SJD - San Jose Los Cabos Uber began 3 Oct 2018 - Taxi Syndicate Backlash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

We are leaving Cabo today and hired roundtrip transfers as we have done in the past. Today, the service said they could not return us. They paid for a taxi. Apparently, Uber started on the 3rd and there are major problems now with the taxi drivers, Uber and private companies. The taxis are preventing airport access to the others. The owner of the company we use describe it as a nightmare. Apparently the leader of the taxi unions is now director of transportation after a recent mayoral election. (The new mayor appointed him.)

Hopefully things settle soon,.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We may see more of these issues surface with the President elect of Mexico (Andrs Manuel Lpez Obrador, commonly referred to by his initials AMLO, who takes full office 1 Dec 2018) and his stated greater support of workers and social actions.

We will refrain from discussing Mexican politics here, but this may not be the last conflict we see surface (again, even) between Taxi syndicates and other means of transportation.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
We may see more of these issues surface with the President elect of Mexico (Andrs Manuel Lpez Obrador, commonly referred to by his initials AMLO, who takes full office 1 Dec 2018) and his stated greater support of workers and social actions.

We will refrain from discussing Mexican politics here, but this may not be the last conflict we see surface (again, even) between Taxi syndicates and other means of transportation.
Yes, I was in Cancun for the Presidential election. Had trouble finding alcohol on election day.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A further data point: I'm in Cabo right now and Uber is almost unusable in Cabo proper. I had multiple canceled rides yesterday, and one successful one. It reminded me of how Uber functioned in NOLA in the first few days of launch. I wouldn't rely on Uber being available just yet.

I couldn't get Andale to work as an on-demand alternative, but I'm trying the pre-reserve feature today and will report back on how it works.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
anyone else know about Andale?

Did it not work as in no cars or the app didn't work?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
Did it not work as in no cars or the app didn't work?
No cars. I was able to use it effectively for pre-reserved transportation, but note that the app offers SUV and van options, when there are really only (small) cars available. We reserved an SUV and ended up having to get two cars to fit us all.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
How is the Uber situation today? Any better? I'm considering using one to take us from SJD into Cabo. I love how car rentals are only $40 for the week, but really $520 after insurance is added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.