Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by traveler18
How / When - were you notified of the Platinum Status?

I am currently Platinum - will not qualify on stays during 2018 for 2019, but have the $75K spend - I see nothing on the AMEX or SPG statements regarding status...
Please keep us posted. If this gives you another year of platinum, I will spend $75k on the card in 2019.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
I had previously accepted the "spend $X for Y points" offer before upgrading, so I am hoping that stacks together with the post-upgrade spending bonus...
My 15k points for this finally posted this morning, Happy New Year from AMEX
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
So will I be able to get the $300 again upon next account anniversary and cancel within 30 days of when annual fee hits to have the AF refunded ?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:00 pm

I have $50 left of the $300 reimbursement. Any ideas for how to use it if I am not going to stay at any properties? I was thinking that I could try a hotel bar or restaurant, and hope that it codes as a Marriott charge.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheFourthHorseman
I have $50 left of the $300 reimbursement. Any ideas for how to use it if I am not going to stay at any properties? I was thinking that I could try a hotel bar or restaurant, and hope that it codes as a Marriott charge.
Buying Marriott electronic gift cards works.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Newgene
Please keep us posted. If this gives you another year of platinum, I will spend $75k on the card in 2019.
I'm mulling this over too. I doubt that my wife will hit 50 nights in 2019, so for her to retain Plat this would be an alternative.

The problem is the opportunity cost. 75K spend on a 2% cashback card is $1500 in your pocket.

75K spend on the Lux card gives you 150K Marriott points (perhaps more if much of your spend is through Marriott, but that's not the case for me). I think Marriott points are worth about half a cent per point, so 150K Marriott points is equivalent to around $750 in value. That doesn't look as good as my cashback card or even my other points-earning cards.

My other question (and I can't find this answered anywhere): if you spend 75K on the Lux card and either (1) earn or (2) retain Marriott Plat, would you also then get a Marriott Choice Benefit? That would allow you to select 5 Suite Night Awards, for example. 5 SNAs has some value and levels the playing field somewhat compared to spend on my 2% cashback card, but I still don't think it entirely makes up the difference for the cash you are forgoing or the other types of points you could be earning.

So in my wife's case, she would retain Plat status with 75K Lux card spend. Does anyone know if she will earn a Choice Benefit this way?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'm mulling this over too. I doubt that my wife will hit 50 nights in 2019, so for her to retain Plat this would be an alternative.

The problem is the opportunity cost. 75K spend on a 2% cashback card is $1500 in your pocket.

75K spend on the Lux card gives you 150K Marriott points (perhaps more if much of your spend is through Marriott, but that's not the case for me). I think Marriott points are worth about half a cent per point, so 150K Marriott points is equivalent to around $750 in value. That doesn't look as good as my cashback card or even my other points-earning cards.

My other question (and I can't find this answered anywhere): if you spend 75K on the Lux card and either (1) earn or (2) retain Marriott Plat, would you also then get a Marriott Choice Benefit? That would allow you to select 5 Suite Night Awards, for example. 5 SNAs has some value and levels the playing field somewhat compared to spend on my 2% cashback card, but I still don't think it entirely makes up the difference for the cash you are forgoing or the other types of points you could be earning.

So in my wife's case, she would retain Plat status with 75K Lux card spend. Does anyone know if she will earn a Choice Benefit this way?
No choice benefit. You should consider whether it's possible to earn "50" nights via the 15 EQN and holding a meeting for 10 EQN. Holding a meeting is cheaper than the loss you incur spending 75K on the SPG vs a cash back card. If you still cannot hit 50 nights even with 25 given nearly for free, platinum status is probably not useful enough to you anyway.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:07 pm

Will a restaurant purchase at a Marriott property trigger the $300 credit if you aren't a hotel guest?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I upgraded to the SPG Luxury Card with the $5k/100k bonus several weeks ago. Two questions about that bonus:

1) Does the $5k target include purchases that were rebated by the $300 Marriott annual credit and various Amex promotional credits, or is the $5k figure net of these rebates?

2) How soon after reaching the $5k target do the points post? Past Amex signup offers seem to have posted quickly after hitting the target, not waiting until the next statement date (a la Chase).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Werty7777
The credit doesn't matter. 5K spend is all you need.
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I upgraded to the SPG Luxury Card with the $5k/100k bonus several weeks ago. Two questions about that bonus:

1) Does the $5k target include purchases that were rebated by the $300 Marriott annual credit and various Amex promotional credits, or is the $5k figure net of these rebates?

2) How soon after reaching the $5k target do the points post? Past Amex signup offers seem to have posted quickly after hitting the target, not waiting until the next statement date (a la Chase).
See above and mine posted in 3 days if memory serves me correctly.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:48 pm

LOL well I don't think I multi-quoted properly but it was discussed upthread. Search my username.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Free night at end of membership period, not at start

One thing I missed upon sign-up: you get the free night at the end of the membership year, not at the beginning. No real drama, but wasn't what I was expecting.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Ha ha, as if to spite me for posting about it here, Amex & MR not only a) posted the points to my MR account today but also b) back-dated the bonus to 3 days after I completed the spend.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So will I be able to get the $300 again upon next account anniversary and cancel within 30 days of when annual fee hits to have the AF refunded ?
It's likely they will reduce your membership fee refund by the amount you've spent

SOURCE: previous benefits on Amex
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
It's likely they will reduce your membership fee refund by the amount you've spent

SOURCE: previous benefits on Amex
They don't do that for travel credits. Is there a card you're thinking of where that did happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.