Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Is Mexico tourism about to go over a cliff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They're now gunning town US consulate employees in Juarez.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/wo.../15juarez.html

Sure, not every place is Juarez, but the damage this is going to do to Mexico's image in the United States will be incalculable. The only hope is the media will downplay it as "just being Mexico."
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
I doubt the incidents in Juarez will cause much if any damage to tourism in Mexico - foreign tourism. The news from the border zone has been bad for the past couple of years, and this is just another example of how out of control that region of the country is. Who but persons having family in the area would want to visit, anyway? "Tourists" weren't victimized in this most recent incident. People driving into Mexico place themselves at risk, though.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by iahphx
They're now gunning town US consulate employees in Juarez.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/wo.../15juarez.html

Sure, not every place is Juarez, but the damage this is going to do to Mexico's image in the United States will be incalculable. The only hope is the media will downplay it as "just being Mexico."
Well when you add in the Acapulco area massacre this weekend -- during high-profile Spring Break time -- it's not looking good. Even though tourists were not targeted there, it still can frighten, especially those who might not read beyond the headlines.
And then there are those (above posters excluded!) who just hear "Mexico" and may write off the entire country.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Mar 15, 2010 at 6:26 am
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:52 pm

AAJetMan: maybe you should more fully explain what you're saying - when you post what may be misleading comments, or comments people unfamiliar with the area might misconstrue.

The incidents you attribute to having taken place in Acapulco didn't occur in the city nor anywhere near where tourists would travel to or through - except for two murders. "Acapulco" is a city as well as the equivalent of a large county in the USA - lots of square miles outside of the city of Acapulco.

That 2 murders took place in a city of over 1 million people isn't cause to run about yelling the sky is falling. Yes, there is a lot of violence in Mexico right now and people should continue to remain aware of what's going on in their destination cities.

Drug abusers in the USA might also seek help for their addictions - which would help to lessen the drug-related violence taking place in Mexico (because it's the cartels battling for distribution routes into the USA that are causing so much of this violence in Mexico).
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by gomexico
...The incidents you attribute to having taken place in Acapulco didn't occur in the city nor anywhere near where tourists would travel to or through - except for two murders. "Acapulco" is a city as well as the equivalent of a large county in the USA - lots of square miles outside of the city of Acapulco.
In hopes that nobody will misunderstand, I've elaborated by changing "Acapulco" to "Acapulco area".

Originally Posted by gomexico
That 2 murders took place in a city of over 1 million people isn't cause to run about yelling the sky is falling.
Two murders in themselves might not be classified as "sky is falling" events. A trend toward drug war-related executions, however (recall June 2009), can certainly cause alarm. At the very least, we would not want another crossfire event in Acapulco. There are far worse implications as well.

For now, I'm not sensing tourists being targeted, and thus wouldn't change my travel plans if I were planning to go to Aca (just returned last month, so it might be a few months before I return).
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It doesn't take much to make Americans avoid Mexico. Remember swine flu? There seems to be little doubt that the violence in the country is escalating.

Hardly any American tourists "have" to go to Mexico. There are many other sun destinations. I think it's going to be a rough few years for the tourist industry there, with is built almost exclusively on US tourists.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:24 pm

Our 19yo niece is heading back home next week to Mexico City after staying here 6 months studying English.

She doesn't want to go. The news reports have her scared and with the crime that has impacted her family and friends down there I can't say that I blame her.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:37 pm
In memoriam

Many years ago I traveled all over Mexico by thumb and bus. It was great--and safe.

IMHO, any North American who goes there now is nuts.

All the efforts to claim that tourists are not targeted, tourists areas are safe, etc. ring very hollow.

What's wrong with Costa Rica? @:-)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Many years ago I traveled all over Mexico by thumb and bus. It was great--and safe.

IMHO, any North American who goes there now is nuts.

All the efforts to claim that tourists are not targeted, tourists areas are safe, etc. ring very hollow.

What's wrong with Costa Rica? @:-)
Nuts? Is the risk REALLY that great?

Frankly, I thought the perception was significantly worse than the reality. Remember, most folks are going for vacation, and you can easily go elsewhere for vacation.

That said, it is now almost as cheap to fly to Costa Rica. Or Panama. I'm sure those places will attract some of the Mexico tourist crowd. Of course, the bigger winners are the Caribbean, Florida and Hawaii.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I don't have statistics to back it up but anecdotal evidence suggests to me that Mexico tourism has long since gone over a cliff? Maybe not nationwide but at least certain tourist areas are virtual ghost towns compared to bygone years.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Perception is reality to most people. And how the U.S. media is currently portraying Mexico is what will sway many to look else where to spend their tourist dollars. The footage on our local news last night with bullet riddled vehicles right next to the Mayors office in Ciudad does not make someone want to book a trip to Cabo or Cancun for a nice relaxing time. Besides there are still officially 8 million unemployed and unofficially 12 million unemployed in the U.S. So more family trips in the states this year.

It means some really good bargains for those willing to travel to Mexico.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I was in Leon, GTO just 2 weeks ago and I had absolutley zero issues. I went out at night drinking with some suppliers, ate lunches and even walked the streets next to the hotel during the day and evening.

Even ate tacos at 1am after leaving the bar !!

Of course, I do not walk into the colonias or barrios looking for "culture immersion" either !!

So, it is safe as long as you know where you are going.

Living next to Juarez, I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to go to that city.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I am sure Mexico toursim will suffer due to the violence, but it will not "go over the cliff" just yet.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:58 pm

Leon, Guanajuato

Leon, GTO is a surprisingly nice city, from my viewpoint. A large city with a rich history . . . and lots of leather products! The historic center of the city surprises many people - being so pleasant. I was in Leon about 13 months ago, for the state fair (a trip which also included San Miguel de Allende, Celaya, Queretaro and the D.F.).

Regarding media coverage of the recent violent incidents we're talking about here (in the USA press), and violence in Mexico in general: I think the matter is underplayed and not given the coverage it warrants, given the seriouness of the matter. Some folks always want to attack the messenger, and that's how I view media critics on this and most other issues.

Last edited by gomexico; Mar 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm Reason: Additional comments
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL GM
No. But stay away so prices will be lower and the traffic better for the rest of us. Go to Florida instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.