Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Eve driving in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Christmas Eve driving in Mexico City

Hi all,

Just need a quick bit of advice. Landing in MEX on Xmas Eve at about 7pm and plan to be in Puebla. Can anyone with any experience on Xmas eve conditions let me know if I should

- drive to Puebla the next morning as the night drive is unsafe/not simple and stay in Mexico City that night. Will stay in the Hilton reforma if so - will roads be closed? Will there be loads of traffic?

- just drive from the airport to Puebla direct.

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Take the highway / motorway and drive straight through; you'll find not many will be on the roads Christmas eve. You can avoid hassle and take the nice bus directly to Puebla and rent locally if you wish, as well.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by ba bob
Will stay in the Hilton reforma
Off topic, but if you do stay here, eat at the restaurant just off the lobby (El Cardinale). Breakfast is one of the best around town; many local business people and political types eat there. You can charge the bill to your room ^
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:47 pm

El Cardenal has several locations in the city; they specialize in genuine (mostly central) Mexican food. At breakfast, be sure to order the hot chocolate, which is prepared table side by beating a froth into it using the traditional hand-spun "molinillo".
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Thanks for the spelling correction

Really wish I would have eaten there more than once...the food was that good. ^

Originally Posted by JDiver
El Cardenal has several locations in the city; they specialize in genuine (mostly central) Mexican food. At breakfast, be sure to order the hot chocolate, which is prepared table side by beating a froth into it using the traditional hand-spun "molinillo".
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:57 am

El Cardenal is the best The Hilton location has a nice Rivera-style mural to admire while you're eating. The original location on (Calle) Palma has an "Old Mexico City" feel to it; one block off of the Zocalo. The third location is on (Avenida de las) Palmas; it's more modern and the most upscale of them all, but still just as good.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I would take a prepaid taxi to the bus station serving Puebla and then rent locally after arrival in Puebla City. There won't be all that much traffic, but that's a big time for families to get together, so there will be some and driving in DF is a royal pain anytime. I live in Mexico and I wouldn't do it myself.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by globetrots
I would take a prepaid taxi to the bus station serving Puebla and then rent locally after arrival in Puebla City. There won't be all that much traffic, but that's a big time for families to get together, so there will be some and driving in DF is a royal pain anytime. I live in Mexico and I wouldn't do it myself.
May be no need; busses for Puebla can be taken at the airport. Though it could be there will be schedule reductions on "Noche Buena" and an airport hotel would serve as an easy overnight to catch a day bus to Puebla.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.