Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Finally uploaded pics of my stay at the W. http://www.flickr.com/photos/3063128...926362/detail/
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
What would you do? Early in or late out? Both?

All the nights I will be at the W can be booked under the current "free" night promo. I am in at 7 AM into HKG and out at 12:15 AM. Would you book the prior night for arrival or try and check-in early? Would you rely on the late 6 PM check-out or book a night cutting out early aroun 9 PM? Any comments appreciated. Is Elements open early to walk thru to W? The Conrad is also a option for my arrival to check-in regular time for a possible better upgrade. Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
All the nights I will be at the W can be booked under the current "free" night promo. I am in at 7 AM into HKG and out at 12:15 AM. Would you book the prior night for arrival or try and check-in early? Would you rely on the late 6 PM check-out or book a night cutting out early aroun 9 PM? Any comments appreciated. Is Elements open early to walk thru to W? The Conrad is also a option for my arrival to check-in regular time for a possible better upgrade. Thanks.
Elements has train stations, so I think it is accessible 24hrs. In your shoes, I would not waste a night for 8am check-in. This property popping up on starpicks, would mean they are not usually at capacity. If it were important for me to stay until 10pm, I would book a night, but it would still feel like a waste. With these hotels, one can usually go and use their spa to refresh. The lockers are large here and would hold a carry-on.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Is a 6 PM check-out a general hope for Ps? Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thank you. Is a 6 PM check-out a general hope for Ps? Thanks.
I had no difficulty getting a 6pm checkout at no charge.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:05 am

Thank you. Going conservative.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Also, this hotel is very well lit for a W and the design and music in the lobby and elevators are beautiful - however I can't say I'm a big fan of the wall hangings along the exterior (a bunch of painted tree logs strung together and hung up vertically), but maybe I just didn't get it.
Hehe i love reading FT because you get so many varied opinions.

I LOVE the "wall hangings" and the tree bark design scheme by G&A. So much so that I've actually contacted them to do some interior designing for my new apartment.

OTOH one of my quibbles about this otherwise perfect (IMO ) hotel is the fact that it's far too bright. A bit disconcerting especially when heavily hung over. Sadly the Ws seem to be going this way, like the W SF refurb. I much prefer a more dim and soothing scheme like W Union Sq or the Night Hotel NYC. It'd go SO well with the music they play in the hallways. In general, if it's bright enough to see lift buttons it's too bright! I'm also not such a big fan of the big flashing screens in the lift and behind the Welcome Desk - cute at first but quickly becomes irritating when the novelty is over.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by snufl
Finally uploaded pics of my stay at the W. http://www.flickr.com/photos/3063128...926362/detail/
Sexy! Ta for sharing! Looks like you got the Glamourous scheme. Ask for G&A next time - the design is much bolder and cooler IMO with a starker colour scheme.

Will be back in a couple of weeks - miss the place and can't wait, though sadly only a quick stopover this time.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:53 am

I'll be staying over the last weekend of July in Hong Kong and was considering redeeming points to stay at the W. Since I'm thinking pool time and fun around the hotel what is the scene like on the weekends? Any hotel-sponsored events, happy hours, etc. that are cool? What is the pool like on the weekends? Packed to the gills? Which night would be best? Friday? Saturday? Sunday? Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tfjim
I'll be staying over the last weekend of July in Hong Kong and was considering redeeming points to stay at the W. Since I'm thinking pool time and fun around the hotel what is the scene like on the weekends? Any hotel-sponsored events, happy hours, etc. that are cool? What is the pool like on the weekends? Packed to the gills? Which night would be best? Friday? Saturday? Sunday? Thanks.
Can't advise on the pool except last I checked they'd still not obtained a liquor license for the bar upstairs. IIRC you're able to get drinks sent up to you from the Living Room.

But I do love the Living Room action. A DJ spins in the Living Room Thurs-Sat nites and Sunday afternoons - gets pretty happening on some of these days. Can't remember specifically when DJ Angus is on - you want to look out for him. And special guest DJs from time to time.

They do have happy hour daily between 6 and 8pm. Can't remember prices off the top of my head due to one too many tipple whenever I hang out there. And special promos on certain days such as Wine-derlust Wednesdays, Candy Bar Thursdays (flavoured vodka shots) etc. Sunday brunch at Kitchen features All You Can Drink Perrier Jouet.

To keep track of special events, best to sign up to their official Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...8408870?ref=ts

Enjoy!!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
Can't advise on the pool except last I checked they'd still not obtained a liquor license for the bar upstairs. IIRC you're able to get drinks sent up to you from the Living Room.

But I do love the Living Room action. A DJ spins in the Living Room Thurs-Sat nites and Sunday afternoons - gets pretty happening on some of these days. Can't remember specifically when DJ Angus is on - you want to look out for him. And special guest DJs from time to time.....
Thanks for the info. I think I will shoot for that last Saturday in July night stay with a late Sunday checkout to maximize pool time on both days.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:50 pm

Report. July 2009

SIM: The FAs on my CX flight told me to get a SIM card at the 7-11. Upon exiting baggage claim this will be to your left. It was early so I approached the counter with my phone and asked for a SIM card. The price is $60 HKD and should be good for 240 minutes to the US. Now I have bought these things before and had a heck of a time getting them to work. So I asked her kindly to put in and she pushed some buttons. Now I could probably have done that but when I left it was working and that is all I cared about. I gave her $20 HKD with a smile. I insisted she keep it.

The card is provided by one2free. Inside was a $20 off coupon so I may try and use. To call abroad aka US dial 1718 then country code with number send. I have not been able to figure out how much is left but I will just run it down.

Please see my report below. Thanks.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Jul 11, 2009 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Will arrive later today. So will start here while my memory is good.
I will in W HK tomorrow,Did they offer you suite?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:05 pm

Will arrive later today. So will start here while my memory is good.

SIM: The FAs on my CX flight told me to get a SIM card at the 7-11. Upon exiting baggage claim this will be to your left. It was early so I approached the counter with my phone and asked for a SIM card. The price is $60 HKD and should be good for 240 minutes to the US. Now I have bought these things before and had a heck of a time getting them to work. So I asked her kindly to put in and she pushed some buttons. Now I could probably have done that but when I left it was working and that is all I cared about. I gave her $20 HKD with a smile. I insisted she keep it.

The card is provided by one2free. Inside was a $20 off coupon so I may try and use. To call abroad aka US dial 1718 then country code with number send. I have not been able to figure out how much is left but I will just run it down.

More later.
You can dial 179179 to check the balance. It's free in HK.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:25 pm

Not been to Hotel yet but hoping for a upgrade.

Tried that number but only in Chinese. The Lounge agents tried to reset but we will see. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.