Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for the riviera maya?

Recommendations for the riviera maya?

Old Apr 28, 19, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
Cool Recommendations for the riviera maya?

My SO and are still looking at options on where to stay in the Riviera Maya but slowly I’m getting burned out by reading all the bad TripAdvisor reports.

For the first part of the trip we’ve got our rooms booked but we’re still looking for somewhere to spend 6 day in the Riviera Maya at the end of June.

We’re looking for:
  • All inclusive
  • Good food & drinks (I know that’s difficult to get with AI)
  • Quiet (no need for DJs to entertain me all day & night ) - adults only preferred
  • Nice beach & sea
  • ability to “escape” the resort for day trips
What are your recommendations?

Last edited by frogster; Apr 28, 19 at 3:42 am
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by frogster View Post
My SO and are still looking at options on where to stay in the Riviera Maya but slowly I’m getting burned out by reading all the bad TripAdvisor reports.

For the first part of the trip we’ve got our rooms booked but we’re still looking for somewhere to spend 6 day in the Riviera Maya at the end of June.

We’re looking for:
  • All inclusive
  • Quiet (no need for DJs to entertain me all day & night ) - adults only preferred
  • Nice beach & sea
Have you looked as far down as Tulum? There may be more of what you are looking for. The beaches are great and some of the resorts are small. You are further down so closer to do day trips to ruins and cenotos. Or if you want to do the theme parks look at https://www.hotelxcaret.com/en/all-fun-inclusive/
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
Have you looked as far down as Tulum? There may be more of what you are looking for. The beaches are great and some of the resorts are small. You are further down so closer to do day trips to ruins and cenotos. Or if you want to do the theme parks look at https://www.hotelxcaret.com/en/all-fun-inclusive/
thank you - unfortunately the xcaret seems to be sold out during that time (end of June)

Sorry for the missing details:

We’ll be spending some time in TRS Yucatán (in Akumal) and in Mexico City - we’re only looking for a resort for the last 6 days, the flights are already booked.

The budget doesn’t allow for the real high end resorts but should be enough for something nice - between 250 and 500$ per night.

Currently our favorites are:
Paradisus La Perla (royal service)
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancún
UNICO 20º87º HOTEL RIVIERA MAYA
TRS Coral

All of them seem to have some downsides- so we’re thankful for any alternative suggestions or feedback on those
Old Apr 29, 19, 1:46 pm

I have stayed at the Iberostar Grand several times and enjoyed it. Food and service were great and it's not too far from Playa del Carmen

I like it because it is a quiet resort
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors

We’re looking for:
  • All inclusive
  • Nice beach & sea
You have to take a lot of stuff on TripAdvisor with a grain of salt.... Like people giving resorts in Mexico bad reviews because the weather was too hot during their visit in August, or that they saw a bug on their tour of Coba with a 3rd party tour guide.

I like my stays at Iberostar too, but I have always stayed down on the cheap end at the Del Mar side.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:58 am

There are some basic rules for Trip Advisor reviews. Ignore reviews with any of the following

1. Everyone was rude. (Really? Everyone? Wonder how rudely the reviewer treated them!)
2. They speak Spanish. (Umm...that's the language of Mexico)
3. It was my "birthday, anniversary, random event I made up" and while an upgrade wasn't expected it would be nice. (Yes, you did expect it or you wouldn't have bothered)
4. The airline lost my luggage and the resort didn't fix the problem
5. There was nothing edible to eat
6. They didn't have Bud Light! (Actually I figure this might be a sign of a place I want to go )
7. There was seaweed in the water... Yes, there's a problem all over the area right now. I don't think the resorts are putting it there to annoy you however!

You really have to read between the lines. It's sad but there are people who post a bad review within minutes of arriving at hotel/resort, then show it to management and promise to request to have it taken down if they get the upgrade etc...
JDiver and JBord like this.
Old May 6, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold

thank you - unfortunately the xcaret seems to be sold out during that time (end of June)

Sorry for the missing details:

We’ll be spending some time in TRS Yucatán (in Akumal) and in Mexico City - we’re only looking for a resort for the last 6 days, the flights are already booked.

The budget doesn’t allow for the real high end resorts but should be enough for something nice - between 250 and 500$ per night.

Currently our favorites are:
Paradisus La Perla (royal service)
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancún
UNICO 20º87º HOTEL RIVIERA MAYA
TRS Coral

All of them seem to have some downsides- so we’re thankful for any alternative suggestions or feedback on those
what did you end up picking?

I’m also thinking of UNICO. It looks like a relatively new place and seems to have good vegan options but does have some negative reviews on TripAdvisor
Old May 8, 19, 9:48 am
Original Poster

In the end we decided on the La Perla - the rate offert to members of the Melia rewards programme was so competitve we couldn't ignore it.
For the first part of our trip we'll be staying at the TRS Yucatan near the UNICO so we decided against it.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 2:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the end we decided on the La Perla - the rate offert to members of the Melia rewards programme was so competitve we couldn't ignore it.
For the first part of our trip we'll be staying at the TRS Yucatan near the UNICO so we decided against it.
We’d love some feedback after your stays!

Buen viaje.

Search this Thread