Mexico's violence not keeping tourists away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico's violence not keeping tourists away

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by gdeluca
I will not continue to go to Cancun if all I can do is stay in the resort.
From the current issue of the Economist:
"Yucatán, where tourists snorkel with whale sharks, sees fewer killings per person than Canada."

Full article.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
You're comparing a region of Mexico with the entirety of Canada? Some comparison. Invalid. Secondly, Canada (and the USA) have a good reporting system of crimes and have a universal classification system of what constitutes the various crimes - Mexico has neither.

If you're trying to say the Yucatan (and just which geographical area are you speaking of, the region or the state?) is a relatively safe part of Mexico for tourists to wander about and visit, that's my impression (also).
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
I would personally not feel comfortable driving with foreign license plates in northern Mexico right now, especially in the states of Sinaloa, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas. I'm sure somebody will point out that they drive all the time to Mexico without a problem and I won't disagree with them. But with the current instability in this part of Mexico if you have the option to fly over northern Mexico, I'd do so. Besides Mexico has some of the most expensive highway tolls around.
Thanks !

Yes, I know the tolls are bad,
but as one friend said: "The Toll Road fee includes ALL bribes " !!

I do have an award ticket AUS-PVR already issued,
which I can redeposit without fee if I decide to drive.

EDIT: Already decided, just going to fly into GDL and open jaw return from PVR.
But it was fun to analyze a road trip.......

My idea to reduce exposure would be to arrive at the
fancy crossing upriver from Laredo about dawn,
where the permit is quite professionally issued.

....avoid Monterrey and go via Monclova and Cuatrocienegas,
(A route I've driven before, twice, whatever that is worth).

to Torreon, where I have a nice PB booked at the Crown Plaza.
Then move on to Mazatlan, rest up, and down to PVR.
New Years in Guadalajara area, return north via Zacatecas etc.

I've got 2 months to continue to consider. @:-)

Last edited by MrHalliday; Oct 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by gomexico
You're comparing a region of Mexico with the entirety of Canada? Some comparison. Invalid. Secondly, Canada (and the USA) have a good reporting system of crimes and have a universal classification system of what constitutes the various crimes - Mexico has neither.

If you're trying to say the Yucatan (and just which geographical area are you speaking of, the region or the state?) is a relatively safe part of Mexico for tourists to wander about and visit, that's my impression (also).
Uhm - did you miss that it's a quote from the Economist? Complain to them if you feel so strongly about the issue.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the peninsula, not the state.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:13 am

Some parts of Mexico (the border areas), are strictly a no go, not only for tourists but for Mexicans too. Nevertheless, tourists continue to travel to much of Mexico, as will I. The two articles below are interesting, the first factual the second more of a puff piece, especially if you know where that hotel is located.

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/me...t-mexico-24197

http://www.time.com/time/travel/arti...019556,00.html
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:01 pm

I'd describe the second article better than the first. The Boca Chica hotel is located in what'll become - in the next decade - Mexico's "South Beach." It's a higher-priced hotel than I typically stay at, but beautifully restored along one of the city's most popular beaches.

The first article indicates a relatively flat - or small increas in - tourist visits. 2009 was the year of H1N1 and tourism dropped dramatically. It's not a year to make a comparison with.

Where the tourists are arriving would be an important consideration. It's not just the northern border zone that's badly impacted by terrorism and violence - the scope of the problem touches many other areas as well.

Thanks for the further information sources.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Thanks !

Yes, I know the tolls are bad,
but as one friend said: "The Toll Road fee includes ALL bribes " !!

I do have an award ticket AUS-PVR already issued,
which I can redeposit without fee if I decide to drive.

EDIT: Already decided, just going to fly into GDL and open jaw return from PVR.
But it was fun to analyze a road trip.......

My idea to reduce exposure would be to arrive at the
fancy crossing upriver from Laredo about dawn,
where the permit is quite professionally issued.

....avoid Monterrey and go via Monclova and Cuatrocienegas,
(A route I've driven before, twice, whatever that is worth).

to Torreon, where I have a nice PB booked at the Crown Plaza.
Then move on to Mazatlan, rest up, and down to PVR.
New Years in Guadalajara area, return north via Zacatecas etc.

I've got 2 months to continue to consider. @:-)
If you are going to drive from Mazatlan to PVR, note that the tolls from Mazatlan to Tepic are about 400 pesos. The drive from Tepic to PVR is dangerous, because of the 2 lane windy highway and amount of traffic. It is a good idea to do this stretch during daylight hours
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA GS // SPG Plat // Hyatt Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gdeluca
As a 30 year annual visitor to Cancun it is frustrating to see the toll violence is taking in Mexico. The people of Mexico are beautiful, genuine and caring and I hate for them to be subjected to the violence even in Cancun. After we were there in June this year, a story came out where one of the nightclubs locals frequent was firebombed by one of the drug cartels because the owner refused to pay $40,000 cash in protection. Seven people were killed, all staff of the club I believe.

