Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Is Mexico tourism about to go over a cliff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Mexico tourism about to go over a cliff?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:10 am

I imagine that in six months time we will be able to look at the statistics but I will be shocked if tourist travel to MEX is not hit hard by the recent media coverage of the drug violence there. Coverage (often sensational, cursory and inaccurate) has been extensive, on both TV and in the written press. Just talking to friends, who aren't all that unsophisticated, many of them have stated they simply will head elsewhere, which is unfortunate. Many cannot differentiate between Juarez and CUN. We will travel to MEX and believe that unless you are in the narco-trade, or very unlucky, the risks are very low.

Nevertheless, its also inaccurate to downplay what has been a massive uptick in drug violence in MEX over the past few years and, indeed, it has spilled over to those not involved in the drug trade. The MEX paper cover this story daily. Bystanders have been killed, including a small number of tourists. Regarding the recent murders in ACA, in truth a few bodies were dumped (or killed there) right where hundreds of tourists go to party every night, on the mountain road near to Las Brisas where a number of clubs are located. That never happened years ago, neither were bodies unceremoniously dumped on the Costera in ACA as they are now. It is very sad for MEX and a drop in tourist arrivals will only aggravate the situation. Its also unclear if hotels cutting rates will bring back many North American tourists.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
Drug Violence Rains on Spring Break in Mexico

Bloomberg: Reports of drug-related gang violence are deterring even adventuresome college students.

What will become of Real World Juarez?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...ER9EXLU&pos=12
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Originally Posted by flyr16
Regarding the recent murders in ACA, in truth a few bodies were dumped (or killed there) right where hundreds of tourists go to party every night, on the mountain road near to Las Brisas where a number of clubs are located. That never happened years ago, neither were bodies unceremoniously dumped on the Costera in ACA as they are now.
The statement isn't accurate, from what I know from reading reports in the local Mexican/Acapulco media on events over the weekend.

The two bodies were on a somewhat isolated stretch of highway between Las Brisas and Puerto Marques - not an area "hundreds to to party every night." There are no businesses in the vicinity where the bodies had been dumped (after the persons were supposedly killed elsewhere)

Bodies aren't being "unceremoniously dumped" on the Costera in ACA . . . from what I know of the situation. The violence being referenced, almost exclusively, took place outside of Acapulco in the "county" areas and not where tourists (especially foreign tourists) are likely to be found.

Violence in the state of Guerrero has been high for many years. More people are killed in that vast expanse and mostly rural state of about 2.9 million yearly than are murdered in the metropolitan Chicago area (maybe 4 million people depending upon how one defines the area - but more than in Chicago proper, with about 2.4 million). And the murders aren't taking place, in any large number, in Acapulco (with its population of 1,000+), but, rather, in the rural areas and small towns.

Several years ago there were gunfights on Costera Miguel Aleman, also where the cliff divers perform (at midnight), and near some hotels; and heads severed from bodies were found on a beach or two. Nothing like that violence has been seen in Acapulco since (including this past weekend with the two bodies).

Tourist numbers - foreign tourists - dropped sharply last year mostly because of the H1N1 influenza and negative publicity - and in some instances because of the increasingly violent crime situation. Few regions of the country have been spared exposure and the continued - and justified - media coverage doesn't help in convincing people to come to Mexico, though most tourists probably visit places where risks would be minimal (Cancun being the principal foreign destination for Americans). Most violent situations never make the national media in either Mexico or the USA - it's often in the local Mexican papers (where they exist) where you'll learn of these things - and by word of mouth, and in the social media.

It's true, also, that given the option of wanting to visit Mexico but not knowing the language or how to learn what the actual current situation is at any given time and the prospect of visiting a different destination which may be considered less risky and more safe - the easier choice (of not visiting Mexico) is what people may understandably make.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:28 pm

We had relatives that went to CUN last year after the H1N1 scare started to subside. They booked an all inclusive hotel for about 70% off noramal rates. I believe their aifrare was under $150 A/I r/t fm JFK. Said the Hotel Zone was a ghost town. This was in October of last year, well after the H1N1 had sputtered out. But our local media here in the PNW has done several reports about the violence, and they mentioned what was going on in ACA. Made it sound like people were getting gunned down just blocks away from the tourist zones. In fact they mentioned that if people did decide to go to ACA, (for spring break) they should stay within a specific 4 block area. Just one look at hotel and package deals to ACA compared to CUN tells how desperate they are for tourists in ACA. PAC 10 Universities have all issued warnings about traveling to Mexico.

Last edited by toadman; Mar 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:09 pm

Regarding the bodies found near the nightclubs on the mountain road in ACA, it seems they were found near Brisas de Marques. That is the new "booming" area with substantial recent and very expensive developments. That road, during Spring Break, or Semana Santa, can be bumper to bumper in the evenings, though likely not at 5 in the morning. The rest of the story also is below:

A las 04:50 horas, en la Avenida Escénica, a la altura del Mirador de Brisas del Marqués, fueron localizados dos cuerpos más que se encontraban atados de manos y decapitados.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/665736.html

The bodies found on the Costera, this past weekend, and over the past months, have at times have their heads separated from their bodies. Unceremoniously.

