Mexico City hotel location advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:59 am

Hotel of Choice in Mexico City

I have a couple bookings going on, incl Hilton Reforma, La Meridian and Hyaat Regency, Sheraton Mira Isabela.
Please advise which one shall I choose. My kids are grown up
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can recommend the Hilton Reforma. No experience with the others.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zibawal
I have a couple bookings going on, incl Hilton Reforma, La Meridian and Hyaat Regency, Sheraton Mira Isabela.
Please advise which one shall I choose. My kids are grown up
What are the price differences?
Do you have elite status?
What do you intend to see/do in Mexico City?
will you be relying on public transportation?
What is important to you in a hotel?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Between the Hilton Reforma and the Hyatt, what is the one to go for as with Diamond status for both?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To determine the requirements for status in hotel frequent guest programs and the benefits that accrue, please consult the appropriate forum and threads in the Hotels and Places to Stay forum. Many members have taken the time and effort to post that information.

Thank you,

Moderation
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
To determine the requirements for status in hotel frequent guest programs and the benefits that accrue, please consult the appropriate forum and threads in the Hotels and Places to Stay forum. Many members have taken the time and effort to post that information.

Thank you,

Moderation
<redacted> So as visited both I'll answer my question for reference for anyone asking the same question.....

Hilton Reforma
Pros:
Centre of CDMX - if that is where you want to be.
Cheaper Restaurant breakfast with Mexican items (if you are paying, and want to eat in the hotel).
Lounge has great views, with meeting rooms if you require them.
Gym looked good
Bigger rooms.
Newer property.

Cons:
Centre of CDMX.
Restaurant breakfast was average.
Lounge very busy in the evening with 'Happy Hour' (a Pro but), and it was beer and wine, spirits out of sight by saw shots of tequila produced.
Newer property
More expensive when I visited (Dec 17)

Hyatt Regency
Pros:
Quiet/posh/safer side of town.
More village feel for the local restaurants/bars.
Lounge has great views.
Better restaurant breakfast.
Has a better lounge if you have access - longer hours for food, drinks all afternoon until 11pm.
Has a good gym too.
Good lounge breakfast (I didn't get to the Hilton Lounge breakfast to compare)
Cheaper the weeks I visited (Dec 17)

Cons:
Quiet/posh/safer side of town.
More village feel for the local restaurants/bars. - and they are more expensive.
Smaller rooms
Restaurant breakfast is more expensive (if you are paying).

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 30, 2017 at 7:23 pm Reason: Redacted moderation comment
Old May 10, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta PM

Am planning a trip to Mexico City for a few days. I have a business meeting, but am going to extend it for a couple days to explore the city. Since it will be on my dime and I have Marriott points, I was looking at the Courtyard Mexico City Revolucion as it is significantly less points than other options. Located at Avenida Revolucion 333, Col Tacubaya Mexico City, Mexico 11870. Located in the Tacubaya area, I think.
Reviews make it sound like it is in an okay, but not great or convenient location. But all I really need is a place to sleep. I tend to head out in the morning and not return until I am done exploring, so location isn't that big of a deal.
I can Uber or take public transportation, comfortable with either. Looks like the subways are a fairly easy walk away.
I actually like staying in non touristy areas, but suspect this one is more business and less local neighborhood.
Any advice or things to consider?
Old May 10, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would not choose this location, as especially at night, if you wander in the wrong direction, you may not be happy with that decision. I'd suggest either in/around the Zona Rosa (Sheraton Maria Isabel traditionally isn't that $$$) or Polanco (which does get $$$$, at least for CDMX purposes.) Odds that nothing bad will happen to you are excellent, but this still wouldn't be my first or second choice of locations.

FYI, Mexico City doesn't really have a "touristy" area (like a Times Square, Fisherman's Wharf, etc) although the majority of hotel-staying tourists will be in the locations suggested.
realworld and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:22 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that. Will look at the Zona Rosa area. I have some flexibility in dates, so that may make a difference in cost.
Old May 11, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: Eurobonus
When I asked people who knows Mexico City, they also recommended the ares of La Condesa and Polanco (safer areas and close to Castillo de Chapultepec etc.) or Roma Norte (safer aree, close to Centro Historico, a little more expensive area)
TWA884 likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
If you plan to go out in the evenings/nighttime, and want good access to the metro bus #1 and #2 during the daytime then stay in Roma Norte or Zona Rosa. Sheraton Four Points in Roma Norte is excellent to be in the middle of all the nightlife. Sheraton Isabel is good to be in the middle of the daytime happening up and down Paseo Reforma and a short walk to Zona Rosa area.. I live here, and have stayed at both locations. Polanco is out of the way, unless you want to just stay in one area at night then it's ok.
Old May 11, 2023, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
If you plan to go out in the evenings/nighttime, and want good access to the metro bus #1 and #2 during the daytime then stay in Roma Norte or Zona Rosa. Sheraton Four Points in Roma Norte is excellent to be in the middle of all the nightlife. Sheraton Isabel is good to be in the middle of the daytime happening up and down Paseo Reforma and a short walk to Zona Rosa area.. I live here, and have stayed at both locations. Polanco is out of the way, unless you want to just stay in one area at night then it's ok.
Thanks! I was looking at the Sheraton Four Points. That seems to be perfect. Appreciate it.
Old May 11, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by realworld
Thanks! I was looking at the Sheraton Four Points. That seems to be perfect. Appreciate it.
You're welcome. And you can take your food (as much as you can carry) from the buffet back to your room on a tray if you like.
realworld likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not a bad choice! I've never stayed there, but wouldn't hesitate to do so. You've got some great food choices nearby, too. Rosetta (a top restaurant) is a short walk, along with her bakery and cafe a block from there - so good, so good. The Mercado Roma is not too far on foot, and is a great food court with bar options.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:57 am

Am planning a trip to Mexico City for a few days. I have a business meeting, but am going to extend it for a couple days to explore the city. Since it will be on my dime and I have Marriott points, I was looking at the Courtyard Mexico City Revolucion as it is significantly less points than other options. Located at Avenida Revolucion 333, Col Tacubaya Mexico City, Mexico 11870. Located in the Tacubaya area, I think.
Reviews make it sound like it is in an okay, but not great or convenient location. But all I really need is a place to sleep. I tend to head out in the morning and not return until I am done exploring, so location isn't that big of a deal.
I can Uber or take public transportation, comfortable with either. Looks like the subways are a fairly easy walk away.
I actually like staying in non touristy areas, but suspect this one is more business and less local neighborhood.
Any advice or things to consider?
This is the only hotel I have ever stayed at in Mexico City (for the same reason, very few points needed). I have zero issues with the location, you can easily take a 10 minute walk to the Metro and I did the walk back from the metro late at night multiple times with zero issue. It's pretty much a dead street at night (except when you pass by the very popular Taqueria El Borrego Viudo which is packed with cars at night. Good cheap tacos there as well, only about 4 minutes walking from the Courtyard.

I will continue staying here for every trip to Mexico City, and uber/didi is also reliable to pick up here. The staff treats this as a higher-class hotel than the Courtyards in USA -- baggage handlers, doorman, etc.
realworld likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.