Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cancun Ideas on Food & Things to Do, other than...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancun Ideas on Food & Things to Do, other than...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So when you're travelling alone to Cancun.. what are some things you like to do as a single travelling?
I've been to CUN so many times, and have done all the tours(some as many as three times). So nowadays I will generally hang out on the beach all day or roam about taking photos. I usually just like to take in the natural beauty of the area.

I stay at hotels that are usually out of the price range of rowdy college kids, as CUN is just a place for me to unwind and slow down.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I've been to CUN so many times, and have done all the tours(some as many as three times). So nowadays I will generally hang out on the beach all day or roam about taking photos. I usually just like to take in the natural beauty of the area.

I stay at hotels that are usually out of the price range of rowdy college kids, as CUN is just a place for me to unwind and slow down.
Definitely isolated.. as telecommunications costs are exhorbitant.. I depend on the complimentary internet to keep me connected..

So its a personal place for you to unwind.. sounds like the perfect vacation..

Which resorts have you been to and which do you recommend?

We just stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba in Riviera Maya..
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:10 pm

Wink

Definitely isolated.. as telecommunications costs are exhorbitant.. I depend on the complimentary internet to keep me connected..
I usually curtail my internet use in CUN. I will logon once or twice during a 10 day stay. I'm there to relax and isolate myself.

So its a personal place for you to unwind.. sounds like the perfect vacation..
Yeah, I just wake up, head to the beach to eat, sleep, swim, and have a beer for most of the day. Then head back to the room to clean up, and nap. At night, I head out for dinner, then a maybe hang out at one of the hotel lounges to meet people. I'm usually back in the room by midnight.

Next day... lather, rinse, repeat.

Which resorts have you been to and which do you recommend?
I'm a creature of tradition, so I stay at the Fiesta Americana Condessa. I've been staying there for the past 16 years. I also stay at the Hilton as well. I like the service at both hotels.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
.... I also stay at the Hilton as well. I like the service at both hotels.
So sad the Cancun Hilton will be no more.......
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I usually curtail my internet use in CUN. I will logon once or twice during a 10 day stay. I'm there to relax and isolate myself.

Yeah, I just wake up, head to the beach to eat, sleep, swim, and have a beer for most of the day. Then head back to the room to clean up, and nap. At night, I head out for dinner, then a maybe hang out at one of the hotel lounges to meet people. I'm usually back in the room by midnight.

Next day... lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm a creature of tradition, so I stay at the Fiesta Americana Condessa. I've been staying there for the past 16 years. I also stay at the Hilton as well. I like the service at both hotels.
I noticed the isolation to be quite nice.. although not as isolated as Cuba, sure pretty close..

It really feels like you're in another world when the telecommunications is severely limited..
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Yeah, that totally sucks. I guess I will have to find another alternate hotel.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Yeah, that totally sucks. I guess I will have to find another alternate hotel.
We drove by in a tour transfer vehicle.. so the Hilton is done like dinner..

What are they doing with it?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:08 am

We drove by in a tour transfer vehicle.. so the Hilton is done like dinner..

What are they doing with it?
Unfortunately, Iberostar will be taking over the property.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, Iberostar will be taking over the property.
Ahhh.. gotcha..

Not that Hilton was being condemned.. but a building sale and transfer of management agreement.

I guess if you miss it that much, you could always visit, or book with Iberostar..
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:59 am

I guess if you miss it that much, you could always visit, or book with Iberostar..
I will have to visit the property the next time I'm down there, and see how they set things up. They do have one of the nicest beaches on the sandbar.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:01 am

<Duplicate post>
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

I will have to visit the property the next time I'm down there, and see how they set things up. They do have one of the nicest beaches on the sandbar.
Yes, that location is superb.. and the sand is sea shellish.. not dusty, but refined..

Its surprising that Hilton would sell the hotel.. I couldn't imagine that they would sell a key hotel location such as in Cancun, unless the expenses and the bottom line didn't make sense.. and sell the hotel without a management contract..
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:08 pm

Yes, that location is superb.. and the sand is sea shellish.. not dusty, but refined..
even when the beaches were 100% eroded at most hotels, the Hilton had a great beach.

Its surprising that Hilton would sell the hotel.. I couldn't imagine that they would sell a key hotel location such as in Cancun...
Hilton has a good record of making very poor strategic decisions regarding properties.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:53 pm
Suspended

even when the beaches were 100% eroded at most hotels, the Hilton had a great beach.

Hilton has a good record of making very poor strategic decisions regarding properties.
I've heard that Cancun beaches often need to be restored by bringing in truckloads of sand, or somehow have the sand remediated..

I wonder if the Hilton has a new property planned for the Cancun area?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:50 am

I've heard that Cancun beaches often need to be restored by bringing in truckloads of sand, or somehow have the sand remediated..
When I first went to CUN in '94 you had to walk about 100 ft to get to the water. Over the years the beach started to erode, and every year the beach was smaller and smaller. Then hurricane wilma hit and it took three years off of the beach.

Total beach erosion at my hotel Fiesta Americana Condessa

Beaches being restored.

I wonder if the Hilton has a new property planned for the Cancun area?
I haven't heard of anything. Even if they were going to open another resort, there is no property on the sandbar of that size so it will be considerably smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.