Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by Newman
I agree with most of the other comments.
The hotel was extremely generous apologizing and comping your entire stay.
And I hereby invite any Marriott/Sheraton/Ritz (or any of the 29 Marriott brands) staff member that wants to view either me or my better half, Mrs. Newman, naked for 2 seconds in exchange for a free 2-night stay to PM me. I'll take that deal any day, any time. The offer is for either one of us or both of us.
Makes no difference.

And if this staff member accidentally seeing you naked for a second or two is the only negative thing that happened to you in your 2-day stay,, then you did NOT have a "seriously terrible stay experience". A seriously terrible experience would be i.e. getting food poisoning from the hotel restaurant, or coming back to your room and finding your valuables have been stolen, or getting stuck in the hotel elevator for a few hours, etc......

Sounds to me like the OP got the deal of the decade.
If I were the general manager I would have given you an apology and a $25.00 food/beverage credit. Or perhaps, as another poster suggested, a few thousand Marriott rewards points for your 2 second inconvenience. NOTHING MORE.

What do you want? Stock ownership?

Newman

you're a dude. trust me when i tell you if OP is a woman, and traveling alone, there's a level of vulnerability at that moment that you just wouldn't understand.

i think she was fairly compensated, but that experience would be different for a woman.

also, OP, just curious, but am i right in i'm thinking this happened in china?

Last edited by karenkay; Oct 1, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Really poor form for a male staff member to enter the ladies showers without checking to see if it's occupied first. Especially in Asia, where it's the norm for folks to generally walk around nude in locker rooms.

That said, getting the stay comped is pretty fair imo.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pinniped
Generous compensation would have been to refund your entire stay.
Originally Posted by karenkay
i think she was fairly compensated
Originally Posted by swingaling
getting the stay comped is pretty fair imo.
Pretty much all of the above.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Question - if you're staying at the hotel, why didn't you shower in your room?
Does it really matter? They offer a locker room with shower facilities, and OP used it.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
If I were you I would not settle for less than six digits...
In my opinion such a ridiculous amount would only be realistic in US. I might be wrong, of course.
Where I come from OP could probably sue the employee and get rewarded a few thousand USD, if lucky. The offender might lose his job, of course.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
Fair compensation probably would have been an apology and a few thousand Marriott points or perhaps a comped meal.

Generous compensation would have been to refund your entire stay.

Sounds like this hotel was pretty generous. Good for them. If the situation with the maintenance person can be fixed with some type of procedural change, hopefully they'll do that.

I'd like to know the name of the hotel - it sounds like they are very responsive to even the most minor complaints and probably take care of their guests quite well. ^
agreed.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by stephaniemei

I had a seriously terrible stay experience with one of the property under Sheraton group last week in asia.

After workout in gym room, I went inside the lady gym bathroom for shower, there is no one inside there that moment. I placed my clothes on the bench, and just placed my shoes on the corridor.
During showering, I heard someone get inside, then I step out the shower room after bath, when I going to take my towel next to my clothes, I notice that the bathroom front door is way open, and there is a male staff standing inside the bathroom!! While I am naked!!
I have told him to leave while I rush back to the shower room, but he was still staying there for fixing the equipment inside the bathroom.

I reported to the hotel immediately, the room manager had came to me for apologize, and promise will educate their staff for the normal standard like "send a female staff inside the lay bathroom first", "knocking and ask if any guests inside".....
Then after I finished the survey online for compliant this seriously issue , the GM email me to offer refund my entire stay (2 nights, around US$120/night) as compensation, and thats all...
I would like to ask what is the fair compensation for this horrible mistake made by their staff.
Seriously I don't think you deserve anything and I think they were great to give you two nights free. Everywhere in the world may not be up to your standards and why should they be?
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I remember when something similar happened to me at the Sheraton in Berlin.

I was in my room drying myself off when cleaning lady just walked in made my bed and everything while i was naked. After the initial shock, I just got dressed while she cleaned up my mess.
pitflyer and Newman like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
One meeeeeeeeeelion points.
But that's worth less than six figures in dollar terms. Seriously, I think OP got more than generous compensation already.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Does it really matter? They offer a locker room with shower facilities, and OP used it.
If you're prudish, then showering in a public space is a poor choice when a private space - your room - is a minute away.
Newman and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I don't think anyone can conclude that this was about being prudish. I agree with the earlier poster, if this is a woman alone in a locker room naked, and a man walks in, then it is a vulnerable and potentially very scary situation.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by NJNY
I don't think anyone can conclude that this was about being prudish. I agree with the earlier poster, if this is a woman alone in a locker room naked, and a man walks in, then it is a vulnerable and potentially very scary situation.
Yes, which if you're worried about someone walking in, don't shower in the public area when you can take a minute and go to your room. What does the OP expect, female bodyguards to watch her back 24x7?

It's a locker room in presumably a large hotel in Asia, not her house or even her hotel room. People are going to walk in and out of these places whether someone is showering or not. Should they have sent a female employee in to see if the coast was clear? Sure, but either they didn't or they did but the employee didn't see the OP, since it sounds like the showers were set back from the locker room. That's why we want to know which property, since in many large facilities like this, there can be some distance between the showers and the locker room.

She got a couple of nights comped for a very minor incident which didn't harm her in any way. The maintenance guy was probably wondering why the foreign woman was yelling at him in a foreign language while running around naked in the locker room. Next time, bring your towel with you to the shower, which is the way most humans on the planet do it in public showers.

I don't think the #MeToo supporters will be interested in pressing her case.
Newman likes this.

Last edited by catocony; Oct 1, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by NJNY
I agree with this. OP doesn't go into any detail about this, but it doesn't even sound like the repairman apologised or made any move to back off even after OP asked him to leave. That alone would add significantly to the vulnerability / fear factor.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
@catocony - My comment was directed to your prior post: "if you are prudish then don't shower in a public place." I was suggesting this may have nothing to do with being prudish.

Why would you respond as you did? My post in no way offered a view on her compensation or #MeToo or anything else. It was simply a statement that we may assume it had less to do with him seeing her, than with the reaction of a woman alone (I think) in a locker room when a male staff member walks in.
karenkay, Mbuchanan and HollyGlen like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I remember when something similar happened to me at the Sheraton in Berlin.

I was in my room drying myself off when cleaning lady just walked in made my bed and everything while i was naked. After the initial shock, I just got dressed while she cleaned up my mess.
Usually you have to pay extra for that.

Originally Posted by catocony
If you're prudish, then showering in a public space is a poor choice when a private space - your room - is a minute away.
Unfortunately, every FT thread needs one pointless, nasty attack on the OP, and here it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.