Reload this Page >

San Miguel De Allende

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Miguel De Allende

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:15 pm

Question Does anyone have any information about the sidewalks of San Miguel de Allende Mexico

Does anyone have any information about the volcanic sidewalks of San Miguel de Allende Mexico. I am working on a picture book of SMA and cannot find any info about the sidewalk stones
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by san miguel
Does anyone have any information about the volcanic sidewalks of San Miguel de Allende Mexico. I am working on a picture book of SMA and cannot find any info about the sidewalk stones
Welcome to FT!

I thought they were mostly hand cut cobblestone or round river rock? They sure give a workout! We spent almost a month there last year and loved it - lost a bunch of weight walking the several blocks to the jardin every morning for coffee and wifi.

Last edited by bzbdewd; Apr 21, 2008 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Welcome to FT!

I thought they were mostly hand cut cobblestone or round river rock? They sure give a workout! We spent almost a month there last year and loved it - lost a bunch of weight walking the several blocks to the jardin every morning for coffee and wifi.
That’s what I thought. I did not think they were Volcanic.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:34 pm

Sidewalks of San Miguel

These stones are flat with colorful striations and are used on the sidewalks not the roads.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

The sidewalks and streets are made from different stones
(or cuts at least) The sidewalks are flat stones...the streets rounded cobble. Because the sidewalks are very narrow, uneven and often pitted with deep holes( electrical boxes missing their covers leaving a gapping hole plumetting into a mass tangle of electrocutable wires)...... always look down when walking in SMA ...many of us find ourselves walking in the streets.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by david4455
...always look down when walking in SMA ...many of us find ourselves walking in the streets.
Not just SMA. The same seems to be true in many other Mexican towns, especially when you get away from the main tourist areas.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
S.M.A. stones

I just spent four days in that town, walking around it from one side to the other and every which way. Lots of challenging sidewalks, yes, but I didn't see any volcanic rock--unless it was light brown or gray instead of black.
Old May 25, 2008, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A Google search of images for "San Miguel Allende streets" produces some photos, including this one, this one, this one and this one (latter zoomable.)

In my opinion, basaltic stone - a common mafic extrusive volcanic rock, commonly found and used in Mexico.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
San Miguel: what to see, where to stay and dine.

Not sure where to post this.going to San Miquel next month, need recommendations for where to stay (no budget), where to eat, what to see.....and how to get there from BJX airport. thanks
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:35 am

Moderators: Should move to the Mexico forum

BJX is the international airport servicing the city of Leon and surrounding area including San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, state capital of the Mexican state of Guanajuato.

There are transportation services in the airport terminal that can get you to San Miguel de Allende. Although if you are planning to explore the region you may find a rental car to be more useful to you. Read the sticky post in the Mexico forum regarding car rental in that country.

I'm guessing that is what you meant by going to San Miquel.

If you search online you can plenty of information about things to do and places to visit in the region. I personally do not care for San Miguel because of its "Americanization" over the years to support the many Norteamericano retirees that live there.

Leon is a working city and the de facto center of the shoe manufacturing industry in Mexico. This is the place to go if you want quality dress shoes or, even better, boots. Some of my favorite boot brands are made here.

Guanajuato city is both the capital of the state as well as a university town. Definitely worth a visit if not a long weekend. Take advantage of any cultural opportunities there such as a performance at their famous Teatro Juarez or at the University of Guanajuato.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:45 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread to the Mexico forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
San Miguel is a great place - its where I was able to convince my Mexican girlfriend to agree to become my fiancee. You might get as lucky, or not, she is now my wife and no longer available...

That was 8 years ago, so some things may have changed but I doubt it. We were there only two days so I dont have lots of advice, but:

There are lots of picturesque towns in Mexico, but San Miguel is probably the "best kept" of them. Because of the expat community SMA is quite prosperous and has very little of the "nothing is quite completed / half-completed" under-construction look; just about all buildings & streets are in excellent to very good repair.

The main cathedral is made of some kind of pink stone - very pretty and absolutely beautiful when lit up at night. I popped the question at a restaurant on the West side (on the right when facing the front of the church) with rooftop seating that overlooks the cathedral (well, its not actually "over" it - but you get the idea). Dont remember the name, but the food and service were excellent, and the view cannot be beat. IIRC it was attached or directly adjacent to the church, not across the street.

SMA has a very European-style colonial feel with all the cobble stone streets, colors, architecture etc (think of Old Town Alexandria, VA or Annapolis, MD). I like doors/entrances - I call SMA the city of doors because of its wonderful variety of doors and architectural details. It is also known as the city of churches - there are apparently more churches per capita there than anywhere else in Mexico - more than there are days in the week. Most them of are quite nice in decoration/art so peak your head in some of the larger ones.

Visit the library museum/bookstore - very nice. I remember taking a guided bus tour of the city and being very much glad I did - there is a lot of interesting history in the city. Visit the gardens sponsored by Salma Hayek. It was not at all expensive (and then I was a lot more budget conscious then I am now), the tour guide was excellent and you get a very good layout of the city. There is a great view from up on the hill overlooking the city - very pretty.

