Reload this Page >

Mexico City hotel location advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City hotel location advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by g2x222
I have an upcoming work trip to Mexico City for a couple of weeks. My office is in Polanco, a couple of blocks north of Museo Jumex. Looking at my corporate booking portal for what's "reasonably" priced, I'm looking at the following options, by neighborhood:
  • (Old) Hyatt Regency [Polanco] - closest to the office, but not really close enough to walk
  • Andaz [Condesa]
  • Mondrian [Condesa] - a little bit pricier than the Andaz
  • Le Meridien [Reforma] - seems to be a decent area for evening/weekend sightseeing, also the cheapest option
  • Hilton [Reforma]
  • Hilton [Santa Fe]
  • Westin [Santa Fe]
  • JW Marriott [Santa Fe]
I'm leaning to the Andaz in Condesa - I've been to CDMX once and stayed near Condesa in the Hipodromo neighborhood, and I loved it. Lots of cafes, shops, and greenery. The downside is that I have no status or points with Hyatt.

Despite being some of the newest/nicest (on paper), perhaps I'll rule out the Santa Fe hotels, as there's not a lot going on down there for evenings/weekends.

Also, if it matters, I have Gold status with Marriott and Hilton (through my Amex) and some points with both. I've had luck with hotels outside the US with this level of status years ago, but I'm not sure it'll get me much these days.
The old Hyatt in Polanco would be your best bet on your list. It's about a 30-40 minute walk. Rest of the hotels you listed would be way over that and a Uber would be recommended.

If you're looking for an area for the evening Condesa would be recommended by Uber from your workplace, or again Polanco by walking. Do not stay in Sante Fe, it's too far out.

Any of the midrange hotels on reforma would be ok, but in the later evening you would have to walk south for bars/restaurants.

Another hotel not on your list but in a perfect location is the Sheraton Four Points in Roma Norte on the main strip which would give you evening/night access to Condesa too.

It boils down to either a hotel near your work site or where you want to spend your evenings. I generally select hotels where I want to spend my evenings.

With Gold you could be upgraded with late check out but complimentary breakfast probably not. Therefore, select the hotel that's more convenient.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:27 am

Hilton vs Marriott

What are people’s thoughts on the Hilton Reforma when it comes to location, breakfast and general safety? First stay in CDMX for us. We’re not going to be wandering endlessly at night by ourselves, but being able to walk to places would be nice, vs Ubering.

Considering a 4 nights stay there, but am flexible and could also stay in the Sheraton Maria Isabel, the Four Points, or the Umbro.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lxfc
What are people’s thoughts on the Hilton Reforma when it comes to location, breakfast and general safety? First stay in CDMX for us. We’re not going to be wandering endlessly at night by ourselves, but being able to walk to places would be nice, vs Ubering.

Considering a 4 nights stay there, but am flexible and could also stay in the Sheraton Maria Isabel, the Four Points, or the Umbro.
I'd stay at the Sheraton Maria Isabel or the Four Points in a minute before the others, based upon location. Between those two, it is a matter of rather being near the Zona Rosa or in Roma Norte for your "close to the hotel" walks.
dhammer53 and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

I stay at the Hilton Reforma for certain holidays in the city because it's in the middle of all the action during the day of the dead, independence day, and Christmas. I've also stayed at the Hampton inn, Zócalo at two different hotels but in the evenings things shutdown earlier compared to other areas so I personally like Hilton Reforma for the holidays.The majority of street vendors are out in full force at that time up and down Juarez going into the Zócalo so you can walk around there day and evening safely. For New Year's Eve it's best to be at Sheraton on Reforma. If coming any other time and want to be near Zona Rosa stay at Sheraton Reforma. If you want to be around Roma Norte and have short walk to Condesa stay at Sheraton 4 points. Or if you want a central location to explore Reforma and easily get to the historical center, the Zócalo, Roma Norte, and Zona Rosa stay at the Sheraton on Reforma. You have metro bus #7 up and down reforma and metro bus #1 up and down Insurgentes that will cover many places to visit.

I'll be at the Sheraton tomorrow for New Year's Eve. The focal point to enjoy the concert and fireworks.

