controlled substances in Mexico, so the answer is no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.