Reload this Page >

Mexico City hotel location advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City hotel location advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
...also right behind the Hilton is the Popular Art museum and across the street from the Hilton is the Diego Riviera mural museum. Ok...👋👋👋👋👋
lxfc likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by lxfc
This is super useful, thank you so much! We will be there 3 full days excluding travel arrangements. Arriving on a Saturday evening, then we have Sun-Tue free, and leaving on the Wednesday. Your outline sounds really good, I’ll look into it. Thanks again!
I would make just one suggestion above what Global Adventurer already said. If at all possible, you should definitely visit the anthropology museum (Museo de Antropología). It's in Chapultepec Park, and you can even walk it from the southern part of Reforma, or take the Metrobús straight there. It's an absolutely fascinating museum, with so many artifacts from all over the country. It's truly one of my favorite museums anywhere in the world, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
TWA884 and lxfc like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I would make just one suggestion above what Global Adventurer already said. If at all possible, you should definitely visit the anthropology museum (Museo de Antropología). It's in Chapultepec Park, and you can even walk it from the southern part of Reforma, or take the Metrobús straight there. It's an absolutely fascinating museum, with so many artifacts from all over the country. It's truly one of my favorite museums anywhere in the world, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
I agree, because it's like going to Cairo and not going to their museums.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 11:11 am

Duly noted, will most definetly stop by. thank you!
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lxfc
Duly noted, will most definetly stop by. thank you!
I'll add to the list of must see the Diego Rivera murals at the Palacio Nacional and the Frida Kahlo Museum. If you like Auguste Rodin, Museo Soumaya has a large collection.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I'll add to the list of must see the Diego Rivera murals at the Palacio Nacional and the Frida Kahlo Museum. If you like Auguste Rodin, Museo Soumaya has a large collection.
Did Palacio Nacional reopen? The president closed it for several reasons. Since we're adding additional places don't forget about the Trotsky Museum (my favorite actually) and you can take your time going through. Photos of Frida in there too.

There's so many places in the city the OP would have to return and still not see everything. There's the Frida and Diego studio in San Angel too.

Typing this from a bar in Zona Rosa 😀 down the street from my hotel room at the Sheraton. Waiting on the fireworks 🎇
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Did Palacio Nacional reopen?
Unfortunately, I have not been to CDMX since before the Covid-19 pandemic; however, from the The official visitors guide to Mexico City:

Visits are by guided tour only. Prior reservations should be requested to [email protected] or at the entrance to the SHCP Museum, Museo de la Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:15 pm

Unfortunately, I have not been to CDMX since before the Covid-19 pandemic; however, from the The official visitors guide to Mexico City:

THe pandemic closed it, and then the president had death threats and since he actually lives there they decided to close it. The problem with tours is the fact they need to be on specific days because at a moments notice the entire facility could be shutdown due to protests without any notice, and they erect steel riot barriers. Both of the indoor museums and courtyard are still open daily though that are attached to the Palace. You can see part of the murals leading up the stairs while you wait in line. Depending on who's guarding that area they'll let some people sneak in. One officer told me to go around the do not cross bannister and later another officer told me I wasn't permitted.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The problem with tours is the fact they need to be on specific days because at a moments notice the entire facility could be shutdown due to protests without any notice, and they erect steel riot barriers. Both of the indoor museums and courtyard are still open daily though that are attached to the Palace. You can see part of the murals leading up the stairs while you wait in line. Depending on who's guarding that area they'll let some people sneak in. One officer told me to go around the do not cross bannister and later another officer told me I wasn't permitted.
That's unfortunate. I liked Diego Rivera's murals in the Palacio Nacional infinitely better than the ones at the Palacio de Bellas Artes.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:35 pm

That's unfortunate. I liked Diego Rivera's murals in the Palacio Nacional infinitely better than the ones at the Palacio de Bellas Artes.
Believe it or not, I've live here for 6 years now and never was able to see the murals, all my own fault for putting it off and in 2020 it was totally put off limits 🥹. That's why it's a good thing to go see stuff when you can before it's off limits or permanently shut down.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:30 pm

Just finished a 5 night stay at Four Points for a total of 67k (including the 5th night free). Would recommend it for a solid hotel in a great area as it's on the main street in Roma Norte with a ton of restaurants and street food nearby. This was our 3rd trip to CDMX (we have been in 2018 and 2022) and I was happy with the stay - we had great housekeeping, lot of complimentary water and an upgrade to the junior suite (with Titanium status). Above average breakfast buffet.
dhammer53 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.