Reload this Page >

Mexico City hotel location advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City hotel location advice

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by realworld
Thanks, I like easy when arriving at an international airport, especially one I have not been at before.
Uber started picking up from the airport again a few months ago, after some taxi union disputes. So you're good to go whenever you arrive.
realworld likes this.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by realworld
Are ubers pretty plenty and easy to get, even late at night? And is it just the uber app or like the US better to have multiple and if so, any app unique to Mexico?
Personally, I prefer Cabify and only use Uber in Mexico City if the Cabify wait is extra long.

And I'd recommend the Marriott forum for threads about both the Sheraton and Four Points. We've stayed at both and would definitely return to either. We probably prefer the Sheraton a bit, because of the lounge, but the neighborhood at the Four Points is fantastic.
realworld and raffe like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
OP and others with upcoming travel to Mexico City and surrounding areas, keep tabs on the below information regarding possible delays in air traffic etc.

Volcano Alert Mexico City & Puebla & México State
Old May 22, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 14, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I definitely understand. I'm the same way. That's why my #1 hotel on Paseo de la Reforma is the Sheraton Isabel. Not so much for "no noise" but for location whenever anything big is happening in CDMX.

Try the Sheraton Four Points next time and come back and give your opinion. No other hotel chain can beat it in my opinion, for its location.
Good day. We are coming in on Oct 27-Nov 3 specifically for Day of the Dead, but will also venture out to the Xochimilco canals and Teotihucan. We are banking on the parade being in the same area as last year so we are torn between the Sheraton Isabel and Galeria Plaza Reforma. We also thought about Marriott Plaza Reforma, but read bad reviews. Would you pick Sheraton over Galeria? The Galeria is $800 less than the Sheraton and $2465 less than the Marriott. We want club level so we can snack and have a light breakfast before heading out for the day. Main hesitation about Sheraton is we would have to pay in full now. No refund or cancellation. You never know what can happen so that worries me.

If you have any recommendations for food, drink, where to see the best ofrendas we are all ears. This is a bucket list for my husband and I'm pretty stoked about it also.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by TarnishedHalo
Good day. We are coming in on Oct 27-Nov 3 specifically for Day of the Dead, but will also venture out to the Xochimilco canals and Teotihucan. We are banking on the parade being in the same area as last year so we are torn between the Sheraton Isabel and Galeria Plaza Reforma. We also thought about Marriott Plaza Reforma, but read bad reviews. Would you pick Sheraton over Galeria? The Galeria is $800 less than the Sheraton and $2465 less than the Marriott. We want club level so we can snack and have a light breakfast before heading out for the day. Main hesitation about Sheraton is we would have to pay in full now. No refund or cancellation. You never know what can happen so that worries me.

If you have any recommendations for food, drink, where to see the best ofrendas we are all ears. This is a bucket list for my husband and I'm pretty stoked about it also.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Considering the price difference alone, it would be beneficial to stay at the Galeria Plaza Reforma. I've never stayed there and have no first hand knowledge, but they get very good reviews. And skip Marriott Reforma. Hilton Reforma would be a lot better than Marriott, but again the rates will most likely be higher too. You'll only be a 5 minute walk away from the parade and there will be less crowds around the galeria.

What makes Sheraton very good is the location, so during the entire holiday including the Halloween/trick or treat
you can simply just walk outside or look outside your hotel window (depending if you have a Reforma view) and everything is there throughout the day and night, including the night bicycle ride, Halloween costumes, zombie gathering day/parade, the community day of the dead march and other events that start or are held directly at the angel of independence. So, it's not just the parade it's also all the vendor tents and food stalls that will be setup in that entire area throughout the week. Sheraton will have simply the best access.

The day of the dead parade, including all major citywide parades always go up and down Reforma. The only difference has been, is where it might start or the time. So regardless of where you decide to stay you'll be close to the parade route with either location.
TarnishedHalo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Considering the price difference alone, it would be beneficial to stay at the Galeria Plaza Reforma. I've never stayed there and have no first hand knowledge, but they get very good reviews. And skip Marriott Reforma. Hilton Reforma would be a lot better than Marriott, but again the rates will most likely be higher too. You'll only be a 5 minute walk away from the parade and there will be less crowds around the galeria.

What makes Sheraton very good is the location, so during the entire holiday including the Halloween/trick or treat
you can simply just walk outside or look outside your hotel window (depending if you have a Reforma view) and everything is there throughout the day and night, including the night bicycle ride, Halloween costumes, zombie gathering day/parade, the community day of the dead march and other events that start or are held directly at the angel of independence. So, it's not just the parade it's also all the vendor tents and food stalls that will be setup in that entire area throughout the week. Sheraton will have simply the best access.

The day of the dead parade, including all major citywide parades always go up and down Reforma. The only difference has been, is where it might start or the time. So regardless of where you decide to stay you'll be close to the parade route with either location.
Thank you for your quick response. Is the Galeria close to the angel of independence? If it's too far, I'll spend the extra money to be closer to the action. We were trying to decide if it would be better to be a tiny bit away from the action, but then again that's why we're coming! We also want to eat our way through the city. What area would you suggest for first timers to go from place to place maybe having a drink and appetizer at each one? Or would you suggest a full meal each night? Any breakfast spots for Mimosas?

You mentioned demonstrations at the US Embassy. Since we are from the US, would we be harassed? Shoot, we may join them if it's still against the war.

