Reload this Page >

Mexico City hotel location advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City hotel location advice

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Quelifornia
This is the only hotel I have ever stayed at in Mexico City (for the same reason, very few points needed). I have zero issues with the location, you can easily take a 10 minute walk to the Metro and I did the walk back from the metro late at night multiple times with zero issue. It's pretty much a dead street at night (except when you pass by the very popular Taqueria El Borrego Viudo which is packed with cars at night. Good cheap tacos there as well, only about 4 minutes walking from the Courtyard.

I will continue staying here for every trip to Mexico City, and uber/didi is also reliable to pick up here. The staff treats this as a higher-class hotel than the Courtyards in USA -- baggage handlers, doorman, etc.
As noted by the other poster, the problem with this hotel is "at night" if you just want to walk out of the hotel and walk around town to eat dinner, listen to a band, see an outdoor show or go to a bar etc late evening you need to get an Uber. Personally, the reason I select hotels is location, location, location. I want to walk out of my hotel room and onto the street and not have to worry about taking an Uber or Metro/Bus at night. I want everything there. I stay at the Zocalo hotels when events are going on there so I can just walk outside and be on the scene. I can easily take the metro/uber etc and I rather stay in a hotel near the events even though I live not very far away. But, for lower points and overall good service there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Courtyard. It's just that the Sheraton Four Points is smack dab in the middle of the action, and they have door security, doorman and bellhops.
Eastbay1K and realworld like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
If you plan to go out in the evenings/nighttime, and want good access to the metro bus #1 and #2 during the daytime then stay in Roma Norte or Zona Rosa. Sheraton Four Points in Roma Norte is excellent to be in the middle of all the nightlife. Sheraton Isabel is good to be in the middle of the daytime happening up and down Paseo Reforma and a short walk to Zona Rosa area.. I live here, and have stayed at both locations. Polanco is out of the way, unless you want to just stay in one area at night then it's ok.
This is the 4 Points on Alvaro Obregón, right? Have you ever stayed there? If so, what is the noise situation in the rooms? I generally stay in the area at a property that isn't part of an international chain and is on a quieter street. I've thought this could be a neat place to try out sometime, but given all the activity on A. Obregón I've worried that the noise would travel up.
Old May 11, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This is the 4 Points on Alvaro Obregón, right? Have you ever stayed there? If so, what is the noise situation in the rooms? I generally stay in the area at a property that isn't part of an international chain and is on a quieter street. I've thought this could be a neat place to try out sometime, but given all the activity on A. Obregón I've worried that the noise would travel up.
Yes, I stayed there during the big night bike ride (to ride my bike) during day of the dead last year. I thought it was quiet and I hate noise. However, the lobby was loud with folks hanging out since people were still celebrating in town. But my room was nice, quiet and clean including the mattress (I always check). I think I was on the 5th floor. But yes that entire street is party central otherwise late at night. Also, the hotel sits at the end of the strip, so it's not in the most loudest areas of that street which is a good thing. I would stay there again but now I only live 3 blocks from there😁 And as a side note, if you return really late, like after midnight the security officer may question you prior to allowing you to gain entry.

On edit: If you really want to make sure you don't hear any noise you could request a room on the back of the hotel for just in case.
realworld likes this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; May 11, 2023 at 2:16 pm
Old May 11, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Are ubers pretty plenty and easy to get, even late at night? And is it just the uber app or like the US better to have multiple and if so, any app unique to Mexico?
Old May 11, 2023, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by realworld
Are ubers pretty plenty and easy to get, even late at night? And is it just the uber app or like the US better to have multiple and if so, any app unique to Mexico?
As long as it's a regular day in Mexico City, getting an Uber is easy regardless of when you request one. During Independence Day and Day of the Dead there will be delays. Sunday mornings usually have delay depending on where you're going. The Uber drivers don't want to get stuck early in the morning for instance on the opposite side of town and sit and wait for a way to get back across town. Always think about where you're going to and the possibility of riders on that side of town catching an Uber. But, so far (knock on wood) I've only had a few delays in getting Uber and never have had to use any of my back up apps like DiDi and Cabify. Regardless, never wait until the last minute to request an Uber. My longest wait was probably 20 minutes max. Average is about 3-5 minutes no matter where I've been in the city.
Old May 11, 2023, 2:41 pm

....for anyone else comparing noise levels, I personally think that Colonia Juarez where Zona Rosa is situated probably has one of the highest noise levels at night, other than when you get over to the parts of town where it's probably not safe to venture to at night. I stayed at the NH Collection in Juarez and it was simply noisy.
Old May 11, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Yes, I stayed there during the big night bike ride (to ride my bike) during day of the dead last year. I thought it was quiet and I hate noise. However, the lobby was loud with folks hanging out since people were still celebrating in town. But my room was nice, quiet and clean including the mattress (I always check). I think I was on the 5th floor. But yes that entire street is party central otherwise late at night. Also, the hotel sits at the end of the strip, so it's not in the most loudest areas of that street which is a good thing. I would stay there again but now I only live 3 blocks from there😁 And as a side note, if you return really late, like after midnight the security officer may question you prior to allowing you to gain entry.