Have a good stay.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd stay at the Sheraton Maria Isabel or the Four Points in a minute before the others, based upon location. Between those two, it is a matter of rather being near the Zona Rosa or in Roma Norte for your "close to the hotel" walks.
A question on the Four Points (assuming you mean the one on Alvaro Obregón) - have you stayed there before? If so, are the rooms quiet? I usually stay at another hotel in that neighborhood, not as nice as the Four Points but rather cheaper. I've thought about upgrading to the Four Points on a future trip, but I've always been worried that the noise from the traffic, bars, and restaurants there would travel up to the room. The place I stay at is far away from all the nightlife and essentially across the street from the hospital, so it's blessedly quiet most of the time.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
A question on the Four Points (assuming you mean the one on Alvaro Obregón) - have you stayed there before? If so, are the rooms quiet? I usually stay at another hotel in that neighborhood, not as nice as the Four Points but rather cheaper. I've thought about upgrading to the Four Points on a future trip, but I've always been worried that the noise from the traffic, bars, and restaurants there would travel up to the room. The place I stay at is far away from all the nightlife and essentially across the street from the hospital, so it's blessedly quiet most of the time.
I'm not the person you are responding to, but I've stayed there, and I personally don't think it is noisy. It's at the end of the strip where it's not as noisy and you don't have to get a room directly on the street. But I slept like a baby when I was there and my room faced the major road. The only noise I recalled was from a large group of guests gathered in the lobby that night I was there.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I stay at the Hilton Reforma for certain holidays in the city because it's in the middle of all the action during the day of the dead, independence day, and Christmas. I've also stayed at the Hampton inn, Zócalo at two different hotels but in the evenings things shutdown earlier compared to other areas so I personally like Hilton Reforma for the holidays.The majority of street vendors are out in full force at that time up and down Juarez going into the Zócalo so you can walk around there day and evening safely...
I'll add a few more comments. I was there a few days ago, and the area around the Zocalo was like nothing I'd ever seen. We were in an UBER coming from Basílica de Santa María de Guadalupeand finally had the UBER drop us off nearby, as the traffic was horrendous, even by CDMX standards. When we were done in the area, the traffic was so congested in every direction that we decided to walk a bit to get an UBER, and could see that it wouldn't help. Even by the Hilton, it looked like the cars would have trouble getting through, so we ended up walking as far as the Barceló to get a car. (And I noticed a lot of out-of-state license plates, likely meaning tourism was on a year-end roll.) Hopefully the 1 Metro line will be fully open by my next visit!
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:40 am

Just additional information on some of the hotel benefits for top tier members. Sheraton Four Points has free hot breakfast only. Sheraton Reforma has free hot breakfast and free adult drinks/food in the evening, but only Beer/Wine. Hilton Reforma has the Executive Lounge open all day for hot breakfast, lunch time fruit, cookies, coffee, sodas/water and evenings with adult beverages including liquor and dinner.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:42 am

I'm not the person you are responding to, but I've stayed there, and I personally don't think it is noisy. It's at the end of the strip where it's not as noisy and you don't have to get a room directly on the street. But I slept like a baby when I was there and my room faced the major road. The only noise I recalled was from a large group of guests gathered in the lobby that night I was there.
Thank you for the response! Maybe I'll roll the dice and try it sometime. I'm always nervous in Latin America because noise tends to be a major issue, but after several experiences at the nearby hotel (Marbella), I know how to ensure I can sleep well - I get a room on a high floor facing Frontera/Cuauhtémoc and put the fan on for white noise overnight. I am really tempted to try the Four Points, though.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'll add a few more comments. I was there a few days ago, and the area around the Zocalo was like nothing I'd ever seen. We were in an UBER coming from Basílica de Santa María de Guadalupeand finally had the UBER drop us off nearby, as the traffic was horrendous, even by CDMX standards. When we were done in the area, the traffic was so congested in every direction that we decided to walk a bit to get an UBER, and could see that it wouldn't help. Even by the Hilton, it looked like the cars would have trouble getting through, so we ended up walking as far as the Barceló to get a car. (And I noticed a lot of out-of-state license plates, likely meaning tourism was on a year-end roll.) Hopefully the 1 Metro line will be fully open by my next visit!
It's always like that around the holidays. It will be worse starting today, because they are starting to shut down all the major roads around Paseo de La Reforma to set up the fireworks and concert stage and all the monitors up and down the blvd. All the side streets will be closed.

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Thank you for the response! Maybe I'll roll the dice and try it sometime. I'm always nervous in Latin America because noise tends to be a major issue, but after several experiences at the nearby hotel (Marbella), I know how to ensure I can sleep well - I get a room on a high floor facing Frontera/Cuauhtémoc and put the fan on for white noise overnight. I am really tempted to try the Four Points, though.
Just do it! The nosiest place to me in this city at night is Zona Rosa, especially if you stay at the NH Collection hotel on Liverpool. Roma Norte isn't close to that by Sheraton Four Points. I'm only a few blocks from there and walk that area often it's nothing to be concerned about. If you go come back and tell everyone your experience. Also ALL the hotels (Zocalo Central, Gran Hotel, Best Western, Hampton Inn, Robles etc), in the zocalo are extra noisy so never stay there, like not at all.🙉

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 30, 2023 at 12:27 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:08 am

Just do it! The nosiest place to me in this city at night is Zona Rosa, especially if you stay at the NH Collection hotel on Liverpool. Roma Norte isn't close to that by Sheraton Four Points. I'm only a few blocks from there and walk that area often it's nothing to be concerned about. If you go come back and tell everyone your experience. Also ALL the hotels (Zocalo Central, Gran Hotel, Best Western, Hampton Inn, Robles etc), in the zocalo are extra noisy so never stay there, like not at all.🙉
No, I wouldn't stay in the Zócalo area for a bunch of reasons. I've stayed at a few places on the side streets around Reforma in the past, and at the Galería Plaza Reforma (which was fine except for the time that the city decided to jackhammer the street in front every night from 11pm-5am). And of course when I've been at a conference and they've put me up in one of the luxury high-rises in the Zona Hotelera in Polanco, noise wasn't an issue. But like everywhere in Latin America, there's really no noise control in Mexico, so when I find a place that's reliably quiet, I'm very reluctant to go somewhere else.

