Wiki Posts
Search

Sudafed in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Sudafed in Mexico

Hey guys, pretty simple question, but I've seen conflicting answers...

Am I allowed to bring Sudafed in? I also have one of my best friends that lives in GDL and even he was unsure. I've had a lot of trouble with my ears over the last few years with flying constantly, and now I need to take sudafed before and after my flight. I haven't been back since I was told to do this by my DR. Thanks for any help, I've got a last min trip down there this weekend.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You may wish to contact your nearest consulate for Mexico to get something in writing if you're this concerned. I doubt you're bringing in a 500 count bottle but instead probably a 12 pack which I'm not seeing as a problem.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
You may wish to contact your nearest consulate for Mexico to get something in writing if you're this concerned. I doubt you're bringing in a 500 count bottle but instead probably a 12 pack which I'm not seeing as a problem.
I thought about doing that, but didn't figure it was that big of deal. Another friend that scuba dives mentioned that they were cracking down on it in the last year or two, and that I should check into it. I'd really just bring about 6 pills and that's it. Surely that would be OK, but I've seen stranger things get caught up at customs!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't guess, check it.

BTW, aren't there various versions of Sudafed sold OTC in the USA, some of which you must sign for and show ID?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't guess, check it.

BTW, aren't there various versions of Sudafed sold OTC in the USA, some of which you must sign for and show ID?
Yes, any version that has pseudoephedrine in it requires a signature and DL. The other versions don't have the pseudoephedrine in it, but they are much weaker than the regular version.

You're right, I'll put a call into the Consulate tomorrow to ask, and possibly get something in writing. I'll be sure to drop back by to update for future reference.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

How much are talking about here?

I bring my over the counter and Rx drugs into Mexico all the time including Sudafed. And I go for a month or two at a time.

I think the key here is personal use.... if you bring in more then what looks normal and you get the red light at customs...then you may have to do little explaining.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
Sudafed is no longer sold in MX and some similar meds require a prescription from a MX doctor.

If you bring yours from the US you should be ok
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Pseudoephedrine is now no longer sold in Mexico, on its own or in formulations. For example, Claritin (loratadine) in Mexico is not sold in its "Claritin D" formulation. Unfortunately, the drug has been used to produce more powerful stimulants; the problem was less with tourists than with U.S. manufacturers selling pseudoephedrine in bulk quantities to Mexican companies in far larger quantities than could possibly be consumed by the domestic market, so the government regulated with a broad action that just banned the drug.

If you bring in the original packaging and the number of doses is small, you should be fine. At most, if you get the red light in Aduana (customs) and they notice that you have Sudafed in small, labeled quantities in the original packaging, it could be confiscated. A large amount, or in plain packaging, would be another matter and IMO risky; I'd probably not take anything over 24 doses.

As a diver, I've taken Claritin D into México several times (if I have slight congestion, I'll take this to decongest a few hours before diving). I've never been questioned nor had a problem. (I've resided in Mexico, visit often and have family and friends there I am literally in touch with on a daily basis.)

If there's another product that can do the job for you, of course that's the best answer.; oxymetazoline spray, used infrequently (rebound effect when used frequently) might help, for example. Ask your health professional or pharmacist -it's available OTC.

I feel the consulate staff would be more burdened than helpful with a question like this, and might be likely to give you incorrect or straight "out of the book" replies that won't necessarily be helpful, unfortunately.

I'd also recommend taking a read here, in the Travel Health and Fitness forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tc-thread.html

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I've learned much more than I ever wanted to about Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Mine has gotten so bad that my Dr. is wanting to do the new balloon procedure to re-inflate my ETs to get everything back to normal. I've cut down on flying a lot from where I was, but the 2 to 3 times a week up and down really did a number on me. Also, there were a few times I flew w/ sinus issues and that came back to bite me.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:39 am
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
You may bring pseudoephedrine Sudafed in for personal use. From the customs website http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/pasaje...ar_Mexico.aspx "medicamentos de uso personal (en caso de sustancias psicotrópicas debe mostrarse la receta médica)." -> medications for personal use (in the case of psychotropic substances a prescription must be shown).
So just mark "Yes" in the customs form where you declare if you are bringing medication with you and, since pseudoephedrine is classified as psychotropic, be prepared to show it and the prescription upon request.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA
I will be in Cozumel in a few weeks for a short dive trip. My doctor doesn't write prescriptions for OTC cold medicine (I don't need one to purchase Sudafed here, though its purchase is recorded).

I have nothing declarable on the Mexico customs card (e.g. $10K cash)

If I have a 24-ct box of generic pseudoephedrine, original packaging, in my toiletry kit and am red-lighted, is it the conventional wisdom that the worst thing that can happen is that it gets confiscated?

Thank you.

Last edited by backprop; Oct 4, 2015 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by backprop
I will be in Cozumel in a few weeks for a short dive trip. My doctor doesn't write prescriptions for OTC cold medicine (I don't need one to purchase Sudafed here, though its purchase is recorded).

I have nothing declarable on the Mexico customs card (e.g. $10K cash)

If I have a 24-ct box of generic pseudoephedrine, original packaging, in my toiletry kid and am red-lighted, is it the conventional wisdom that the worst thing that can happen is that it gets confiscated?

Thank you.
I've been taking loratadine with pseudoephedrine (Claritin-D) to Cozumel for years; never a problem, in the original packaging and reasonable quantities for daily use. 100 grams, I'd not do this.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
I've been taking loratadine with pseudoephedrine (Claritin-D) to Cozumel for years; never a problem, in the original packaging and reasonable quantities for daily use. 100 grams, I'd not do this.
Thanks. I gathered as much from your helpful earlier post. Do you mark "Yes" on a custom form to a "medication" question (I don't recall if/what the wording is on this, if any)?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by backprop
Thanks. I gathered as much from your helpful earlier post. Do you mark "Yes" on a custom form to a "medication" question (I don't recall if/what the wording is on this, if any)?

See or download a PDF of the customs form here: http://www.oma.aero/assets/006/5685.pdf

I'd never declare I was carrying "pharmaceutical or biological products of agricultural use" as indicated in the check-off part of the form. As far as this humble traveler is concerned, "pharmaceuticals" would inducate commercial quantities, and my meds are not for agricultural use; not "Oh, you mean my personal medicines, for my personal use? You are calling them "pharmaceuticals"?"

If they're going to use Spanglish in the form, I'm going to interpret it the way it's most favorable to me.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't the question say "pharmaceuticals...of agricultural use"? Wouldn't this mean drugs for livestock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.