Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Stayed at the Courtyard Edinburgh for the past 2 nights on an award, as a Platinum, one person.

At check-in I was given the choice of 500 points per stay, or £7.50 in F&B credit per day, which (at current exchange rates) is slightly below US$10, but close.

Breakfast, if bought at check-in, is £10/day, so still cost me £2.50 which posted to the bill as a single £2.50 charge (not a charge + credit). If not purchased at check-in I think it's £15/day (might have been £12.50 - either way it was more).

Second day I was leaving before breakfast started (new years day, so they only started at 8am), so I asked about using 2x £7.50 to cover the first days £10 charge, but was told that they could NOT be pooled and had to be used on the day. So instead the second days went on a few drinks at the bar.

This of course goes against the Marriott post at https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55562 which states "SHORT VERSION - FREE Breakfast for Plats across all brands, except [a few things not relevant here]". I'm certainly not complaining against paying US$3, but it's still not "free".
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:33 pm

Hi All,

If I book 2 rooms for my family of 4 (2 in each room), would eI get free breakfast for all 4 of us or just me+1?
This is at a Sheraton, and I am using points. I am Platinum.

Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Hi All,

If I book 2 rooms for my family of 4 (2 in each room), would eI get free breakfast for all 4 of us or just me+1?

Thanks.
Technically, your elite status benefits are limited to the room you are physically staying in but the hotel would have to be a real stickler or jerk to deny you a second set of breakfast vouchers if you're paying for a second room. Of course, you never really know because there are plenty of pretentious front desks that look down upon guests who pay with points.

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental Le Grand Hotel in Paris using an annual free night that I get with the IHG-branded Chase Visa credit card. The front desk literally reminded me four times during check-in that I was on a "free stay," as if I should be grateful that they even let me in the front door.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 1, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by docbert
Stayed at the Courtyard Edinburgh for the past 2 nights on an award, as a Platinum, one person.

At check-in I was given the choice of 500 points per stay, or £7.50 in F&B credit per day, which (at current exchange rates) is slightly below US$10, but close.

Breakfast, if bought at check-in, is £10/day, so still cost me £2.50 which posted to the bill as a single £2.50 charge (not a charge + credit). If not purchased at check-in I think it's £15/day (might have been £12.50 - either way it was more).

Second day I was leaving before breakfast started (new years day, so they only started at 8am), so I asked about using 2x £7.50 to cover the first days £10 charge, but was told that they could NOT be pooled and had to be used on the day. So instead the second days went on a few drinks at the bar.

This of course goes against the Marriott post at https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55562 which states "SHORT VERSION - FREE Breakfast for Plats across all brands, except [a few things not relevant here]". I'm certainly not complaining against paying US$3, but it's still not "free".
When I stayed at a Courtyard in the States recently, it was made very clear at check-in that the $10 per day benefit reset at 4 p.m. every day after check-in, NO pooling; it was also emphasized that it was a one-time use, so that I would be best off making sure that my purchase using the credit was $10 or more. I believe the example he gave was buying a $2 candy bar, so that the remaining $8 was then gone forever.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
When I stayed at a Courtyard in the States recently, it was made very clear at check-in that the $10 per day benefit reset at 4 p.m. every day after check-in, NO pooling; it was also emphasized that it was a one-time use, so that I would be best off making sure that my purchase using the credit was $10 or more. I believe the example he gave was buying a $2 candy bar, so that the remaining $8 was then gone forever.
WHAT? That is crazy? No pooling? That's such a trick...it's actually a negative benefit since it costs elites money instead of saving them money. Not a perk in my opinion and hoping that is not the standard, but just that hotel. Sounds like another poster had a similar experience, too
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Technically, your elite status benefits are limited to the room you are physically staying in but the hotel would have to be a real stickler or jerk to deny you a second set of breakfast vouchers if you're paying for a second room. Of course, you never really know because there are plenty of pretentious front desks that look down upon guests who pay with points.

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental Le Grand Hotel in Paris using an annual free night that I get with the IHG-branded Chase Visa credit card. The front desk literally reminded me four times during check-in that I was on a "free stay," as if I should be grateful that they even let me in the front door.
Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
The new breakfast benefit needs some serious harmonization across the portfolios (at least by brand tier). It is so inconsistent as to not have any idea what you are going to get without checking each individual property. I've been left both happy and incredibly frustrated over the past few stays (all of the below have been over the past week):

