Cancun - Activities

Old Feb 23, 15, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Cancun - Activities

I am looking on the forum with no luck of travelers experiences with activities in and around Cancun. What they recommend, how much they are paying and other experiences?

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 23, 15, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Tell us a little of what you like, we might be able to help.
Old Feb 23, 15, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Cancun activities

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Tell us a little of what you like, we might be able to help.
My wife and I are staying at Westing Lagunamar for 4 nights. Nothing to crazy. Xcaret, snorkeling, beach activities. Possibly dolphins, but dropping $100 for 20 minutes a person isn't really appealing. Renting a boat for 4 hours and a jet ski for 2 is appealing. Mayan ruins isnt that interesting. Adventurous stuff sounds good also. Hiking, trails, and other stuff.

I hope this gives a little bit of direction.
Old Feb 23, 15, 2:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by gty15 View Post
My wife and I are staying at Westing Lagunamar for 4 nights. Nothing to crazy. Xcaret, snorkeling, beach activities. Possibly dolphins, but dropping $100 for 20 minutes a person isn't really appealing. Renting a boat for 4 hours and a jet ski for 2 is appealing. Mayan ruins isnt that interesting. Adventurous stuff sounds good also. Hiking, trails, and other stuff.

I hope this gives a little bit of direction.
I'd suggest a trip to Cobá - dry forest trail, climb the area’s largest pyramid, Nohoch Mul. "On this tour you also get to take a canoe or kayak through a lagoon and fly on the zip-line above the Mayan jungle. Snorkeling and swimming opportunities are also available. This is an all-day tour, with pickup at your hotel. Food and beverages are included." You'll feel like Indiana Jines in the forest, and you'll probably not have big crowds.

Snorkeling can be far out in a denote (seh -KNOW-teh), limestone sinkholes and caverns in the jungle with clear water, like Cenote Azúl.

Akumal has great snorkeling - think sea turtles - and nearby a crystalline stream flowing into a salt water lagoon with lots of tropical fish, not far from the beach, called Yal-Ku.
, not far from Tulúm.

Xcaret is OK, IMO a kind of Disney version of nature, but a lot of people enjoy a visit for snorkeling, tubing, etc.

Plenty of opportunities to hire a jet ski or water skiing from the north end of the hotel zone, or even take the frequent ferries to Isla Mujeres.

I'd suggest, personally, forget about Dolphins snatched from their habitat in the Solomon Islands to make scads of money by "educating" (fleecing) tourists. On occasion, they have caused injury even. Rare, but true.

It's sunny and it can get boiling hot, depending on when you're going. Watch that sun!
Old Feb 23, 15, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

That's awesome information. thanks a lot. We are going March 8. Do you suggest renting a car? I'm tempted to but have heard horror stories about fees and fake damage. Also what about bringing my own snorkeling gear?
Old Feb 24, 15, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by gty15 View Post
That's awesome information. thanks a lot. We are going March 8. Do you suggest renting a car? I'm tempted to but have heard horror stories about fees and fake damage. Also what about bringing my own snorkeling gear?
I always prefer my own snorkeling gear (in a net bag for easy toting), and mask, if not fins. I've seen too many grotty used cheap snorkels that don't work well, too many masks that are hammered and won't work properly - snorkeling should be fun, not a hassle.

(BTW, late summer you can take a snorkel trip out of Cancún or Isla Mujeres to snorkel with whale sharks - I've been in the water with more than thirty sharks the size of small busses whilst they come and check me out, assume the heads up "bottle position" for eating plankton, etc. A-w-e some!)

Renting a car can be a hassle. Where I was born in the Capital, they only began demanding driver tests this year. most of the rest of Mexico ain't there yet. Road conditions can vary, rental companies can lowball you and charge you for fictional damages, etc. Check the rental thread out. Yet, I have rented... Though I can't recall from which company. (If you do rent, check all tires are good,mayor have a working spare and all tools... and use your cell phone to photo your car from all angles before and after.)
Old Feb 25, 15, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Tours

Do you recommend finding a tour company online and booking prior to travelling or just booking through hotel concierge? Or even from one the pestering salesman on the streets?
Old Jun 2, 15, 12:16 am

rental car and activities

recently returned from 1 week in Cancun.

booked a rental car on Hertz.com for pickup at CUN at a weekly rate of USD $55 using an AAA discount. by the time all was said and done, ended up paying about USD $220 including the local insurance (~ $25/day). other than the price difference, no real surprises. not once did we see any "tourist traffic police" lurking to pounce on unsuspecting visitors for a quick bribe, and we drove quite a bit.

personally, I thought having a car was quite helpful. we stayed in Zona Hoteleria (JW Marriott), but made frequent day trips out to Playa del Carmen (boat to Cozumel), several cenotes (sink holes, and I strongly recommend Cenote Azul - you won't be disappointed!), Tolum (which reminded me of a charming old-school beach town like Santa Cruz, CA).

yes, bring your own snorkeling gear! you'll be using it often!
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Looking at a day trip to Isla Mujeres in the morning...need to close down FT and get some Zzzz's

I've got my own gear- is a 'tour' that necessary? Doesn't seem so.
Old Jan 3, 16, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Looking at a day trip to Isla Mujeres in the morning...need to close down FT and get some Zzzz's

I've got my own gear- is a 'tour' that necessary? Doesn't seem so.
No tour necessary. Just avoid the area's the boats and jet skis prefer.

Search this Thread