Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cancun Ideas on Food & Things to Do, other than...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I've been to cancun several times and am going next week. my main thing is just to get away and go to the beach. in the past i've done the day trips to chichen itza, isla mujeres, etc. they are fun, but sometimes going on a full day trip is exhausting on beach vacation. also, i have found pretty good places to eat, but they strike me as quite expensive relative to the quality of the food. this may be because i'm spoiled, as i live in a part of massachusetts that has an abundance of fantastic inexpensive food.

the argentinean restaurant, i think called puerto madero, was good but overpriced, the italian restaurant inside of the mall (i think plaza kukulcan or something) was good but expensive, etc.

questions:

1) does anyone have suggestions on places to eat that are both good but not super overpriced?

2) any ideas on things to do other than hanging at the beach that are near the hotel zone and don't necessarily involve a full day trip on the bus?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dpakman91
I've been to cancun several times and am going next week. my main thing is just to get away and go to the beach. in the past i've done the day trips to chichen itza, isla mujeres, etc. they are fun, but sometimes going on a full day trip is exhausting on beach vacation. also, i have found pretty good places to eat, but they strike me as quite expensive relative to the quality of the food. this may be because i'm spoiled, as i live in a part of massachusetts that has an abundance of fantastic inexpensive food.

the argentinean restaurant, i think called puerto madero, was good but overpriced, the italian restaurant inside of the mall (i think plaza kukulcan or something) was good but expensive, etc.

questions:

1) does anyone have suggestions on places to eat that are both good but not super overpriced?

2) any ideas on things to do other than hanging at the beach that are near the hotel zone and don't necessarily involve a full day trip on the bus?
The food found in most joints close to the hotel district in Cancun is pretty much like anywhere else in the US. You may want to venture into old town parts of Cancun - a bit away from the bustle of the hotel district to get some good local food. I am sure your hotel concierge can point to a couple of good places in the town - they did that for us and we were not disappointed - sorry it was a few years ago - so don't remember the names.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
try looking here www.cancunmx.com they have been around for at least 20 years. look under the forums tab and ask for suggestions there.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
2) any ideas on things to do other than hanging at the beach that are near the hotel zone and don't necessarily involve a full day trip on the bus?[/QUOTE]

Boat trip to Isla Majueres..

Xcaret, or Xelha

Wet and Wild.. food all inclusive..

We did the all of the above the last trip..

You could try ziplining as well at Cancun..
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:47 pm

How about a visit to Aktun Chen? I had a group of 12 people there in July and many of them said it was the best day trip of all. Cool cave tour, zip lines which beat those at Selvatica in Puerto Morelos, and a couple of animals. Cost was reasonable too in comparison to many day trip opportunties.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BigDog
How about a visit to Aktun Chen? I had a group of 12 people there in July and many of them said it was the best day trip of all. Cool cave tour, zip lines which beat those at Selvatica in Puerto Morelos, and a couple of animals. Cost was reasonable too in comparison to many day trip opportunties.
Where is Akten Chen?..

We visited Xelha, and XCaret which has the underground caves, snorkeling, beach, etc... and there is a zipline near Cancun for tourists..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Where is Akten Chen?...
It's Aktun Chen:

http://www.aktunchen.com/

Aktunchen a Mayan name that means "natural well inside a cave" is located at 25 minutes from Playa del Carmen in the heart of the Riviera Maya, 4 km south of Akumal and 16km before Tulum.

Being an avid snorkeler I'd suggest OP consider getting wet and experiencing the reef along the coastline as it is memorable.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's Aktun Chen:

http://www.aktunchen.com/

Aktunchen a Mayan name that means "natural well inside a cave" is located at 25 minutes from Playa del Carmen in the heart of the Riviera Maya, 4 km south of Akumal and 16km before Tulum.

Being an avid snorkeler I'd suggest OP consider getting wet and experiencing the reef along the coastline as it is memorable.
We've visited XCaret the last trip out and Xelha 5 years ago..

www.xcaret.com
www.xelha.com

Is Aktunchen sort of like the above.. and maybe like Xplor.. I think the parks are in the same vicinity as Aktunchen.. and has the underwater river caves..

www.xplor.com

Any differences between these parks and Aktunchen?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I've been going to CUN twice a year for the past 15 years, and have watched things change including the prices going up.

Originally Posted by dpakman91
I would try looking in the downtown area outside of the hotel zone. There are a number or places in the area where you can get good mexican food.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:36 pm

Head to the crafts market downtown and find a lunch stall. IIRC, they are in little "pods" of four. Find a crowded one...I've never had a problem with the Aztec Two Step as long as you go where the locals go.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by John Galt
Head to the crafts market downtown and find a lunch stall. IIRC, they are in little "pods" of four. Find a crowded one...I've never had a problem with the Aztec Two Step as long as you go where the locals go.
Agree..

To frequent crowded kiosks, especially with locals.. a sign that the food is famous and safe..
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:41 am

Am I the only one who goes to CUN to just lay on the beach with no agenda.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Am I the only one who goes to CUN to just lay on the beach with no agenda.
5 years ago when we visited CUN Mayan Riviera.. did just that, and my wife was bored..

and so this time, I booked a bunch of trips, and my wife ended up wishing that we would stay at the resort and beach more.. At least I tried..
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
5 years ago when we visited CUN Mayan Riviera.. did just that, and my wife was bored..

and so this time, I booked a bunch of trips, and my wife ended up wishing that we would stay at the resort and beach more.. At least I tried..
That's one reason I like to travel alone.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
That's one reason I like to travel alone.
So when you're travelling alone to Cancun.. what are some things you like to do as a single travelling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.