Copper canyon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copper canyon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Copper canyon

Has anyone here been to Barrances del Cobre / Copper Canyon? I'm waiting for the Creel city airport to start flights but it sounds like a fascinating place.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by slickvik
Has anyone here been to Barrances del Cobre / Copper Canyon? I'm waiting for the Creel city airport to start flights but it sounds like a fascinating place.
Barrancas del Cobre, in some areas deeper and larger than the Grand Canyon and dwelling place for the Rarámuri ("Tarahumara") people. Link.

The most colorful way of going to the Copper Canyon is using the "ChePe" train, riding one way between Los Mochis, Sinaloa and Chihuahua city, Chihuahua, with a stop someplace like Creel or Divisadero. Creel, nearly at 8,000 feet, may not be getting a commercial flight for some time.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
Barrancas del Cobre, in some areas deeper and larger than the Grand Canyon and dwelling place for the Rarámuri ("Tarahumara") people. Link.

The most colorful way of going to the Copper Canyon is using the "ChePe" train, riding one way between Los Mochis, Sinaloa and Chihuahua city, Chihuahua, with a stop someplace like Creel or Divisadero. Creel, nearly at 8,000 feet, may not be getting a commercial flight for some time.
The airport is built but flights haven't started. Who knows when that will happen
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(

No, but one of these days I am going to take the family on that train ride....I believe it is one of, if not the, last passenger trains in Mexico.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
No, but one of these days I am going to take the family on that train ride....I believe it is one of, if not the, last passenger trains in Mexico.
True. We used to have a number of trains with passenger service.

The elite service was the international Aztec Eagle, between Mexico City and St. Louis MO. I rode it a number of times (via San Luís Potosí, Monterey, Laredo, SAN Antonio, etc.)

The quirky was "El Calamazo" as it was called, an autocar made in Kalamazoo that ran in the south.

The Cuernavaca - Mexico City steam narrow gauge (via Tepotzlán) took over four hours, but was a blast from the past with great scenery (train as seen in the original "The Magnificent Seven")

In the 1970s we took the overnight sleeper (1940s Pullman) from the city to Guadalajara.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
True. We used to have a number of trains with passenger service.

The elite service was the international Aztec Eagle, between Mexico City and St. Louis MO. I rode it a number of times (via San Luís Potosí, Monterey, Laredo, SAN Antonio, etc.)

The quirky was "El Calamazo" as it was called, an autocar made in Kalamazoo that ran in the south.

The Cuernavaca - Mexico City steam narrow gauge (via Tepotzlán) took over four hours, but was a blast from the past with great scenery (train as seen in the original "The Magnificent Seven")

In the 1970s we took the overnight sleeper (1940s Pullman) from the city to Guadalajara.
According to mi suegro, his father was one of, if not the, head chef for the rail system and probably served you on that trip to MO.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
According to mi suegro, his father was one of, if not the, head chef for the rail system and probably served you on that trip to MO.
Wow! Mundo pequeńo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.