FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1897413-day-trip-tijuana-san-ysidro-border-crossing.html)

JDiver Jun 1, 2007 3:24 pm

Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing

4 Attachment(s)
A few maps to assist.

Border for pedestrians

River zone

Downtown Tijuana map

Those desiring to go on to Rosario Beach and Ensenada can use the last map to walk to the ABC (some buses titled Mexicoach) bus station just across the border to take the bus. Every 15 minutes, ~$10-15.

wcj1 Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

We are planning on a trip to Tijuana soon and will be taking the trolley down from San Diego and walking across the border. We have done this once before, but it was ~15 years ago. I have been trying to read up online, but since it has changed recently, I am not sure if I understand everything.

My understanding is that there is the old pedestrian crossing (both directions) near the trolley. Then there is the new crossing (PedWest?) near the outlet mall.

Beyond the new location being new, my preference would be to use the old location, since it is closest to the trolley. Am I correct so far?

Also, on the return, we both have NEXUS, so I believe we can use the SENTRI Lane for expedited re-entry back to the USA. We are planning on taking Cabify back to the border and I'm not sure where to be dropped off. Would this address put us in the right spot?
22190, Xicoténcatl 229-1, Jardines del Rio, Tecate, B.C., Mexico

Thanks.

maverikbc Aug 20, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm unaware of new pedestrian crossing west of i5. That's where we used to enter tijuana like 10 years ago.

Buy some pesos near the station, then follow with the crowd. Note you now need passport to enter Mexico, since 1 or 2 years, nexus card won't do. However nexus is a God send on your way back.

Coming back to USA via Tecate?? Why?

wcj1 Aug 21, 2017 8:09 am

That did not map right at all. Garita san Ysidro, Rampa Xicoténcatl 229 L-B, Cuauhtemoc, 22400 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
https://goo.gl/maps/jKtWZRAJ54P2

PedWest
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...724-story.html

JDiver Aug 21, 2017 12:12 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go. Current maps including PedWest (opened 31 Jul 2017) from San Diego Union and BajaNomad:

muji Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm

A Google aerial view of the border area at Tijuana:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...754281744&z=18

JDiver Sep 24, 2017 8:24 am

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, muji.

stvr Mar 6, 2018 12:37 pm

Review of PedWest:

Landed at TIJ airport at 2 P.M.

Hailed an UberX. To get to PedWest, this is the best Google Maps location:

"Garita El Chaparral ascenso y descenso"

There's a sign there for Uber drop-offs.

The Uber cost 70 MXN ($4).

I then got into the PedWest Ready Lane, which moved faster (but not much faster) the general lane. At the end, you can cut a few people by going into a Sentri Lane if you remember your plastic card. If you don't, it will take longer. All in all, it was 15 minutes of waiting.

Once you cross, you can hail an Uber Express Pool. Odds are, you will match with someone who also just crossed, so it's an efficient use of Pool. I got a $13 Uber to San Diego Airport. We made no stops. (My co-Pool rider was going to SeaWorld, which is farther than the airport.)

Why not just do CBX? Because I was bored and curious, and this cost $13+$4. CBX would have been $16 + $35 Uber to San Diego airport (no Pool in Otay Mesa, sadly). If I were with family (or if they had a National Car Rental at CBX), I would do CBX instead in a heartbeat.

HotelHacker Mar 6, 2018 6:25 pm

Day Trip to Tijuana

Hi

I live in San Diego and would like to take a day trip to Tijuana sometime. I've never been to Mexico before though so I am not sure what to expect. I have read the other threads here about the new pedestrian crossing & filling in the FMM, so that's a start I guess, haha.

I'm planning to take the trolley to San Ysidro and walk across. I've noticed by looking at Google Maps that there are walkways on the Mexico side that go from the border to where the "Tijuana Arch" is. I can see that from San Ysidro. Is it safe to walk from the border to that area?

Is it safe to ride the bus?
How much peso should I take?
Is it OK to eat anything there?
What can you bring back to the US?

I have seen a lot of conflicting information so would like to hear from someone who's been recently. ty!

stimpy Mar 7, 2018 3:54 am

Timely as I'm thinking of doing something similar, but with an overnight in TJ. It's been at least 20 years since I was last there and I assume some things must have changed in that time. However I would expect that the food is still great and that it is safe unless you are out late looking for trouble.