It's good to hear that the Four Points is quiet. I'll have to check the prices next time I go down, which will hopefully be soon!
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:55 am

Thank you everyone for the pointers, much appreciated. Some more context on my trip which may help narrow the ideal location down:

- 4 nights, end of March
- Gold status at Hilton, nothing at Marriott
- Corporate discounts at both, between status and that prices for both hotel chain are pretty much the same.
- We’re foodies, so having easy access to street food / local restaurants is a big plus for us. As we are not staying very long (we’re continuing the journey to another LATAM country) we’ll have to be picky on activities. I thought about some food tour for one day, museum / city the next, and perhaps teotihuacan by hot air balloon on the last. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that has never been to Mexico, so I may be completely off on the things to do

Given the above, would you still recommend the Sheraton as ideal location? I currently hold a reservation there as well as at the Hilton, and will just cancel that which is not needed.

Thanks folks, we’re excited to visit!
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:43 am

Thank you everyone for the pointers, much appreciated. Some more context on my trip which may help narrow the ideal location down:

- 4 nights, end of March
- Gold status at Hilton, nothing at Marriott
- Corporate discounts at both, between status and that prices for both hotel chain are pretty much the same.
- We’re foodies, so having easy access to street food / local restaurants is a big plus for us. As we are not staying very long (we’re continuing the journey to another LATAM country) we’ll have to be picky on activities. I thought about some food tour for one day, museum / city the next, and perhaps teotihuacan by hot air balloon on the last. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that has never been to Mexico, so I may be completely off on the things to do

Given the above, would you still recommend the Sheraton as ideal location? I currently hold a reservation there as well as at the Hilton, and will just cancel that which is not needed.

Thanks folks, we’re excited to visit!
March is the perfect month to come as all the Jacaranda trees should still be in bloom.

Since you're looking for street food and traditional restaurants, staying at the Hilton would be my recommendation because one of the most traditional restaurants ( El Cardenal) in the city is located inside the Hilton Reforma. They have a location a couple blocks from the Zócalo too. Since there's one in the Hilton it would be easier to go and avoid the lines.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/g6a1yt8Y6mAwSE317

Also across the street and down the street from the Hilton are street food vendors. Straight up the street (Juarez) is the monument of the revolution where street vendors are too. And of course walking towards the Zócalo there's some.

The area around the hotel is safe at night and across the street is the park and some street entertainers.

You can always catch an Uber to the main strip (Av. Álvaro Obregón) in Roma Norte for an evening dinner/drink. It's safe to walk around all evening.

Not sure which days of the week you'll be in CDMX but on Mondays basically all museums are closed, including the Anthropology museum. Sundays is family day where the citizens get free admission to most museums and activities. So arrive early before the lines are long.

I would recommend going to the pyramids and schedule an entire day there. Hot air balloon?...make sure you select the best company no matter how much they charge. Personally, Cappadocia region in Turkey has the best hot air balloon ride and views of anywhere in the world. I went once and no other places would be worth it. (just my opinion).

With limited time, I would suggest going on the Hop on Hop Off bus to get an overview of the city. Take the historic center bus and the the Coyoacán bus. No need in getting off, just take it to sight see and get good photos. Try to get up front right side or the last seat in the bus on the right side. If you're going to be here the last week of March, there's a hop on off bus that goes to the basilica, where there should be a large number of people there for good Friday/Easter. You don't need to get off the bus unless the driver decides to take a break and they will tell you when to come back, like 10 minutes etc.

If your 4 days include your arrival and departure days, that only gives you 2 full days so, on your arrival day check out the Zócalo,. The next day go to the pyramids and the next day to Chapultepec park and that evening eat in Roma Norte. If you still have time take the Hop on Hop Off bus to Coyoacán. That's my suggestions, others may differ.
lxfc likes this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Dec 31, 2023 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:48 am

This is super useful, thank you so much! We will be there 3 full days excluding travel arrangements. Arriving on a Saturday evening, then we have Sun-Tue free, and leaving on the Wednesday. Your outline sounds really good, I’ll look into it. Thanks again!
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:01 am

You're welcome, and enjoy your stay! I can guarantee you will be back 😀 Happy New Year 🎉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.