Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by southernmom
I just sent a direct tweet to MR about the breakfast issue. I will let you know what their answe is, if I get one. I wonder if we would get a better answer if we tweeted our concerns?
I would try email: Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by Michilander
I am holding a 5 night award stay in October.
I also have a 5 night award stay in October.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I was finally able to obtain a 7 night award for next June. It seemed like there is a lot of availability, but when you click through it disappears. Or least it did for 20 or so dates that I checked. I finally called Marriott reservations and they made the award reservation for my preferred dates without problem.

Looks my grand Italian vacation is on for next June. Three or weeks or so in Rome, Florence and Venice. All on points, Will be burning a lot points for travel packages prior to August 1st.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, National Executive Elite
I finally received an answer re: breakfast. They originally responded with a breakfast buffet so I asked if this was the full breakfast or the continental breakfast and this was their response:

we can guarantee the full Buffet.

Assuring of our best attention and care at all times, we remain

Sincerely yours

Reception

I will be staying at the end of the month and will let you know what happens.
jtwiz likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:13 am
Community Director Emerita

Most of the thread is discussion of breakfast. How is the hotel? the rooms? the location?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Most of the thread is discussion of breakfast. How is the hotel? the rooms? the location?
NDTraveler did a review (upgrade to room with balcony,.etc.) but as the hotel is relatively new to Marriott, I don't think many FTers have personally been there yet. I will be there in September and will write a full review. I have been reading the reviews on TA, which are generally good - much better than before the hotel became part of Autograph Collection.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
This is a classy place! Good location, close to main station and cathedral. If you can score a room on the top floor with a terrace and cathedral view.- perfect!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:47 am

I am here right now. My wife and I are having a great time. Upgrade to a terrace room, as was already mentioned. The premium rooms are spacious for Florence. The location is great, as it is only a short walk to Santa Maria Novella and then on to the other tourist attractions. They have a courtesy shuttle that will also drive you to any of the tourist spots you like. We have used it for the last four days and have only had to wait at most 5 minutes for it. Elite status gave us full breakfast buffet (no mention of upcharge, though maybe that will be on the final bill). The staff is friendly and willing to assist with any needs you may have. Parking is $40 euro a night but there is a private garage a 6-minute walk away that charges only $20euro for 24 hour (Garage Florentia Via Ponte alle Mosse 45/A. Car rental companies are about 2 minute walk away and although sitting with the ZTL, it is an easy drive to the hotel to pick up your passengers and then out of the ZTL. Still here for two days, so ask me anything you like. PS - B.ICE Gelateria is a stone's throw away and has some of the best gelato I have had yet.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:05 pm

The Sina Villa Medici was the ideal hotel for us in Florence – it was an oasis of calm elegance after a day of sight-seeing! Platinum Premier benefits were described in detail at check-in (complimentary breakfast buffet daily, plus points or a $10 Food and Beverage coupon.) I was upgraded to a lovely corner room with a pool-view terrace. As I was there on a Reward stay, the upgrade was really appreciated.

Overall the hotel is quite beautiful, from the lobby to the breakfast room to the outside patio overlooking the pool. But for us, the best part was our room. The hardwood floors, the efficient and very updated bathroom, the furnishings – all of it was truly excellent. One minor point, the mattress on our bed was quite hard, which my husband loved. Me, not as much! But our room was very quiet, the drapes kept it dark so in the end I slept just fine at the Sina.

I liked that there were separate closet areas with lots of hangers and drawers. So even without a dresser, we had plenty of room to store things. The mini-bar fridge had enough room for us to store a few things of our own, which was nice.

The bathroom was completely updated with plenty of room. We both really loved the shower and the fluffy towels! And our room was spotlessly clean, every day.

We were at the hotel for 5 days, using the breakfast buffet daily. It was wonderful: fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, fruits, cereal, yogurts, vegetables, meats, cheeses, juices and prosecco. There was also a section with some wrapped gluten-free items. One wish, maybe a small variant each day on the buffet. It really was the exact same buffet every day. There was definitely no upcharge for Platinums, the entire buffet was available.

We also stopped by the Lobby Bar for a glass of wine (or two) several nights during our stay. They have a happy hour special from 6 to 7 PM, buy 2 glasses of wine and get the 3rd for free!

We found plenty of good restaurants close by for dinner on nights when we didn’t feel like wandering too far, but in the end, Florence isn’t that large. So while the Sina is slightly out of the city center, it doesn’t take too long to get where you need to be.

