San Miguel De Allende

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Miguel De Allende

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
I can't wait to go back! This is part of my trip report (for our family & friends) of our time in San Miguel.....
..... Some of my photos from SMdA are here and bzbdavid's are here. - we took dozens more but never got around to posting them on flickr.
bzbdewd:

I have seen your photos ... great! I want to make peace with you and all other San Miguel lovers.... here are the Conde Nast TOP CITIES in the Americas:

1. Buenos Aires
2. Vancouver
3. Victoria
4. Quebec City
5. San Miguel de Allende
6. Cuzco
7. Montreal
8. Oaxaca
9. Toronto
10. Rio de Janeiro
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Oh Bummer! I hate it when one of my favorite places makes a "list"..... generally a Starbucks is soon to follow.....
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Still researching....wondering if anyone would recommend a particular home they rented or a Spanish school (teacher) they used? We are thinking of taking our young adult children there for about a wk to learn/improve their Spanish (their idea). Wish it was on the ocean because they surf but I guess one can't have everything! Thanks,
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Saludos desde SMA.
To the LP:
Suggest you post your queries on the SMA forum on tripadvisor where myself and other residents can give suitable advice.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Oh Bummer! I hate it when one of my favorite places makes a "list"..... generally a Starbucks is soon to follow.....
Starbucks San Miguel opens this week or next!

See: www.bastayasma.blogspot.com
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by londinense
Starbucks San Miguel opens this week or next!

See: www.bastayasma.blogspot.com
That actually makes me want to cry....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:47 am

Starbucks opened yesterday (March 25). It's right on the Jardín. The Basta Ya people were out in force, asking people to sign a petition to CEO and handing out leaflets informing where you can get a decent cup of 'local' coffee.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:16 am

Starbucks opened yesterday (March 25). It's right on the Jardín. The Basta Ya people were out in force, asking people to sign a petition to CEO and handing out leaflets informing where you can get a decent cup of 'local' coffee.
^^Good for them!! ^^
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

My partner is there now and he said it was actually not well attended...about 25 people ( almost all gringos) standing on the sidewalk and holding a sign....

That said I am one of these SMA gringo homeowners who wonder what right do we have to protest Starbucks...we are guests in this country and not every decision SMA makes has to be for the gringo-minded. That feels too arrogant. In fact it is my understanding that a lot of the SMA tourism are wealthy Mexicans....who love Starbucks.

I understand, although I have heard both good and bad, that the sign is too big and too prominant on the main square... that is an easy fix as opposed to running *bucks out of town.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Yes its an open economy but to me its a shame to have a Starbucks in town.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Yes its an open economy but to me its a shame to have a Starbucks in town.
I agree with you emotionally, but suspect we love to hate SB because of their success and accessibility.

Doesn't SMA already have Domino's and KFC or Pollo Campero with the motorcycle delivery? And Gigante and Costco, mercifully not near the Jardin? I rarely go to Starbucks unless a companion wants to, but they are attractive enough stores and will have less of an impact on the Jardin than 2 or three BurgerKings and a couple of McDonald's most European cities have on their major plazas.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lili
I agree with you emotionally, but suspect we love to hate SB because of their success and accessibility.

Doesn't SMA already have Domino's and KFC or Pollo Campero with the motorcycle delivery? And Gigante and Costco, mercifully not near the Jardin? I rarely go to Starbucks unless a companion wants to, but they are attractive enough stores and will have less of an impact on the Jardin than 2 or three BurgerKings and a couple of McDonald's most European cities have on their major plazas.

SMA has a Dominos (which is actually quite good and they deliver in 30 minutes or its free), Dunkin Donuts ( which is on the opposite corner of the new Starbucks), several Polla Feliz, a thriving Mega, a not so thriving Gigante( which was just sold to another chain), an Office Depot, and a recently opened McDonalds ( but not in the centro core)...

A friend emailed today and had stopped in the Starbucks...thought it was tastefully done and had a delicious frappaccino which hit the spot on this warm day....
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:28 pm

I have nothing much against Bigbucks myself and have bought coffee from them in the past. I think the point of the demo (at which there was a good sprinkling of Mexicans BTW, and many others would have attended if they did not have work commitments) was to point out to people that there are plenty of other places for a good coffee in SMA. That's what the leaflets that were being distributed were saying. And these places are locally owned and locally run, with the profits staying in town and not being expatriated to Seattle.
I am sure there will be plenty of Chilangos visiting SMA who like the idea of *B as a symbol of status or whatever, and they are welcome to it. Most locals can't afford those prices, and most foreign residents prefer to take their $ elsewhere.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: most
Originally Posted by lili

The SBs in San Diego are awful. Dirty. No personality. Baristas and counter people who are not service-oriented. Most have old pastries. And, particularly, I don't like its coffee. Unfortunately, there aren't enough good coffee shops in this area. Sorry, if I got off the SMA-track here, but I felt the need to respond to this comment.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:59 pm

Starbucks is one of the best companies!

Originally Posted by Tomayto
The SBs in San Diego are awful. Dirty. No personality. Baristas and counter people who are not service-oriented. Most have old pastries. And, particularly, I don't like its coffee. Unfortunately, there aren't enough good coffee shops in this area. Sorry, if I got off the SMA-track here, but I felt the need to respond to this comment.
I am sorry about your experiences @ Stabucks! Personally I work for Starbucks in Dallas, TX USA. The only thing that I can say it is one of the best companies to work for. Referring to the "old pastries" I am sorry but we just keep our pastries for 3 days. If they do not sell we just mark them out and we throw them away, and it is the same for ALL Starbucks. We put a stickers that remind us when to throw them away on every plate. So there is no way the pastries can be old/dry. Recommendation: If your pastry is old, let your barista know and he/she will change it for a fresh one! I am so exited Starbucks has a location in my home town (San Miguel de Allende) I will transfer to work there for part of the Summer! yay! If you do knot know about Starbucks' drinks ask your barista for samples! He/she would be more than happy to help you, our mission is to teach people about coffee!

Starbucks :-::-::-::-::-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.