Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Quintana Roo (Cancun etc.) international VISITAX tourist tax effective April 1, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quintana Roo (Cancun etc.) international VISITAX tourist tax effective April 1, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:39 pm

So no controls QR during you stay last January ?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tetra333
So no controls QR during you stay last January ?
No. I waited in line for 2 hours at Jet Blue to show my Covid test certificate and my passport and to get a boarding pass. I showed my boarding pass and passport to a guard before going through security X-ray scanner and then I went to the gate. My passport wasn’t stamped upon exiting the country.

I paid nothing extra and was never asked for anything else.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 3:43 pm

I don't think they are enforcing this even now in terminal 3! Downstairs after checkin there was a cart where you could pay, but AFAIK (unless the BP check before security validated it), I can't see how it would have been correlated.

Really surprises me as it is easy money for them....
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I don't think they are enforcing this even now in terminal 3! Downstairs after checkin there was a cart where you could pay, but AFAIK (unless the BP check before security validated it), I can't see how it would have been correlated.

Really surprises me as it is easy money for them....
We continue to completely ignore this every time we depart CUN. No problems whatsoever (yet)

Regards
Aus_Mal and jmrp like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Is this still a thing? And is it now included in ticket? If it's still a thing and not included in tix, do you all do kiosk or online?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is this still a thing? And is it now included in ticket? If it's still a thing and not included in tix, do you all do kiosk or online?
Yup, it is still a thing. After the holidays the QR gov't is supposed to disclose the penalties if you don't pay the Visitax. You're responsible for paying this on your own. It's been mentioned that if you don't pay it, the next time you come back to QR there will be penalties ($$$) for previous non-payment. I guess when you do pay you have to enter your passport #. Not sure how all that links up together.

There are no kiosks at the airport to pay. You're supposed to pay it online at the gov't site or w/ Travelkore (a Canadian company that the Quintana Roo gov't contracted to also collect the Visitax online).

This won't (can't ?) be included w/ your plane tickets as it's not a federal tax, only the state of QR. We just flew out of CUN T3 on 12/28/23. There were a few signs about paying it but no one asks you about it (yet, at least).

This has to be the most poorly planned/implemented tourist tax ever !! As such, we have not yet paid it (& we're in & out of CUN 2 or 3 times a year). We'll be back again in April (using the new TQO airport) so we'll see how the process is working then.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jmrp
Yup, it is still a thing. After the holidays the QR gov't is supposed to disclose the penalties if you don't pay the Visitax. You're responsible for paying this on your own. It's been mentioned that if you don't pay it, the next time you come back to QR there will be penalties ($$$) for previous non-payment. I guess when you do pay you have to enter your passport #. Not sure how all that links up together.

There are no kiosks at the airport to pay. You're supposed to pay it online at the gov't site or w/ Travelkore (a Canadian company that the Quintana Roo gov't contracted to also collect the Visitax online).

This won't (can't ?) be included w/ your plane tickets as it's not a federal tax, only the state of QR. We just flew out of CUN T3 on 12/28/23. There were a few signs about paying it but no one asks you about it (yet, at least).

This has to be the most poorly planned/implemented tourist tax ever !! As such, we have not yet paid it (& we're in & out of CUN 2 or 3 times a year). We'll be back again in April (using the new TQO airport) so we'll see how the process is working then.
Okay. Thanks for the info. Sounds def like “the most poorly planned/implemented tourist tax ever !!” and so I’ll pass unless required.
jmrp likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Any other recent experiences at CUN with the Visitax? Heading there in a couple weeks and supposedly they are going to start enforcing this (or try harder) starting Feb 1 2024.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Uzzar
Any other recent experiences at CUN with the Visitax? Heading there in a couple weeks and supposedly they are going to start enforcing this (or try harder) starting Feb 1 2024.
We flew out Jan 7 and I didn’t see anything in the airport about this. No one said anything either. If I hadn’t read this on FT, I would have had no way to even know.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:38 am

Anyone have experience with this at CZM? I didn't look it up ahead of time and just paid it. Oh well...
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I flew out of CZM last July. The website to pay online wasn't working. I figured I'd just pay at the airport. There was no way to do that. Nobody could tell me what to do. Nobody asked to see any evidence that I'd paid the tax. I flew out without paying.

That was several months ago, granted. I don't live in fear that this will catch up to me the next time I leave Quintana Roo. I hope they have a better system in place next time I'm there and that I can pay the tax.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:21 pm

Flew out of CZM today. No signage or anything about VISITAX whatsoever. No one checking for it. Feel like a sucker having paid for it in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Flew into/out of TQO this week and there was zero mention of this tax anywhere.. no signage or anyone telling us to pay it
jmrp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.