I will not continue to go to Cancun if all I can do is stay in the resort. If I cannot go out to the local food shops and flea markets, take drives to Playa and Aventura, then we will not go.

Very sad indeed...
+1...this is very sad, i was looking forward to taking a holiday with my wife and 2 yo son to explore the amazing places and meet the warm people of mexico. we will continue but with a less adventurous itinerary.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:30 am

My first visit to central MX...

...Hi Folks, additionally this is my first post here on flyer talk. I am Afro-am, pure gringa (if you can use gringa to describe me?). My fiance is Mexican, who lived here in Chicago for the past 10 years. He went home to visit family recently and has asked me to come to meet his family in Mexico City. I have bought my ticket and will leave mid December and return in January. Of course, all friends and family here in Chicago are very skeptical due to the bad press about the drug cartels and kidnapping in MX. I will be staying in a suburb of DF with Mexicans, and I likely won't be going out anywhere alone. I feel that I will be safe. Any suggestions from the experienced group here would be greatly appreciated? I don't have fear about the racism in MX, having lived here in the US all my life, and my fiance's family is considered "morenos". Actually, here in Chicago we suffered discrimination from both the Afro-ams and the Mexicans. It was really quite enlightening...but we managed.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:30 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Enjoy your visit to Mexico City. Pay attention to the safety hints your fiancee and his family give you; you more than likely will be just fine.

Interestingly enough, while there is skin color discrimination in Mexico there is even more of a class discrimination based on income or perceived income.

Appearances are very important in Mexico so be sure to dress well, especially if you are invited to a reunion or party.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:47 pm

Mexicans can be as prejudiced and discriminatory as folks in the USA, or elsewhere. As an African-American woman you've, unfortunately, been exposed to that. I think most Mexicans are totally unaware of the existence of large numbers of blacks in a couple of parts of the country - or about the use of African-origin slaves in Mexico in past history. You'll probably be a novelty, oddity in the colonia where you'll be staying. About safety, pay attention to the advice of the family and you should be just fine. Have a great visit!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I'm studying (on a language holiday) in Guanajuato right now and it feels quite safe. It is an interesting city, with lots of cultural activities, and a lively scene in the evenings in the city (although there are a LOT of teenagers and young adults hanging out - it's a university town). People are very friendly. I walk down to the city center in the evening on my own but take a taxi back.

My dad and stepmother go to Puerto Vallarta every winter and feel quite comfortable there. They've also toured around a bit in a rental car or on buses and never had problems.

I go to Mexico City on business every few months. There, I don't feel so secure. I probably am too cautious, but I don't go out much on my own - only with my colleagues. I do feel comfortable walking around a bit near the hotel where I stay and near our office, but that's about it. Almost every colleague I've spoken to has a robbery/mugging story to tell - not that much different from New York City in the 80s, really.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by gomexico
Mexicans can be as prejudiced and discriminatory as folks in the USA, or elsewhere. As an African-American woman you've, unfortunately, been exposed to that. I think most Mexicans are totally unaware of the existence of large numbers of blacks in a couple of parts of the country - or about the use of African-origin slaves in Mexico in past history. You'll probably be a novelty, oddity in the colonia where you'll be staying. About safety, pay attention to the advice of the family and you should be just fine. Have a great visit!

Thanks so much for your response. I kind of expected the replies I got here. Actually, the most worried person of my family is my daughter-in-law. My sons are actually excited for me, because for the past years it's always been my dream to retire and live in Mexico. I do keep contact with 2 ex-pat groups, one in Oaxaca and the other in Cuernavaca. If by chance I move there and then start missing Americans, I know where there are plenty.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by sraserrano
Thanks so much for your response. I kind of expected the replies I got here. Actually, the most worried person of my family is my daughter-in-law. My sons are actually excited for me, because for the past years it's always been my dream to retire and live in Mexico. I do keep contact with 2 ex-pat groups, one in Oaxaca and the other in Cuernavaca. If by chance I move there and then start missing Americans, I know where there are plenty.
I used to live in Cuernavaca and GOMEXICO is correct. Just listen to your Mexican friends and everything will be fine.

One more thing, make sure you exchange some American dollars for pesos BEFORE you head to Mexico because the Mexican government now limits the amount of USDs someone can exchange.

Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:15 am

Our young teen daughter spend about a month in Guanajuato this past summer on a home stay studying spanish at the University. She had a terrific time, loved the city. She has traveled extensively with us. She never felt unsafe or ill at ease.

Mexico is a large country. Not all of it is like Ciudad Juarez.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.