FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancun - Activities
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:25 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gty15
My wife and I are staying at Westing Lagunamar for 4 nights. Nothing to crazy. Xcaret, snorkeling, beach activities. Possibly dolphins, but dropping $100 for 20 minutes a person isn't really appealing. Renting a boat for 4 hours and a jet ski for 2 is appealing. Mayan ruins isnt that interesting. Adventurous stuff sounds good also. Hiking, trails, and other stuff.

I hope this gives a little bit of direction.
I'd suggest a trip to Cobá - dry forest trail, climb the area’s largest pyramid, Nohoch Mul. "On this tour you also get to take a canoe or kayak through a lagoon and fly on the zip-line above the Mayan jungle. Snorkeling and swimming opportunities are also available. This is an all-day tour, with pickup at your hotel. Food and beverages are included." You'll feel like Indiana Jines in the forest, and you'll probably not have big crowds.

Snorkeling can be far out in a denote (seh -KNOW-teh), limestone sinkholes and caverns in the jungle with clear water, like Cenote Azúl.

Akumal has great snorkeling - think sea turtles - and nearby a crystalline stream flowing into a salt water lagoon with lots of tropical fish, not far from the beach, called Yal-Ku.
, not far from Tulúm.

Xcaret is OK, IMO a kind of Disney version of nature, but a lot of people enjoy a visit for snorkeling, tubing, etc.

Plenty of opportunities to hire a jet ski or water skiing from the north end of the hotel zone, or even take the frequent ferries to Isla Mujeres.

I'd suggest, personally, forget about Dolphins snatched from their habitat in the Solomon Islands to make scads of money by "educating" (fleecing) tourists. On occasion, they have caused injury even. Rare, but true.

It's sunny and it can get boiling hot, depending on when you're going. Watch that sun!