Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

Opening September 2017. Cat 8.

Villa Medici luxury hotel in Florence with swimming pool

The Sina Villa Medici is a 18th-century historic building, situated where “Sant'Anna sul Prato” a former monastery in the area of Prato once stood. The area is a large open space in the western part of the historical centre of Florence, which has been used as a space for entertainment and walking since the mid-sixteenth century. The monastery was demolished after the Napoleonic suppression and the Palazzo de-Renzis Sonnino was built in its place, now the Sina Villa Medici, designed by the then young architect Luigi Cambray Digny.

In 1958 the founder of the Sina Hotels group, Count Ernesto Bocca stopped to admire the building’s nineteenth façade and decided to buy the historic home to preserve and pass on the old art of hospitality. Once carefully restored and equipped with all modern comforts, the palace became an exclusive five-star hotel, the first of the Sina Hotels group and a landmark for international royalty, aristocrats and celebrities such as the Shah of Persia and Farah Diba.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 27, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So, is the building from the 18th century or the 19th century?

Regardless, this is a re-flagging of the Grand Hotel Villa Medici, which is part of the Leading Hotels of the World. The hotel's website (which, by the way, contradicts Marriott and says it's a 19th century building) claims it underwent a 9-month "refurbishment" to give the hotel a "new and resplendent look" prior to re-flagging with the Autograph Collection.

Also, the hotel classifies itself as a 5-star hotel. In Italy, legal requirements of a 5-star hotel include:

Five-star hotels: reception must be open 24 hours a day and must offer at least 3 foreign language capabilities; single rooms must be of at least 9 square meters and double of at least 16 square meters.
Source: https://hotellaw.jmbm.com/hotel_lawy..._rating_s.html
This might be a real nice choice. I'm sure it will be category 8 or 9.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Looks doubtful this will open September 2017 after all.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

This might be a real nice choice. I'm sure it will be category 8 or 9.
Website now showing Cat 8. Also the photos look nice.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Bookable now
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
damn, wish i knew about this - i have a stay in florence tomorrow for 3 days and it's too late to cancel now, and unavailable for a points booking. Staying at the AC firenze instead.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any trip reports or recent stay experiences?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:20 am

Was very pleased to see a Marriott option in Florence. Looks good and we booked 5 nights with points for Sept. 2018.
Will also be interested in reports on this prop. but at this point we are locked in as it is the only Marriott 'game in town'.
We were originally going to stay at the JW (island) resort in Venice for 5 nights but were dissuaded by the lukewarm reviews particularly for Platinum 'treatment'.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by shoelessj
Was very pleased to see a Marriott option in Florence. Looks good and we booked 5 nights with points for Sept. 2018.
Will also be interested in reports on this prop. but at this point we are locked in as it is the only Marriott 'game in town'.
We were originally going to stay at the JW (island) resort in Venice for 5 nights but were dissuaded by the lukewarm reviews particularly for Platinum 'treatment'.
Is Venice even worth visiting? There are so many charming places in Italy to see and experience. Venice seems to have been invaded by cruise ships.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is Venice even worth visiting? There are so many charming places in Italy to see and experience. Venice seems to have been invaded by cruise ships.
That is pretty much our thought. Five days there seemed complete overkill so we will spend a day and a half and then leave on our cruise. We will spend five nights in Florence.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Venice is amazing! My favorite place in the world. Maybe try November whent here are less tourists.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:05 am
Suspended

Has anyone stayed here?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
No, but we have booked 5 nights using points for September 2018! The reviews on TA look good. I am hoping more information becomes available here as other Marriott Reward members stay there. On the Venice discussion above, we have a 4-night paid stay booked for the Boscolo immediately preceding this stay. It gets good, but somewhat mixed reviews. I am not totally convinced it is the right choice for us, I may look elsewhere. We end at the Boscolo Exedra Roma for 5 nights, also on points and sounds absolutely fabulous!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I read a recent review of this hotel on TA and saw that a MR Plat was offered 750 points daily instead of breakfast. I emailed the hotel today and got confirmation that is the case. So No Lounge, No Breakfast, just 750 points per day. Very disappointing as the breakfast buffet is 36 Euros per person!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Read again - it says INSTEAD
You have an option of breakfast or 750 points, you can’t have both but certainly you can choose breakfast at Auto Col and if you need points there’s the PAG

Originally Posted by jtwiz
I read a recent review of this hotel on TA and saw that a MR Plat was offered 750 points daily instead of breakfast. I emailed the hotel today and got confirmation that is the case. So No Lounge, No Breakfast, just 750 points per day. Very disappointing as the breakfast buffet is 36 Euros per person!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.