On edit: If you really want to make sure you don't hear any noise you could request a room on the back of the hotel for just in case.
Thanks for the feedback! I usually stay at Hotel Marbella nearby, which is obviously geared to a different clientele, but the rooms on the Cuauhtémoc side are generally very quiet, it's comfortable, and the staff is very good. I'm really sensitive to noise so once I found a place that I find reliably quiet, I've been reluctant to try anything else.
Old May 11, 2023, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Thanks for the feedback! I usually stay at Hotel Marbella nearby, which is obviously geared to a different clientele, but the rooms on the Cuauhtémoc side are generally very quiet, it's comfortable, and the staff is very good. I'm really sensitive to noise so once I found a place that I find reliably quiet, I've been reluctant to try anything else.
I definitely understand. I'm the same way. That's why my #1 hotel on Paseo de la Reforma is the Sheraton Isabel. Not so much for "no noise" but for location whenever anything big is happening in CDMX.

Try the Sheraton Four Points next time and come back and give your opinion. No other hotel chain can beat it in my opinion, for its location.
Old May 13, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I definitely understand. I'm the same way. That's why my #1 hotel on Paseo de la Reforma is the Sheraton Isabel. Not so much for "no noise" but for location whenever anything big is happening in CDMX.

Try the Sheraton Four Points next time and come back and give your opinion. No other hotel chain can beat it in my opinion, for its location.
My favo(u)rite is the St. Regis. My affordable favo(u)rite is the Sheraton. St. Regis location is almost as good as the Sheraton. I don't recall having a material noise issue at the Sheraton, and have probably stayed there 20-some times.
Old May 13, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My favo(u)rite is the St. Regis. My affordable favo(u)rite is the Sheraton. St. Regis location is almost as good as the Sheraton. I don't recall having a material noise issue at the Sheraton, and have probably stayed there 20-some times.
Just so everyone is on the same sheet of paper, are you talking about Sheraton Isabel or Sheraton Four points has no noise? I can guarantee anyone that Sheraton Isabel will have noise simply because it's situated in front of the Angel of Independence. And unless you pick a totally dead week to book a room there, meaning no parades, no protests/demonstrations against the city or the US Embassy next door, it's almost impossible to avoid noise, unless "maybe" you're somewhere not facing Paseo Reforma. But, its always noise for the most part. Sheraton Four Points I would say noise isn't an issue.
Old May 13, 2023, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just so everyone is on the same sheet of paper, are you talking about Sheraton Isabel or Sheraton Four points has no noise? I can guarantee anyone that Sheraton Isabel will have noise simply because it's situated in front of the Angel of Independence.
Sheraton Maria Isabel. And that's why I qualified it with "material," as in it hasn't generally affected my enjoyment of the hotel, not that it is noise-free. (I don't recall ever having a low floor at the property.)
Old May 13, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sheraton Maria Isabel. And that's why I qualified it with "material," as in it hasn't generally affected my enjoyment of the hotel, not that it is noise-free. (I don't recall ever having a low floor at the property.)
I always book a room in the reforma tower facing the angel. No matter how high up it's always noisey. It doesn't affect my sleep because I know it's going to be loud. They are very good at upgrades for corner suites. When I plan to stay in town for the holidays, I try to book the Sheraton for the NYE celebrations too.
Old May 19, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you plan to go out in the evenings/nighttime, and want good access to the metro bus #1 and #2 during the daytime then stay in Roma Norte or Zona Rosa. Sheraton Four Points in Roma Norte is excellent to be in the middle of all the nightlife. Sheraton Isabel is good to be in the middle of the daytime happening up and down Paseo Reforma and a short walk to Zona Rosa area.. I live here, and have stayed at both locations. Polanco is out of the way, unless you want to just stay in one area at night then it's ok.
I've also experienced some of the best shower water pressure anywhere, EVAR, in some of the rooms (Sheraton), sometimes painfully so The lounge staff is typically great.
realworld likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by realworld
Yes ride share is reliable. DiDi will be cheaper 90% of the time than Uber - I’ve found this to be true almost everywhere in Mexico. Especially for longer distance rides. However upon arrival at Mexico City airport, Uber is preferred because it is more intuitive. Getting back to the airport, DiDi is my preferred option because generally it is cheaper.
Old May 19, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Quelifornia
Yes ride share is reliable. DiDi will be cheaper 90% of the time than Uber - I’ve found this to be true almost everywhere in Mexico. Especially for longer distance rides. However upon arrival at Mexico City airport, Uber is preferred because it is more intuitive. Getting back to the airport, DiDi is my preferred option because generally it is cheaper.
Thanks, I like easy when arriving at an international airport, especially one I have not been at before.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.