Also, we have yet to book our flights. Our choices are 0840 or 1140 departures. I'm guessing since we're planning on flying out on Nov 3rd we should plan on long security lines. We fly Delta if that matters. Trying to decide if it'd be worth it to move to the Hilton near the airport the night before. So many questions to ask you!!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by TarnishedHalo
Thank you for your quick response. Is the Galeria close to the angel of independence? If it's too far, I'll spend the extra money to be closer to the action. We were trying to decide if it would be better to be a tiny bit away from the action, but then again that's why we're coming! We also want to eat our way through the city. What area would you suggest for first timers to go from place to place maybe having a drink and appetizer at each one? Or would you suggest a full meal each night? Any breakfast spots for Mimosas?

You mentioned demonstrations at the US Embassy. Since we are from the US, would we be harassed? Shoot, we may join them if it's still against the war.

Also, we have yet to book our flights. Our choices are 0840 or 1140 departures. I'm guessing since we're planning on flying out on Nov 3rd we should plan on long security lines. We fly Delta if that matters. Trying to decide if it'd be worth it to move to the Hilton near the airport the night before. So many questions to ask you!!
You have nothing to worry about as far as the US Embassy. Demonstrations are sporadic and usually occur regarding immigration issues. It's been quiet lately. Besides that the embassy is moving to Polanco.

The colonial of Juarez has restaurants and bars. Also you wouldn't be too far from Roma Norte either. Can't recommend anywhere personally as I'm a street food foodie 😄

The Galleria isn't that far from the Angel of Independence/Reforma but if you want to be in the middle of everything, the Sheraton would be my pick. It's just nice to know you can just walk to your room in less than a minute while being outside attending the festivities at night not he concerned about walking any side streets to get back to your hotel. As I've mentioned in a different post, i stay in hotels around the city that are close to events even though I live here because i like to just go outside and the action is there.

And just another side note for anyone reading this, the immigration office in CDMX has set up a temporary immigration camp (with tents) at the corner of Reforma and Roma streets, at a park there.. So, you'll see some occupants roaming the side streets in that area especially at night.

​​​​​

​​​
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:14 am

I forgot to address a few other points you mentioned. You shouldn't have any problem with airline flights. Most visitors don't stay the entire week. The city becomes quiet on the 2nd and 3rd as many locals leave.

The large churches in Centro will have some nice ofrendas. But as it gets closer to the day there will be announcements and previews

And also, determine if your hotel bill will be calculated in USD or MXN pesos. The dollar has lost value and is slowly sinking here. So paying in pesos on a credit card for instance you'll lose money. But, by October who knows what will happen.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Jun 15, 2023 at 1:38 am
Old Aug 6, 2023, 2:49 am

Could anyone recommend a hotel close to the airport? I arrive in the evening at MEX and leave early morning so just want somewhere to sleep close to the airport. Whenever I come across a hotel that i think would suit me I find reviews that put me off. Not interested in going into the city, just want to be close to the airport. Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Nigel Spencer
Could anyone recommend a hotel close to the airport? I arrive in the evening at MEX and leave early morning so just want somewhere to sleep close to the airport. Whenever I come across a hotel that i think would suit me I find reviews that put me off. Not interested in going into the city, just want to be close to the airport. Thanks
It depends on which terminal you are leaving from. T1 has Marriott. Terminal 2 has Hilton and NH Collection. I've only stayed at Marriott. All of them have bad reviews, mainly for customer service. However, like any airport hotel they get probably 10x more people in transit, so cleaneness is lacking especially on the first couple of floors where they try to put you. Ask for a room on a higher floor especially above floors one and two. Always check the entire mattress before you bring your luggage all the way in. Not just in Mexico but any hotel. I was moved 3 times at Marriott due to bug remnants. I stayed at the below hotel a few times in the past 5 years and didn't have any problem, and it was a lot cheaper, but you have to get an Uber to and from. They have breakfast included and free use of their computers and printer. Use your translator because they speak Spanish of course.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Aug 6, 2023 at 6:09 am
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I stayed at the below hotel a few times in the past 5 years and didn't have any problem, and it was a lot cheaper, but you have to get an Uber to and from. They have breakfast included and free use of their computers and printer. Use your translator because they speak Spanish of course.
Which hotel?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Which hotel?
I apologize, I failed to post it🤪

The one below that's very simple, where they have other ones scattered across town including in Roma Norte:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SqQAZsUNKVx7VbFHA
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Nigel Spencer
NH is in T2, Hilton is in T1. Both right in the terminal buildings (each terminal is far from the other). I've only stayed at the NH, and it served it's purpose just fine, and worth a premium from getting on a shuttle to/from an off-site hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:32 pm

Mexico City (CDMX) - where to stay?

I have an upcoming work trip to Mexico City for a couple of weeks. My office is in Polanco, a couple of blocks north of Museo Jumex. Looking at my corporate booking portal for what's "reasonably" priced, I'm looking at the following options, by neighborhood:
  • (Old) Hyatt Regency [Polanco] - closest to the office, but not really close enough to walk
  • Andaz [Condesa]
  • Mondrian [Condesa] - a little bit pricier than the Andaz
  • Le Meridien [Reforma] - seems to be a decent area for evening/weekend sightseeing, also the cheapest option
  • Hilton [Reforma]
  • Hilton [Santa Fe]
  • Westin [Santa Fe]
  • JW Marriott [Santa Fe]
I'm leaning to the Andaz in Condesa - I've been to CDMX once and stayed near Condesa in the Hipodromo neighborhood, and I loved it. Lots of cafes, shops, and greenery. The downside is that I have no status or points with Hyatt.

Despite being some of the newest/nicest (on paper), perhaps I'll rule out the Santa Fe hotels, as there's not a lot going on down there for evenings/weekends.

Also, if it matters, I have Gold status with Marriott and Hilton (through my Amex) and some points with both. I've had luck with hotels outside the US with this level of status years ago, but I'm not sure it'll get me much these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.