Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

CdMx Santa Lucia Airport (NLU)

Old Feb 14, 20, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere

So I am seeing various tweets and Spanish language articles about the new terminal is "on schedule", though still a couple years away. What I have yet to see is any expected plan of usage. From I understand, NLU cannot replace the current overcrowded Benito Juarez (MEX) airport, just supplement it. Is this going to be a LGA/JFK situation where one is national, the other primarily international? Has any airline even hinted that they would give up operations at MEX for NLU? Why is this a viable option, when the arguably closer to city center Toluca (TLC) airport seems to be hardly used at all - only Interjet and the occaisional Viva Aerobus flight.

Does anyone have any information? I'm not gonna lie, I am still pretty peeved about the cancelling of NAICM which looked incredible in the drawings, and had me excited as I fly in and out of MEX a lot. So maybe I am just being pessimistic because of disappointment. But I am kinda stumped how Santa Lucia is going to help, and given that I use MEX to connect to smaller cities like ACA has me really worried if there is a domestic/international split. That will kill travel times.

That being said, any positive opinions or theories or news would be appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:33 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Perhaps another Mirabel? Bad decision by AMLO to kill NAICM.
Old Feb 16, 20, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AMLO will mandate certain flights to operate from NLU, just as he mandated the closure of the NAICM (abandoning an airport that was at least 30% completed, but left with bonds, etc. to pay for over the following decades and then trying to flood it so it would be “restored to its natural state” and made into a park in parts). That might leave us with an international arrivals and departures at MEX along with domestic flights operated by Aeroméxico, but a number of low cost carrier (presumably Interjet, Viva Aerobús, Volaris etc.), shuttle domestic and all cargo flights moved to NLU. That will add time for travelers required to shuttle between airports via ground transport, adding to CDMX gridlock and pollution as well. There is no light rail or other higher speed transport connecting the airports; busses, shuttles and livery vehicles will have to be used.

AMLO mandated a non-binding referendum on NAICM. Reports stated that only one out of every 90 registered voters took part in the referendum – a total of one million people, but those who did vote agreed 70% with the NAICM airport shutdown, am AMLO campaign promise.

For those who haven’t kept up,

The development of NAICM at Texcoco was planned in four stages. Phase I, was scheduled to open by October 20, 2020, would have consisted of one main terminal of 8,000,000 square feet (743,000 m2) and three independent runways, which would yield a capacity for 68 million passengers annually. In its final Phase (2065), NAICM would have consisted of six runways, an additional main terminal and two satellite terminals, with capacity for 125 million passengers, making it the second largest airport in the world today. — link to Wikipedia article

Santa Lucía Air Force Base (IATA: NLU, ICAO: MMSM) is a military airport located in Santa Lucía, Zumpango, in the State of Mexico, Mexico. It is the plan of the current Mexican government that a new civilian international airport for Mexico City be built on the grounds of the air force base. Construction started on October 17, 2019 with a symbolic ceremony and a short video presentation after all judicial suspensions against the airport were revoked. Two runways and a new terminal are planned during the first phase, due to open by March 21, 2022 as ordered by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador. The airport will be operated by the Secretariat of National Defense (SEDENA) which will also receive all of the airport's earnings.

and The airport is intended to focus on low-cost and cargo airlines to help relieve Mexico City's International Airport congestion. Mexican architect Francisco Gonzalez Pulido and military general Gustavo Vallejo are in charge of airport design. The master plan is in charge of Groupe ADP and the airspace navigability studies were made by Airbus subsidiary Navblue.[11][12] The Valley of Mexico will be the first in the country where the performance-based navigation system (PBN) is used, which will allow the Felipe Ángeles International Airport, the Mexico City International Airport, and the Toluca International Airport to operate simultaneously without the operations of one impeding those of the others. link to Wikipedia article
The military’s involvement in construction, operation and receipt of airport earnings are somewhat unique in Mexico, to say the least.

Route MEX-NLU, Google Maps
RFNJ likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 16, 20 at 11:17 am
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
he mandated the closure of the NAICM (abandoning an airport that was at least 30% completed, but left with bonds, etc. to pay for over the following decades and then trying to flood it so it would be “restored to its natural state” and made into a park in parts).
Hard to believe all of this construction made under President Peña Nieto is now wasted. There is such a substantial foundation that it will be difficult to flood.

NAICM
JDiver and RFNJ like this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Thanks for all that info, JDiver. I hope that Aeromexico can keep MEX for both International/Domestic. Thats my main carrier, and I dread having to get on a bus just to get my connection. I remember the vote, it was about as rigged as possible. Run by Morena, and the majority of voters were from the same neighborhood near NAICM that had been against it for 20 years. 1% of the country speaking for the rest of them.

I tend to sit in A seats leaving MEX, and loved seeing the new footprint. Now it just makes me sad. And from what I have read, is the overall cost between the two is going to far exceed the cost of the original NAICM.
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RFNJ View Post
Thanks for all that info, JDiver. I hope that Aeromexico can keep MEX for both International/Domestic. Thats my main carrier, and I dread having to get on a bus just to get my connection. I remember the vote, it was about as rigged as possible. Run by Morena, and the majority of voters were from the same neighborhood near NAICM that had been against it for 20 years. 1% of the country speaking for the rest of them.

I tend to sit in A seats leaving MEX, and loved seeing the new footprint. Now it just makes me sad. And from what I have read, is the overall cost between the two is going to far exceed the cost of the original NAICM.
70% of the 10% who actually voted of the eligible voters endorsed the “two airports” option, essentially giving 7% of eligible voters a “win”. There were “incentives” for those opposed to AICM to vote.

According to a study by Colegio de Ingenieros Civiles de México (CICM, the college of civil engineers), the cost of simultaneously operating MEX and NLU will cost $385,738 millions of pesos, a 66% increase in costs over operating NAIM (Nuevo Aeropuerto Internacional de México).

The cost of works for access and connectivity between MEX and NLU will add a cost of $63,310 millions of pesos, according to the Instituto Mexicano del Transporte (Mexican Transport Association).

According to Grupo Aeroportuario de la Ciudad de México (GACM - México City airport operations group), the cost of cancelling various contracts let for AICM construction will be approximately $100,000 millions of peso. Keeping the current Benito Juárez MEX airport will require approximately $5,000 millions of pesos in remodeling costs.

Though AMLO has estimated Santa Lucia construction costs of $70,342 millions of pesos, that cost is based on a cost of $4,600 pesos per meter of terminal construction. The current costs of construction in the area are $20,000 pesos per m2, as little as $15,000 pesos per m2 for “austere” construction, according to the CICM. The construction costs at Santa Lucia are likely to approximate $217,428 millions of pesos, not 79,342 million.

The CICM estimates the total costs of the projected operation of two airports at $385,738 millions of pesos, whereas the completion of the AICM in progress would cost $232,230 millions of pesos.

Terminal de Santa Lucía, opción 66% más cara que el NAIM

La Economista, Octavio Amador 12 Sep 2018 — link
RFNJ likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
that is absurd nd embarrassing for Mexico. And AMLO came in to root out Pena Nieto's corruption....? sheesh, three more vacation homes would have been cheaper!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: