Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viajero Confiable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Viajero Confiable

Has anyone applied recently for Viajero Confiable? It's the Mexican sister program to Global Entry.

I applied about a week ago - here.

I didn't get any acknowledgement by email and there's no way to check status AFAIK.

Also not a lot of chatter around the web, e.g. Reddit, about how useful or accessible this program is. Not much to go on in this forum either, hence the new thread.

I flying to MEX in 2 weeks - is there something I can do there?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I did it about 5 years back. My main point of entry was MEX. Overall I found the program to be worthless, and let it expire.
Issues - they had two VC machines. More often than not they were out of service. The actual process was not very different than filling out the old form, just doing it on a screen instead of paper, so little time savings. Lastly, the printed "visa" was treated with suspicion every time from both airline reps at departure check in, to the visa collection when boarding (though with paper visas no longer being the norm this is less of an issue.

That being said, the process was straightforward. I did get an email confirming, and did have to make an appointment for my interview (which took about 20-25 minutes, outside security on the departures level). But if you have enough time in MEX to take a run at it (and get back through security if you have a connection, I would say go to the immigration office and give it a shot. Normally I find bureaucracy pretty inflexible, but there is always a chance...

Sorry I can't provide more current information. I would ask that you update here with your experience when you can. If the system has gotten better, I would be inclined to take another swing at it.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Honestly, I feel like this program might be winding down (though I have no factual support for that). I believe I read somewhere that with the trend toward installing e-gates, getting rid of paper FMM, etc. that the Viajero Confiable program doesn't have as much relevance. In fact, if memory serves me from my last trip to Cabo, I believe they have already removed the few kiosks that they had up against the wall for VC (I never actually saw anyone use them in all the years they were there)

Regards
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, I feel like this program might be winding down (though I have no factual support for that). I believe I read somewhere that with the trend toward installing e-gates, getting rid of paper FMM, etc. that the Viajero Confiable program doesn't have as much relevance. In fact, if memory serves me from my last trip to Cabo, I believe they have already removed the few kiosks that they had up against the wall for VC (I never actually saw anyone use them in all the years they were there)

Regards
My MEX Dec/Jan experiences make it seem like even if it doesn't disappear, it won't be worth anyone's while. Dec - T1 arrival - US passport holders were sent to machines. Took all of a couple minutes (of course, this meant waiting an hour at the baggage carousel). Jan - T2 arrival - no machines in operation (not the new ones, nor did it appear the VC ones) but a very short wait for an officer.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks - following up on VC is no longer on my to-do list.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My MEX Dec/Jan experiences make it seem like even if it doesn't disappear, it won't be worth anyone's while. Dec - T1 arrival - US passport holders were sent to machines. Took all of a couple minutes (of course, this meant waiting an hour at the baggage carousel). Jan - T2 arrival - no machines in operation (not the new ones, nor did it appear the VC ones) but a very short wait for an officer.
Arrived at MEX from the USA 2 weeks ago and only Mexican citizens were transferred to the machines. All the others including USA and Canadian citizens were in the line to the human officers. It was relatively fast but not as fast and advanced as a year ago in Cancun. My Canadian friends who arrived in Cancun also 2 weeks ago say they were sent to humans unlike the last year when in Cancun Americans and Canadians were served by the machines just as Mexicans.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
Arrived at MEX from the USA 2 weeks ago and only Mexican citizens were transferred to the machines. All the others including USA and Canadian citizens were in the line to the human officers. It was relatively fast but not as fast and advanced as a year ago in Cancun. My Canadian friends who arrived in Cancun also 2 weeks ago say they were sent to humans unlike the last year when in Cancun Americans and Canadians were served by the machines just as Mexicans.
So in these two instances (US and Canadians, MEX and Cancun) can you say if having VC would have helped you? Or was it just not available at immigration?

cheers
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Originally Posted by 000derek
So in these two instances (US and Canadians, MEX and Cancun) can you say if having VC would have helped you? Or was it just not available at immigration?
From my year ago experience at Cancun when the process wasn't noticeably different from the experience of entering the USA with Global Entry, I would say nothing additional like Viajero Confiable was needed.

When I was entering Mexico at Mexico City earlier this month, I didn't see anything associated with Viajero Confiable which doesn't mean there wasn't anything like that. I saw only two options - Mexican citizens were sent to the kiosks and all the foreigners were sent to the human officers. No special options for USA and Canadian citizens like a year ago at Cancun. But I must say the line to human officers was faster than I thought it would be and taking this into account, I think I wouldn't want to apply for Viajero Confiable to speed up what was already fast. My conversation with the officer took us less than a minute, for example, and the main question was how to say "goodbye" in my first language which was determined by the birth country in my U.S. passport.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:37 am

Does Mexico’s Viajero Confiable (Trusted Traveller) program actually exist?

The website describes the Viajero Confiable program and explains the process for getting access if you are a U.S. Citizen with Global Entry.

I completed the online application, printed the form, and took it to the appropriate migration office in T2 of MEX in Mexico City.

The staff told me that the program does not actually exist. I tried to get more information, but they just apologized and said there is no such program even though the website says so.

What on earth is going on?
RFNJ likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Johnmcd
The website describes the Viajero Confiable program and explains the process for getting access if you are a U.S. Citizen with Global Entry.

I completed the online application, printed the form, and took it to the appropriate migration office in T2 of MEX in Mexico City.

The staff told me that the program does not actually exist. I tried to get more information, but they just apologized and said there is no such program even though the website says so.

What on earth is going on?
It did exist at one point, that's for sure.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:12 pm

It did exist at one point, that's for sure.
I went back and asked a separate person in the same office (INM, T2, MEX) and she said that they haven't accepted new applications for 6-12 months and that the program "no longer exists."

She had no answer for why you can still complete an online application.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:46 am

Well, thank you for getting us an update. Not what I had hoped for - it would be nice to have a GOES type entry into Mexico. But given all the problems I had when I did have the viajeros confiable, I am not surprised that they shut it down. It never was given good support or had wide acceptance.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RFNJ
Well, thank you for getting us an update. Not what I had hoped for - it would be nice to have a GOES type entry into Mexico. But given all the problems I had when I did have the viajeros confiable, I am not surprised that they shut it down. It never was given good support or had wide acceptance.
If MEX would go to a "mostly kiosk" system instead of a "mostly human interaction" system (and it seems like that might be the plan, but who knows), that would obviate much of the need for VC.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:28 am

If MEX would go to a "mostly kiosk" system instead of a "mostly human interaction" system (and it seems like that might be the plan, but who knows), that would obviate much of the need for VC.
If Mexican Immigration and Customs could both just "pick a lane and stick with it" so to speak, I would be satisfied. It gets a little tiring not knowing what to expect when I go down the stairs at MEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.