Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

There is a new "PedWest" crossing into Tijuana as of 31 July 2017.
see video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fejv0gjtAec

There is a general plan for updating and expanding the San Ysidro - Chaparral border crossing during the next few years. Be aware of pending changes.

For the pedestrian crossing between Otay Mesa and TIJ / Aeropuerto Internacional General Abelardo L. Rodríguez - Tijuana International Airport see here.

Passport
US citizens can cross the border coming back from Tijuana with a valid passport or a US passport card.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards
US Customs and Border Protection also recognizes Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as SENTRI and NEXUS. These cards serve as identification and can speed your entry into the United States.

Proof of Citizenship
Americans without passports or special documents also can return across the border from Tijuana with two proofs of citizenship, e.g. a driver's license and birth certificate.

Visa-free access
U.S. citizens do not need a visa to visit Mexico (for stays up to 6 months). Visitors entering by land and traveling farther than 20 kilometres (12 miles) into Mexico or staying longer than 72 hours must obtain a document, Forma Migratoria Multiple. The immigration official at the port of entry will stamp both halves of the form and hand you the smaller half. It’s important to keep this document safe, as you will need to surrender it when you leave Mexico.
Print Wikipost

Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:51 pm

I believe at the San Ysidro border crossing, you can use the SENTRI lane (SENTRI is generally for folks who frequently cross the U.S.-Mexico border). Otherwise, it's an extremely long queue to get back into the U.S. outside of the wee hours of the morning.

As for checking out Tijuana, when I lived in the San Diego area, I'd go once a week for the food. Depending on how much time you have, you could visit Puerto Nuevo for its lobster (public transit is available). Tijuana has some darn good fish tacos and gastropubs if you want to limit yourself to that city. Plus, they've got jai alai!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
I believe at the San Ysidro border crossing, you can use the SENTRI lane (SENTRI is generally for folks who frequently cross the U.S.-Mexico border). Otherwise, it's an extremely long queue to get back into the U.S. outside of the wee hours of the morning.

As for checking out Tijuana, when I lived in the San Diego area, I'd go once a week for the food. Depending on how much time you have, you could visit Puerto Nuevo for its lobster (public transit is available). Tijuana has some darn good fish tacos and gastropubs if you want to limit yourself to that city. Plus, they've got jai alai!
Thanks -- I was actually reading on another site (regularly updated) and they claim that the early morning hours actually have some of the longest lines According to a few people there, I can indeed use the SENTRI lane with Global Entry.

I'm going to start another thread for Tijuana recommendations, but thanks for your advice!

-J.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Looking for any and all information about crossing the border at San Ysidro. I have a day-long SAN layover coming up on Sunday and would like to try to go to Tijuana to get a bite to eat (would cross as a pedestrian). I have Global Entry and I understand I can use that card to cross the border in an expedited lane (I think?).

Specifically, the information I'm looking for is:
  • Where is the expedited lane and is it always open?
  • How long should I expect to be in said lane?
  • Am I totally crazy for trying to do this?

Thanks in advance! I looked for other threads and couldn't find anything with recent info.

-J.
Yes, you can. The GE card can be used in the SENTRI lane to return to the USA as a pedestrian.
You will see a line that starts in Mexico, keep to the right and just cut to the front and show CBP officers your GE card and they will let you in. After CBP lets you in, keep walking on the right and you'll see a line form on the left as it enters the building. Forget about the line, just keep on walking on the right hand side. Be prepared to show your GE card again at this point because they do want to ensure that you are indeed a participant of GE.
I'm usually the first or even the fifth person in line so there's isn't really a wait...

*TIP* Sometimes the Policia Municipal will stop you from walking up to the front. Just show them your GE card and they will let you walk up to the front. I had this happen to me and simply showed my GE card and told him in Spanish that I'm SENTRI and they let me through.
  • When doing the initial walk in Mexico to the border, watch where you walk. Uneven sidewalks, little kids sitting, steps, metal plates covering utilities etc...
  • Ignore people (even little kids) that try to sell you stuff or ask for money.
The above two pretty much applies to downtown Tijuana.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Oct 27, 2022 at 11:14 pm
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:08 am

Thanks -- I was actually reading on another site (regularly updated) and they claim that the early morning hours actually have some of the longest lines According to a few people there, I can indeed use the SENTRI lane with Global Entry.

I'm going to start another thread for Tijuana recommendations, but thanks for your advice!

-J.
​​​​​Oh, I was referring to 1-3am. But for sure, a bit later than that is when day laborers are starting to queue up. You may want to visit this site for more info specific to San Ysidro: https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/09250401/POV.

​​​​​
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Just to follow up -- had a great time in Tijuana today. I got a regular white and green cab and he actually came back to pick me up when I said I would be leaving. I have his info and will use him again should I return. Walked completely past the main line and got through SENTRI in <5 minutes. The officer took a very close look at the magnet I bought but otherwise was a totally painless (actually pleasant) process.

-J.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Just to follow up -- had a great time in Tijuana today.

I got a regular white and green cab and he actually came back to pick me up when I said I would be leaving. I have his info and will use him again should I return. Walked completely past the main line and got through SENTRI in <5 minutes. The officer took a very close look at the magnet I bought but otherwise was a totally painless (actually pleasant) process.
Back when I used to visit TJ, I was told that was the safe one to use. Of course I am a walker, so I always just hoofed it - takes all of about 15 minutes to walk from the border to Avenida Revolucion. I'd I always pick up a bottle of tequila on the way back to the border
GW McLintock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.