W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Old Aug 14, 08, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Arrow W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Stay report on August 10

Arrival

the hotel entrance is located on South side of Elements Mall. It's not easy to find a way from Airport Express Kowloon Station. There's no sign to guide you to find a way, but you can try to find HMV shops first. That means you have to carry-on your own luggages all the way from Airport Express Kowloon Station to the W entrance. I suggest W Hong Kong should provide "Meet & Greet" service in Airport Express Kowloon Station, send a bellboy to station exits to greets guests. The same service provided in Four Season's Marunouchi Tokyo in Tokyo Station as well.

Check-in

Receptionist offered Spectacular Room for me but no upgrade to Suite. He explained that some suites still under contractions. In addition, the staff mentioned that W Hong Kong will not be able to offer Platinum benefits to SPG Platinum members at this moment due to some issues (ex: soft-opening and the room rate I paid is under promotion rate, system not connected with SPG worldwide yet..something like that..)

Room

Cool and Fashion design, but not impressiveness. If you looking for a nice Harbour view room in Kowloon area, I suggest you choose Sheraton Hong Kong or Peninsula or InterContinental.

Air condition system have some problem, I can hear the voice in action whole night long till 4am.

By the way, there's a "W TWO INTIMACY KIT" in your room, costs HKD$80 for your pleasure.

No welcome chocolate or letter in the room, only an green apple and 3 types of desserts in a plate delivered in the night.

No Sweet Dreams Pillow Menu or W Personalized Wake-up Service Menu offered as well.

Service

Overall, W Hong Kong provided warm and friendly attitude, but in my personal experience, ice bucket needs 10 minutes traveling time to your room. By the way, I asking Whatever/Whenever desk regarding the Visa information of China, one lady in night shift told me she prepared travel agency's address and print-out the visa application form for me, so I can get all documents in the morning, but when I went downs to the Whatever/Whenever desk, seems like the new staff have no idea what I am talking about. I explained both in English and Mandarin, and she make some calls and try to find out the documents for me. Finally, I have all information I want after 15 minutes investigation. (It's just an address/telephone number for one branch of China Travel Service in Tsim Sha Tsui)

Check-out

The guest relation manager Mr. Martin Camp greets me in the front desk, and we chatted about some issues I experienced in W Hong Kong. It's grate, but some details needs more attention in the future.

I am not good in writing English, so here's some pictures I took and hope some other guys can share your experience with W Hong Kong.

W Hong Kong @ August 10, 2008

Location map of W Hong Kong & Elements

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7654/96924508oo8.png

If anyone wanna arrange Limo transfer service from AEL (Airport Express) Kowloon Station to W Hong Kong, that means you just take a round from AEL Exits/Elements Mall's Ground Floor to Elements Mall's South drop-off entrance in 1st Floor. 3 minutes drive, I guess.

Last edited by MattTaiwan; Aug 14, 08 at 12:09 pm
Old Aug 14, 08, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thanks for the review WITH pictures!
Old Aug 14, 08, 1:19 pm
GIJ

Programs: SPG Plus, AC Elite
I love your pictures, thank you.
Old Aug 14, 08, 1:42 pm

Programs: MR/SPG LTPP; HH Gold; Hyatt Explorist; IHG PlatAmb; UA1KMM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I guess that's always the drawback for being the "first" customers. Even though as tempting as it seems to be, my past experience told me that I should stay away from any brand new hotel until 6-8 weeks after the opening to let them work out all the kinks...
Old Aug 14, 08, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Love the pictures!

Had a mid September reservation at W. But based on start-up issues and MattTaiwan's lukewarm trip report I decided to cancel it in favor of the Sheraton. Will try the W on my next visit to Hong Kong in December. Hopefully all opening kinks will have been ironed out.
Old Aug 14, 08, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
I have a 1 night stay in HK on the way back to NY in early Sept. Booked the W but now thinking maybe to change also. I havent been to the Sheraton before. The rate is almost half at the Sheraton (1500) as opposed to W at 2800.

Are there any opening specials at W ?

What about locations ? I have 1 day for a little sight seeing.

Last edited by TMOTEE; Aug 14, 08 at 2:47 pm
Old Aug 14, 08, 4:53 pm

WOW! Thanks for all the pictures! The hotel looks pretty nice, but the harbour view is disappointing

I think my favourite was the picture of all the Watsons water bottles (at Sweat?) with the labels peeled off and replaced with W stickers.

TMOTEE, if this is your first visit to Hong Kong, Sheraton is much more centrally located. If you splurge for a harbour view room, you'll get much better view than it seems you'll get at the W. While getting around from the W will be easy enough, the Sheraton is in the middle of Tsim Sha Tsui, which is one of the main tourist hubs.
Old Aug 14, 08, 9:56 pm

Some more photos here.
I stayed before August 10 actually.
Overall, yes there were some start-up matters
but overall I was quite satisfied with W Hong Kong.

W Hong Kong guest room (Day)
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994317

W Hong Kong guest room (Night)
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994781

W Hong Kong facilities (Pedicure Room, Rooftop Pool, etc)
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994474

W Hong Kong - Living Room Bar
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994815

W Hong Kong - Kitchen
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994875

W Hong Kong - Liquid Bar at Fire
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994928

W Hong Kong - Fire
http://blog.naver.com/kosmose7/90033994973

Last edited by Korean Guy; Aug 18, 08 at 2:47 am
Old Aug 14, 08, 10:10 pm

Programs: *wood Plat, PC Plat RA, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thank you for your pictures.
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Contacted with SPG guest service in Singapore and asking for PLATINUM 500 THANK YOU AMENITY, it posted to my account yesterday.
Old Aug 15, 08, 9:47 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, SPG Gold, Krisflyer, Accor A-Card Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold, QF Bronze
Thanks for the trip report. Nice pics too.
Old Aug 15, 08, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Thanks for your great photo report!

Looks like a great new W, but I think this report has cemented my decision to go ahead with the IC HKG instead, for the harbour view.
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:23 pm

I wonder if any taxi driver understands that there is a new W Hotel in Hong Kong.
Old Aug 15, 08, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HOKK View Post
I wonder if any taxi driver understands that there is a new W Hotel in Hong Kong.
4 times during my stays, all of the taxi drivers have no idea about W Hong Kong.
You have to explain hotel located in South Drop-off area on Nga Cheung Road’s flyover of Elements Mall. In Chinese will be "雅翔道往柯士甸道西之南側落客口".
Old Aug 29, 08, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
There are some more pictures and a brief description on my stay in my TR

Search this Thread