Various media are already reporting on the expected tourism decline:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ge_travel+news

None of this is to say that the fears of many, who say they won't go anywhere in MEX are justified, as mentioned we plan to go. Yet, trying to convey the story that these events are not serious, aren't of much import either to MEX or to tourists, is not accurate. The pace of violence has exploded in MEX over the past year. Tourists are nearly never affected but the issue is certainly there.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Your information about Acapulco is not accurate, especially comments regarding geography, where clubs are located, where developments are, etc. No point in arguing back and forth, but such misinformation only serves to further confuse people looking for valid information. Have a great weekend, everyone.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
It went over a cliff a couple of years ago. I live in San Diego, visit Tijuana periodically (a major Mexican tourist destination), and can attest to the fact that it is practically a ghost town these days as far as tourism goes.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/19....html?hpt=Sbin
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
There are generaly 100+ murders in Oakland every year, a city of 400,000 so I am not really to afraid of my upcoming trip to Mexico. I am going to drive through the Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna border rather than crossing at Juarez.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:38 pm

We went to Cabo in fall of 2008 and found a great reason to go back (somebody is turning 50, group trip!) We aren't deterred by media reports. Partially because Cabo is very far from teh border, very far from mainland Mexico.

To many people, a report trouble in Mexico means trouble in ALL of Mexico. Some reports are not as specific in localizing the incidents, and sometimes the people just aren't understanding the size of Mexico.

Being uniformed as to where along the border the bad crap is happening, you could not convince me to cross by car just now. But, not something I was thinking about doing anyway! Tijuana has been on my NOT A CHANCE list for a bit now.

Tourism is sucko from violence, economy, swine flu. Staycation is going to be the thing for many Americans this year by necessity. We still have high unemployment/stagnant wages, while prices continue to increase. So given the fewer vacation dollars, high cost of air, it's not likely there will be much international travel this summer.

the violence will continue on and I only hope that innocents are spared.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:05 am

I suspect that for American tourists with no drug connections, the most dangerous part about a trip to Mexico is the risk of traffic accidents. Certainly this was the most scary part of my recent trip to Mexico, which included Mexico City, and, for that matter, the most scary part of my previous trip to Mexico. Actually, probably the most scary part of any trip to Mexico I have had, although when taking a long-distance bus from El Paso through Chihuahua into Zacatecas, I did find the military men with machine guns a bit unnerving now and then.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Narcos in Cancun?

For the record, let me say I have visited Mexico more than 20 times over the past 20 years, including a week with my family in February.

But just this week a conference I was scheduled to attend in Monterrey – until recently one of the safest cities in Mexico -- was cancelled after two Monterrey Tec graduate students were killed in a shootout between the Mexican army and narcos, at the gates of their university. And the Mexican press (El Norte of Monterrey) report that narcos have been able to stop all traffic on certain roads in the city more than 30 times, including running an 18-wheeler across a major highway.

Now, I had always thought that Cancun and Playa del Carmen were much safer than the rest of Mexico, at least from narcotics gangs. So today’s headlines are really worrisome. At the place in the state of Michoacan where narcos cut off and left the heads of four victims a sign says “Rufo, we know you are with your family at the Hotel Riu Palace in Cancun.”

Now, if the narcos start trying to hide in the big tourist hotels the violence among rival gangs, and gangs and the police, is going to have an immediate impact. But how can the hotels turn the narcos away? They will themselves immediately become targets and their business will fold. On the other hand if they do admit narcos (and what choice do they have?) their tourist clientele will promptly flee.

It is a very tough situation for all, but having narcotics gangs hiding out in five-star Cancun hotels is not a healthy sign for Mexico tourism.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:01 pm

GTO is becoming much too popular. It's my favorite place on earth. To Typical Tourist Types: There is no beach; winters are not tropical and sometimes not even warm; and there is lots of highbrow music. There is nothing for you here: only 300-year-old buildings, a huge, boring university and the dull goings-on that define college towns. In short, you wouldn't like it. Acapulco, Cabo, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta are much more suited to your tastes. There might be more crime, but consider this: If you are just a little careful, you will be safe. Look upon it as an adventure. There is no high life in GTO. You would hate it. Who needs all that history?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
I am looking forward to a trip to CUN this June. My wife is worried about safety considering all the reports on the news lately (although I don't believe I heard Cancun being mentioned once). Have you heard anything that is worth worrying about? We were planning to spend a longer vacation in Mexico (after our few days in Cancun) but that doesn't look like it'll happen.

It'll be me, my wife and our 3 year old.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
CUN is Florida in Mexico, very safe. The old city itself might be different (it seemed okay when I was there a few weeks ago) but there isn't much to see anyway. Enjoy the beach...
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:54 am

While the narco to narco violence and the narco vs. government violence is noteworthy, tourists are not a target of this violence. There is no drug cartel or gang waiting to ambush the average tourist.

I find Mexico remarkably safe. I ride my motorcycle there often. From Houston it takes about a day to ride to the border. Once I cross the border I just ride south to the many points of interest that are far off of the Gringo-beaten tourist path. There are lots of cool and adventurous things to do down there, and I find the people remarkably friendly and accommodating. I recently visited Parras de la Fuente, the oldest winery in the Americas is located there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.