I agree with Dan Jordan above, B.ICE has great gelato - loved stopping by on our way home at night.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Of the three Autograph Collection hotels (Grand Hotel dei Dogi in Venice and Palazzo Naiadi in Rome) we stayed in while in Italy, this was our favorite by far. Just the right amount of service without being over the top, just the right amount of elegance without feeling out of place in our sight-seeing clothes after some long, hot days.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by jtwiz
The Sina Villa Medici was the ideal hotel for us in Florence – it was an oasis of calm elegance after a day of sight-seeing! Platinum Premier benefits were described in detail at check-in (complimentary breakfast buffet daily, plus points or a $10 Food and Beverage coupon.) I was upgraded to a lovely corner room with a pool-view terrace. As I was there on a Reward stay, the upgrade was really appreciated.

Overall the hotel is quite beautiful, from the lobby to the breakfast room to the outside patio overlooking the pool. But for us, the best part was our room. The hardwood floors, the efficient and very updated bathroom, the furnishings – all of it was truly excellent. One minor point, the mattress on our bed was quite hard, which my husband loved. Me, not as much! But our room was very quiet, the drapes kept it dark so in the end I slept just fine at the Sina.

I liked that there were separate closet areas with lots of hangers and drawers. So even without a dresser, we had plenty of room to store things. The mini-bar fridge had enough room for us to store a few things of our own, which was nice.

The bathroom was completely updated with plenty of room. We both really loved the shower and the fluffy towels! And our room was spotlessly clean, every day.

We were at the hotel for 5 days, using the breakfast buffet daily. It was wonderful: fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, fruits, cereal, yogurts, vegetables, meats, cheeses, juices and prosecco. There was also a section with some wrapped gluten-free items. One wish, maybe a small variant each day on the buffet. It really was the exact same buffet every day. There was definitely no upcharge for Platinums, the entire buffet was available.

We also stopped by the Lobby Bar for a glass of wine (or two) several nights during our stay. They have a happy hour special from 6 to 7 PM, buy 2 glasses of wine and get the 3rd for free!

We found plenty of good restaurants close by for dinner on nights when we didn’t feel like wandering too far, but in the end, Florence isn’t that large. So while the Sina is slightly out of the city center, it doesn’t take too long to get where you need to be.

I agree with Dan Jordan above, B.ICE has great gelato - loved stopping by on our way home at night.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Of the three Autograph Collection hotels (Grand Hotel dei Dogi in Venice and Palazzo Naiadi in Rome) we stayed in while in Italy, this was our favorite by far. Just the right amount of service without being over the top, just the right amount of elegance without feeling out of place in our sight-seeing clothes after some long, hot days.
How is the Dogi in Venice and Naiadi in Rome? Have a Christmas trip to Italy and still undecided on hotels...
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:32 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
How is the Dogi in Venice and Naiadi in Rome? Have a Christmas trip to Italy and still undecided on hotels...
Here are relevant threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ice-italy.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ome-italy.html
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I did a review on here of the Dogi in Venice, if you go to the link SD1K provided. Bottom line, loved Cannaregio, the hotel and service were fine, our room was really just okay.

I haven't done a review on FT of the Palazzao Naiadi yet. I did do one on TA. I am of mixed mind on the hotel. They left a bad taste in my mouth over how they handled my SNAs and there were a few housekeeping issues as well. With that being said, I would likely stay there again.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

I had a 2-night stay here a couple weeks back. Personally I thought the hotel was adequate, but wouldn't rush to call it a 5* - more like a competent 4*.

Plusses:
* Room was very large (premium room)
* Good redemption opportunity at 50k points, at least compared to paid rates
* Service was good from some (but indifferent from others)

Minuses:
* Would have preferred a more central location
* Quality of breakfast was mediocre
* Old style key with a very heavy key ring - nuisance to carry around
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by stargold
I had a 2-night stay here a couple weeks back. Personally I thought the hotel was adequate, but wouldn't rush to call it a 5* - more like a competent 4*.

Plusses:
* Room was very large (premium room)
* Good redemption opportunity at 50k points, at least compared to paid rates
* Service was good from some (but indifferent from others)

Minuses:
* Would have preferred a more central location
* Quality of breakfast was mediocre
* Old style key with a very heavy key ring - nuisance to carry around
I recently stayed here for 5 nights. Overall a very nice stay....received a top floor premium room upgrade with huge terrace which was nice. We had very good luck with the service....everyone was welcoming and did everything they could to make our stay great. I thought overall the breakfast had a number of choices that could fit most folks. I never went away hungry ;-). It was a 15 minute or so walk from central Florence but I was ok with that as I wanted to get my steps in! I do agree about the key...while kind cool and ornate it was heavy and bulky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.