Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

What happens when Mexican immigration sees you don't have an onward ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I have no idea when I will be leaving Mexico so the last thing I want is a return ticket. Refundable tickets cost a fortune and I don't want to take a chance that they will refuse for some reason. Could you wait til you arrive and if they don't like it could you just go over to the counter and buy the ticket or buy it on your phone online in front of them? Or do they just ship you home right then and there?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Won't this question first come up when you check in for your flight to Mexico? The counter agent will see you don't have a return ticket with their airline and will ask you when and how you plan to leave Mexico. If your answer doesn't meet with what's required and their approval, don't you risk never being allowed on the plane in the first place?
Eastbay1K and ewoo like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes, its true that the airline seems to be the main impediment to this and that could be solved fast by buying a ticket right there. But what if immigration at the destination is suspicious of you for some inexplicable reason? I can show ample funds to live for decades comfortably there but you never know if they're in a bad mood.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
seriously? The Mexican is not at all concerned about people entering their country with no evidence of date of leaving, witness the tens of thousands that enter from its southern borders that stay indefinitely. Those are not air passengers, of course and most do have an intention of exiting just as soon as they can but the reality is the Mexican government is hosting them for far longer than 180 days.

Having said that, since 2005 I have entered Mexico by air on a one-way ticket many times (10+) and have never, ever, been asked by La Migra if/when I will be leaving, let alone an airline employee at check in. Airlines are only responsible for ensuring the pax appears to meet the requirements to enter the country - I have never heard they are expected to have a role in ensuring evidence of intention to exit a country. Of course, YMMV.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
seriously? The Mexican is not at all concerned about people entering their country with no evidence of date of leaving, witness the tens of thousands that enter from its southern borders that stay indefinitely. Those are not air passengers, of course and most do have an intention of exiting just as soon as they can but the reality is the Mexican government is hosting them for far longer than 180 days.

Having said that, since 2005 I have entered Mexico by air on a one-way ticket many times (10+) and have never, ever, been asked by La Migra if/when I will be leaving, let alone an airline employee at check in. Airlines are only responsible for ensuring the pax appears to meet the requirements to enter the country - I have never heard they are expected to have a role in ensuring evidence of intention to exit a country. Of course, YMMV.
That's very interesting because I have had the exact opposite experience.

In my experience, outside the United States at least, airlines *always* check for proof of onward travel. I would never attempt to enter a country without proof of onward travel, especially nowadays.

And the last time I entered Mexico (one month ago), I spent 10-15 minutes with an agent going over every detail of my stay (proof of lodging, proof of onward travel, proof of funds, etc.). I am a U.S. citizen but I was arriving from a country that attracts more scrutiny.

Finally, just because a land border is porous doesn't mean airport immigration just throws up their hands and stops doing their job. The United States is a far better example of that than Mexico.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:39 am

There are changes recently that can affect how long the immigration officials will give you to stay. In the past it was always 180 days, now they can see exactly where you have been, and when. They are not always giving the 180 days, and sometimes giving much, much less. They simply write it on the FMM slip and you might not even notice until later. People have been asked for proof of accom and return flights. Be prepared to answer these questions.

A recent article highlights some of these issues. https://www.mexperience.com/changes-...isitor-permit/
enelym1978 and ewoo like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:04 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

AFAIK, US citizens can freely book one-ways to Mexico.

I had an award ticket two years ago from China to Mexico, and the agent in Chengdu (unsurprisingly) had to check with her colleagues about letting me fly. Once she found out that nugget, it was all good.

Not sure why anything would have changed since March 2020, given that US foll have been spending in Mexico in droves.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I can't understand people booking accommodation before seeing it first. Yet people do this all the time and are disappointed all the time. Unless you're arriving around Christmas its a breeze getting a place most anywhere in Mexico. Always see the room before choosing your room. So many things you could be unaware of from looking at a photo. Do you see the rooster that's going to start waking up the neighbourhood at 5am tomorrow morning? Can you see the nightclub that plays loud music at 10pm every night? How about paper thin walls of the rooms? How about a bed bug problem? And a million other things they can hide in a flashy brochure photographed carefully.