Can I still use US dollars everywhere? Is it still about $5 for a taxi from the border to Zona Centro or Rio?

What is Revolution street like nowadays?

stimpy Mar 7, 2018 4:00 am

Just found this thread. If I am parking a car on the US side, is Ped West the best choice?

Does having a Global Entry card help for the return? Are there taxis on the Mexico side? I don't have roaming for Mexico so I probably would not use Uber.

TIA!

JDiver Mar 8, 2018 5:14 pm

American residents visiting Tijuana on a day trip (or less than 72 hours) don’t need to submit a FMM. Dollars are well accepted. Most food should be okay in your mid to upper scale restaurants; in the cheaper ones avoid raw veggies and less than recently cooked hot food, ice or water that isn’t bottled.

For what you’re able to bring back to the US, Google US Customs Know Before You Go.

KevinS Mar 12, 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29495082)
Just found this thread. If I am parking a car on the US side, is Ped West the best choice?

Does having a Global Entry card help for the return? Are there taxis on the Mexico side? I don't have roaming for Mexico so I probably would not use Uber.

TIA!

Since you're question is both going in and coming out, I'll try to address both.

Walking *in*
- either way in is probably fine, although PedWest is slightly nicer/cleaner/newer
- once you get through, there will be tons of taxis. You want to use the *white* ones (called 'Libre'), rather than the orange; the orange ones are the 'soak the tourist' ones. That said, is border Mexico so even being overcharged isn't more than $5-$10 more than you should pay. From border to almost anyplace you'd probably go in TJ is $5 or less.
- Uber in Mexico has changed the landscape down there to the point where it might be worth getting roaming: you have agreed upon pricing, and they even have 'UberEnglish' where you get a reasonably fluent driver.

Walking *out*
- you really want to use PedWest - massive differential in time & efficiency, especially during peak times.
- GlobalEntry card is massively helpful. You walk past everyone, flash your card at the bottom of the line, walk up to kiosk, then walk through. Boom, done.
- there is a really cool app that we got recently, and recommend. The Border Patrol/Customs maintain this, and is pretty legit. https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp

KevinS Mar 12, 2018 8:41 am

We spent a good deal of time down there, so happy to help; is what this board is for after all :)
Whole bunch of questions in different posts, so will try to answer most of them:

@HotelHacker
* Once you cross the border, your best bet is grabbing an Uber. Uber in Tijuana has changed the landscape down there: you have agreed upon pricing, a clear line of sight to spend & a receipt, and they now have 'UberEnglish' where you get a reasonably fluent driver,, albeit at a higher cost. If not, there will be tons of taxis. You want to use the *white* ones (called 'Libre'), rather than the orange; the orange ones are the 'soak the tourist' ones. You should be able to go anywhere you'd want to go in TJ for less than $4; border to Revolucion/Arch is like $2 or less, and an easy reasonable walk. I probably wouldn't worry about figuring out the bus.
* Can't comment on how much money to take, since don't know what you're doing :) But almost anyplace/one will take USD or MXN. The exchange rate has been increasingly good for the dollar, and is 18.6 to 1 right now, so $1USD = $18.6MXN
* I'd eat almost anything, but stick with old school stay away from unbottled water and that includes ice. I'd echo @JDiver on raw veggies as well.
* For what you can bring back, check it here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/cbp-reqs-mexico

@stimpy
* as above on your first 2 questions, with an echo that $5 is 2x-3x what you should pay to get to Revolucion.
* as far as what it's like nowadays, probably nothing like you remember from 20yrs ago. After 9/11, TJ underwent a financial nosedive, then Mexican GenY & millenials have driven a 'reclaiming' of itself as a Mexican City, rather than a borderland playground. Tons of killer little restaurants, craft beer, trendy bohemian shopping areas, great nightclubs. The old school tacky tourist-crap & donkeys is only about 3blocks long now. The food & bev scene down there is actually getting a lot of recognition, and almost worth the trip just to eat & drink down there.

A recommendation for anyone going: there is a really cool app that we got recently, and recommend. The Border Patrol/Customs maintain this, and is pretty legit. https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp

JDiver Mar 12, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks, KevinS! That’s great information.

Note that “Libre” (literally, “free”) means the taxi is available for hire. The white color is the key in Tijuana, and licensed taxis will also display their company.

Wishes for “Pura vida” from Costa Rica.