Sheraton Columbia: Lounge was closed so was given breakfast vouchers for the restaurant. Good buffet - very satisfied.
Marriott Philadelphia: Lounge is closed on weekends, and no breakfast benefit is given! You get 1000 piddling points (or the $10 F&B credit). I looked at the T&Cs and, lo and behold, this and about sixteen other hotels are referenced by name as not needing to provide breakfast. What?! What's the point of having a brand standard if apparently properties can just decide not to participate?
Renaissance Cincinnati: Super impressed with the stay overall. Was given a voucher for breakfast. We could select any single item on the menu. Very satisfied!
Sheraton Memphis: Lounge was apparently open, but when I asked about the breakfast offering, the check-in agent quickly said "oh, I'll give you vouchers if you want more options.." and gave me vouchers to the restaurant. It was very odd (does that imply that the lounge did not really have breakfast? should I have gotten the breakfast vouchers, or was the check-in agent just being nice)? Very befuddling.
Saint Hotel (Autograph Collection) New Orleans - Somewhat disappointed/confused. You are allowed to pick three options from the breakfast menu - including one that costs $19 - but no other options. And there is a $0 credit if you go with anything other than the three options provided. The buffet only costs $20, but you get $0 even though you have three options (priced $14, 16, and $19). This is very frustrating as I wanted the buffet and every other property I've stayed at allows an upgrade to the buffet with some credit given to the voucher. I ended up skipping breakfast out of frustration (which is kind of silly because the $20 buffet was actually a good deal for what you got).

All in all it is disappointing that "what's the deal with breakfast?" is now a question I have to ask every time I check in - as there is no consistency across brands over how to get breakfast. Many times if I had not asked I would not have gotten vouchers at all and would have been left trying to enter a closed lounge (I guess they default to points unless you ask?).

edit: updated to Marriott Philadelphia rather than Sheraton

Last edited by ethernal; Jan 2, 2019 at 3:53 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Hi All,

Thanks.
no. per rules, only one. BUT usually if you push they will give you
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sheraton Philadelphia: Lounge is closed on weekends, and no breakfast benefit is given! You get 1000 piddling points (or the $10 F&B credit). I looked at the T&Cs and, lo and behold, this and about sixteen other hotels are referenced by name as not needing to provide breakfast. What?! What's the point of having a brand standard if apparently properties can just decide not to participate?
Oh no! Another Marriott enhancement.

I remember when Starwood announced with much fanfare that all the Sheraton lounges would be open (and serviced) on weekends.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:07 pm

@ margarita girl : but what you expecting - this is mormon company.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Oh no! Another Marriott enhancement.

I remember when Starwood announced with much fanfare that all the Sheraton lounges would be open (and serviced) on weekends.
The points instead of breakfast when lounge is closed for those named properties has been in the T&C for a while. Addition of any SPG properties is new, of course.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HHQX888
@ margarita girl : but what you expecting - this is mormon company.
But I'm not! I'll bet >95% of the guests staying there aren't Mormon.

What does that have to do with anything? Just cuz I'm going to their house (instead of them coming to mine), are there new rules I have to abide by?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sheraton Philadelphia: Lounge is closed on weekends, and no breakfast benefit is given! You get 1000 piddling points (or the $10 F&B credit). I looked at the T&Cs and, lo and behold, this and about sixteen other hotels are referenced by name as not needing to provide breakfast. What?! What's the point of having a brand standard if apparently properties can just decide not to participate?
ethernal,

Perhaps you mean the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, not the Sheraton Philadelphia? (If it was a Sheraton in Philadelphia, was it University City or Society Hill?)

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown is one of 20 hotels that are currently excluded in the Terms & Conditions from having to provide an alternative Platinum Elite breakfast is the lounge is closed. As far as I'm concerned, that's a list of 20 hotels to avoid.

At Sheraton, Le Méridien, and Westin hotels with lounges, there is no alternative breakfast for Platinum Elite guests if the lounge is closed. However, daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option is a separate benefit.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

The points instead of breakfast when lounge is closed for those named properties has been in the T&C for a while. Addition of any SPG properties is new, of course.
It's just very frustrating that I have to check the T&Cs to know whether I will get a breakfast benefit. It's already confusing enough with the different offerings at all the different brands, but then to have within brand - at a very standard full service hotel (i.e., not a boutique resort or something) - not be held to that commitment is just odd.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
ethernal,

Perhaps you mean the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, not the Sheraton Philadelphia? (If it was a Sheraton in Philadelphia, was it University City or Society Hill?)

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown is one of 20 hotels that are currently excluded in the Terms & Conditions from having to provide an alternative Platinum Elite breakfast is the lounge is closed. As far as I'm concerned, that's a list of 20 hotels to avoid.

At Sheraton, Le Méridien, and Westin hotels with lounges, there is no alternative breakfast for Platinum Elite guests if the lounge is closed. However, daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option is a separate benefit.
Apologies, it was a Marriott. Not sure why I posted Sheraton (maybe the carpet reminded me of a Sheraton ).
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.