Last edited by ft2u; Mar 14, 2022 at 12:09 am
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:51 am
Original Poster

So I wonder how we can minimize any problems. What does Mexico want to see? Obviously they don't want you working taking jobs away from the locals so if you have lots of money this is better. Anything else? Looking respectable of course.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ft2u
So I wonder how we can minimize any problems. What does Mexico want to see? Obviously they don't want you working taking jobs away from the locals so if you have lots of money this is better. Anything else? Looking respectable of course.
Are you an American citizen coming from the United States? You probably don't have anything to worry about. Although I always like to be prepared anyway.

But if you're coming from a country that attracts scrutiny, I always have an itinerary of my destinations, lodging and return flight printed out and ready to go. The last time I was asked if I was employed and then asked to show proof of my employment (business card and Linkedin profile did the trick).
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I'm Canadian. I'm looking to buy real estate there and want to spend a few months scouting out a large area. I wonder if that would help? "High, I want to spend a lot of money in your country." "Oh Oh....."
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
I have no idea when I will be leaving Mexico so the last thing I want is a return ticket. Refundable tickets cost a fortune and I don't want to take a chance that they will refuse for some reason. Could you wait til you arrive and if they don't like it could you just go over to the counter and buy the ticket or buy it on your phone online in front of them? Or do they just ship you home right then and there?
Not that it matters anyways whether you know when you will leave or not because the max you will get is 180 days with the tourist permit so you can either get a one way ticket and tell them you want the 180 days, pay for it, and maybe they will give it to you or get the refundable ticket up to the max. You claim to have "ample funds to live decades comfortably there" so the cost of this refundable ticket shouldn't be an issue for you.

How about getting residency? You can stay as long as you want and take your jolly time, and renew if you go for the temporary residency route.
Because you already claimed that you have "ample funds to live decades comfortably there" getting residency shouldn't be too much of an issue for you.
Don't feel like Mexico is you cup of tea? Don't renew it.

You are just making things needlessily complicated than it needs to be by relying on a 180 day tourist permit, in which you may not get the 180 days, be subjected to more scrutiny or may not find anything to your liking, even if given the full 180.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Nov 12, 2021 at 11:54 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I'm Canadian. I'm looking to buy real estate there and want to spend a few months scouting out a large area. I wonder if that would help? "High, I want to spend a lot of money in your country." "Oh Oh....."
In general as far as I understand it, Canadians and Americans travelling to Mexico do not need proof of onward travel. You may need to explain to immigration that you intend to leave in approximately 3 or 4 months, but that you are looking at retirement properties and are not sure exactly how long it will take. If you prove you can support yourself I can't see anything in their guidance that suggests that would be an issue. However, just like the US and Canada, the border people will decide if they buy it or not. They should grant you the maximum 180 days with that I would think.

Why not buy a fully refundable one way ticket for the return and just cancel it and get the money back? It ties up funds for a couple weeks but shouldn't be a problem. Just don't overstay the tourist visa of course, that is not really fair.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:53 am
Original Poster

You can pay and get more time on your visa if they give you a short amount? I thought you had to leave the country to renew it.

"You claim to have "ample funds to live decades comfortably there" so the cost of this refundable ticket shouldn't be an issue for you."
There would be no cost as its refundable. Put it on the credit card and refund it a day later.

"How about getting residency? You can stay as long as you want and take your jolly time, and renew if you go for the temporary residency route.
Because you already claimed that you have "ample funds to live decades comfortably there" getting residency shouldn't be too much of an issue for you."
I would absolutely love to get residency there. Later citizenship so I don't need that awful Fideioomiso with its initial fee and annual fees if I want to buy something along the coast, but that apparently takes years. Residency would be wonderful. Should I start the process before I leave Canada? There's a Mexican consulate here apparently.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:53 am

Getting residency is likely your best step. Part of the crack down involves non-residents who own property, yet do not pay taxes on the income they make on it in Mexico. Have residency would solve that. Really wealth is a big gateway to it.

As to proof of accom, if you book something fully refundable, you can simple cancel. That could be a series of hotel stays in different locations, nobody really knows your true intentions anyway, except you. It is an easy insurance policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.