Being retirees, the expats have lots of time to indugle their creative sides and you will find an inordinate amount of art and cultural activity going on here as well as studios and lots of galleries and classes in cooking, painting, textile art, ceramics, etc.

Yeah, it has the largest US expat community in Mexico (and lots of europeans) and that has definitely had an influence on the style there. But I think not in the negative but rather for the better - at least there. The locals definitely cater to expats in the signage, services, cultural offerings, quality of service, food, goods, etc, and actually successfully deliver it day in and day out. But do not get the impression that by "americanization" you will see strip malls, chain stores, or fast food in this place. So yeah, if you are looking for a typical second/third world authentic-not-up-to-modern-US/Euro-suburban standard of living, than SMA is not the place for you. But if you like beautiful, old-style colonial look and feel with first world quality, then you will like this place.

as for hotels I wont be as useful. My wife's habit si for us to land in a city and then look for a place. We were there just after Xmas and I remember we found a place about 300 yards down from the zocalo that was quiet, modern, friendly, good service, and not expensive - about like a hyatt in quality and about $75/night.

I hope you have a great time - its a very neat place.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by Section 107
San Miguel is a great place - its where I was able to convince my Mexican girlfriend to agree to become my fiancee. You might get as lucky, or not, she is now my wife and no longer available...

That was 8 years ago, so some things may have changed but I doubt it. We were there only two days so I dont have lots of advice, but:

There are lots of picturesque towns in Mexico, but San Miguel is probably the "best kept" of them. Because of the expat community SMA is quite prosperous and has very little of the "nothing is quite completed / half-completed" under-construction look; just about all buildings & streets are in excellent to very good repair.

The main cathedral is made of some kind of pink stone - very pretty and absolutely beautiful when lit up at night. I popped the question at a restaurant on the West side (on the right when facing the front of the church) with rooftop seating that overlooks the cathedral (well, its not actually "over" it - but you get the idea). Dont remember the name, but the food and service were excellent, and the view cannot be beat. IIRC it was attached or directly adjacent to the church, not across the street.

SMA has a very European-style colonial feel with all the cobble stone streets, colors, architecture etc (think of Old Town Alexandria, VA or Annapolis, MD). I like doors/entrances - I call SMA the city of doors because of its wonderful variety of doors and architectural details. It is also known as the city of churches - there are apparently more churches per capita there than anywhere else in Mexico - more than there are days in the week. Most them of are quite nice in decoration/art so peak your head in some of the larger ones.

Visit the library museum/bookstore - very nice. I remember taking a guided bus tour of the city and being very much glad I did - there is a lot of interesting history in the city. Visit the gardens sponsored by Salma Hayek. It was not at all expensive (and then I was a lot more budget conscious then I am now), the tour guide was excellent and you get a very good layout of the city. There is a great view from up on the hill overlooking the city - very pretty.

Being retirees, the expats have lots of time to indugle their creative sides and you will find an inordinate amount of art and cultural activity going on here as well as studios and lots of galleries and classes in cooking, painting, textile art, ceramics, etc.

Yeah, it has the largest US expat community in Mexico (and lots of europeans) and that has definitely had an influence on the style there. But I think not in the negative but rather for the better - at least there. The locals definitely cater to expats in the signage, services, cultural offerings, quality of service, food, goods, etc, and actually successfully deliver it day in and day out. But do not get the impression that by "americanization" you will see strip malls, chain stores, or fast food in this place. So yeah, if you are looking for a typical second/third world authentic-not-up-to-modern-US/Euro-suburban standard of living, than SMA is not the place for you. But if you like beautiful, old-style colonial look and feel with first world quality, then you will like this place.

as for hotels I wont be as useful. My wife's habit si for us to land in a city and then look for a place. We were there just after Xmas and I remember we found a place about 300 yards down from the zocalo that was quiet, modern, friendly, good service, and not expensive - about like a hyatt in quality and about $75/night.

I hope you have a great time - its a very neat place.
thank you for taking the time for your very helpful post. Looking forward to my trip in Feb........love looking and buying art which is always the reason for me to travel. Thanks again, BTW: I am a woman in my mid-seventies and very happy to be single. Love the fact that you married your Mexican girlfriend!! You will have beautiful children..I am sure. Ms. Steppie
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Heading to San Miguel de Allende? FYI: Reservations Required

Proof of hotel reservations are now required to gain access into the city. I also heard that home rentals and AirB&B are prohibited until they enter " phase 3".....which according to my sources is a ways off.

BTW...the picture in the article of the house ( with the model in front) is OUR house.

https://themazatlanpost.com/2020/08/...owed-to-enter/
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
San Miguel de Allende Requires Visitor QR Code for Entry

The town of San Miguel de Allende in Guanajuato state, Mexico, is requiring tourists to display a QR code on their smart devices to be allowed to enter town. It is the responsibility of the travel company the visitor is using to issue the QR code, which is an indication the visitor has legally permitted bookings.

“Hotels, restaurants, event organizers, and all establishments that operate a reservation system will generate this QR Code and send it to the visitor... “visitors are allowed access after verifying the passengers temperature and the use of face masks.“

San Miguel Times — link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.