Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Actually, by the OPs, statements, she walked in on the maintenance guy, since he was in the locker room and she was in the showers. Without a towel.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
ITT: a bunch of men making light of a woman's physical privacy violation. Not a good look, gentlemen. I suggest that OP is singularly equipped to decide if she was "harmed."
This 'bunch of men' nonsense... is well nonsense. Any individual can feel vulnerable or violated. It is not limited to one sex or the other.
When one works out in a public area, walks down the street, goes out to eat, there are risks. While it would be great if the world was a perfect place and no accidents occurred, no one is mugged or gets food poisoning, that is not reality. Life is full of risks. Every decision is risk/reward. Like it or not, there is a chance that if OP chooses to shower again in a public shower, or go to a hotel, or go to work, there is a risk someone will walk in, see something or do something. It is just reality.

As for this situation...
  1. OP's privacy was violated 100%.
  2. Seems accidental. Maintenance worker not leaving could be as simple as if I don't get this done, I will get fired. (And after the complaint, may well have been fired.) Assuming it was China, there are no worker rights. Get the job done or one of 100 other applicants will.
  3. Or maybe it was not accidental and the maintenance worker was a creep. We don't know.
  4. Comping the whole stay was very generous vs. what I would have thought the hotel would give you. (I have had worse than this and got considerably less; Someone barged into my room in the middle of the night and through their bags on the bed on top of me, all with the lights off. (Latch on the door did not work right.) THAT stays with you a long while. I got some points, a dinner voucher, and an apology. And they did not budge!)
  5. OP - let this go for your own good. If you keep fretting over it, it will only eat you up inside. I would suggest you think of it as an accident and do your best to forget about it.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
ITT: a bunch of men making light of a woman's physical privacy violation. Not a good look, gentlemen. I suggest that OP is singularly equipped to decide if she was "harmed."
She was not harmed. Period.

The hotel should have procedures that ensure guest privacy. It sounds like this hotel takes that seriously, as evidenced by the fact that the hotel offered very generous compensation and promised to follow-up with staff so the issue doesn't happen again. They've already exceeded expectations in my opinion, so not sure what more they can do.

Again, I'd like to know the name of the hotel. They sound responsive and caring for their guests. They read their surveys and follow-up on issues whether big or small. If I'm in whatever city it is, I'd certainly consider staying there.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by catocony
Kacee, you've attacked me in threads multiple times over the years. With that in mind, what's your point? The OP asked for feedback, so I gave it.
I don't recall other threads. I know that your comments here display an insensitivity and "blame the victim" mentality that I (and obviously others) find offensive. And not just one post, but a series of attacking posts. If you've done that in other threads, it likely sparked a similar reaction.

I'll add that I think OP has been a really good sport here. She asked whether people felt additional comp was due, the answer was "no," and she came back and thanked us for the feedback.
BearX220, karenkay, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Has nothing to do with establishing a look. I have had my genitals groped by two pervy airport security staff over the past few years and found this an unacceptable violation. I chose to shrug it off and get over it quickly as there was little point dwelling on it.

If the OP felt violated then she has my sympathy and I would urge her not dwell on it either. I have walked in on ladies using the toilet (who forgot to lock the door) mid flight and I am sure they got over it pretty quickly too.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Kacee, there was no victim here. At all. The reason I and others are posting is due to the sheer ridiculousness of this thread.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by catocony
If you're prudish, then showering in a public space is a poor choice when a private space - your room - is a minute away.
I don't see OP as being prudish. I think OP expected a level of privacy. I also think expecting male employee to NOT service a female locker room without checking for occupants first is not prudish. I think it's common freaking sense.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I stayed at the Altis Grand Hotel in Lisbon, Portugal in 2017. The housekeeper walked in my room while I was showering with the bathroom door closed. Unless she was deaf, there's no way she couldn't have known I was in the shower. She started to clean my room. I walk out of the bathroom, fully naked -- I had no idea she was in my room -- and saw her cleaning my room. I yelled, partly because I was startled. She left. I went back in the bathroom, closed the door and called down to the front desk, asking for the manager. While doing so, she came back in the room to continue cleaning.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I have a certificate for three nights (the duration of my original stay) at any Altis-branded hotel in Portugal.

I think the question comes down to how the staff member acted. If there was any hint of deviancy or sexual intent, then you are entitled to much more than a complimentary stay or a couple thousand points.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
horrible experience to go through but i believe the op has received fair compensation....
stephaniemei likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I imagine how my wife would feel versus how I would feel if this happened to either of us:

Happens to her: Intense vulnerability. Fear. She's petite and modest.
Me: I would probably have said, "Hey, I didn't order a pizza!" and then offered them compensation for what they saw.

There's no way that this is the same situation for men and women. None.

Having said that, I think the compensation was very fair. I noticed that the OP asked for advice, we gave it to her and, unlike many newbies who choose to stay and argue about why we are wrong, she took our advice, thanked us and moved on. She sounds pretty rational to me. Not sure about the rest of us, staying here to argue it.

Mike
thijsseh, wrp96, NJNY and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Newman
What do you want? Stock ownership?
The OP came on here to ask for opinions on what would be acceptable, as it is likely the OP had no clue what the "norm" is/was. She received several responses on what others here deemed as acceptable.
The OP from the start never stated what they thought they deserved.
stephaniemei likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll add that I think OP has been a really good sport here. She asked whether people felt additional comp was due, the answer was "no," and she came back and thanked us for the feedback.
Originally Posted by mikeef
I noticed that the OP asked for advice, we gave it to her and, unlike many newbies who choose to stay and argue about why we are wrong, she took our advice, thanked us and moved on. She sounds pretty rational to me. Not sure about the rest of us, staying here to argue it.
Agreed with both of you. I was thoroughly impressed with how StephanieMei handled all the responses and also came back with a reasonable explanation as to why she asked for compensation and what her standards are. She doesn't blame the person who saw her and instead is compassionate. Kudos StephanieMei (quoting her again just because we don't see this type of response too often here). On the other hand, I am surprised that this turned into a 4 pg discussion...!

Originally Posted by stephaniemei
Thank you for all sincere reply here. Then I should be happy for this compensation I think, if it is the best offer that you all think the generous compensation.

But I have to be clear that I am not mad about been seeing naked ( i do feel bad with it / him for sure), of-course i do know he didnt meant to be. But only about the service standard. I thought no ever a BNB homestay will made these kind of mistake. it is avout how the hotel to train their staff.
​​​​​​
stephaniemei likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

There's no way that this is the same situation for men and women. None.

When one purports to speak for all men... or all women... there is only one certainty... there is zero chance the statement is correct. None.

You have no idea how anyone else would feel but yourself.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I agree that this shouldn't have happened, the staff should have checked first with a member of the same sex. That said it is a good idea to point out that this a cultural thing: When you go to swimming halls in Scandinavia you'll frequently have janitors of the opposite sex cleaning the showers.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think any compensation is due. People walk around sauna/steam/pool shower and dressing rooms naked all the time. Nothing to see here (ha ha), move on. The comped stay is very generous, in my opinion.
Newman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.