Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Explosions at Jakarta JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton Reported

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Explosions at Jakarta JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton Reported

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
sad....hope everyones okay

Last edited by mrx900; Jul 17, 2009 at 12:10 am Reason: ..
Old Jul 17, 2009, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
MI added a line to the earlier release, see below

For guest information, please contact the Marriott Family Assistance Hotline at 866/211-4610 or 402/390-3265.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 4:56 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Death toll now at 9,,,,,,

Old Jul 17, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Jen Leo of LA Times Daily Travel and Deal Blog has a piece on how to use Twitter for Jakarta Hotels bombing info.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...l-blasts-4926/
Old Jul 17, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I have been staying there all week.
Just after 7.45 the bomb blast woke me up and the building shook, I looked out the window and there was alot of smoke rising.
I was staying on the 28th floor, so quickly put some shorts and t shirt on and walked up the one flight to the exec lounge.

After about 5 mins was told to evacuate. the lifts were really busy so advised to walk down the stairs.

Ended up outside at the back of the hotel.. most the staff and what few guests were staying were already there.

After a few hours was advised the Oakwood club lounge accross the road was available for us to use.

Was moved to the shangri-la about 3.30PM

Awaiting my luggage, passport, money and everything else, not sure what time to expect it.

The hotel was overbooked on wed night as i heard people being turned away with reservations when i was at reception. But last night it was pretty quiet there and alot were checking out today. I think only about 50 guests were transfered here to the Shangri la.

Again luckily being the start of a weekend The JW here does tend to empty.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by stanontour
Just after 7.45 the bomb blast woke me up and the building shook, I looked out the window and there was alot of smoke rising.
I was staying on the 28th floor, so quickly put some shorts and t shirt on and walked up the one flight to the exec lounge.

After about 5 mins was told to evacuate. the lifts were really busy so advised to walk down the stairs.

Ended up outside at the back of the hotel.. most the staff and what few guests were staying were already there.

After a few hours was advised the Oakwood club lounge accross the road was available for us to use.

Was moved to the shangri-la about 3.30PM

Awaiting my luggage, passport, money and everything else, not sure what time to expect it.

The hotel was overbooked on wed night as i heard people being turned away with reservations when i was at reception. But last night it was pretty quiet there and alot were checking out today. I think only about 50 guests were transfered here to the Shangri la.

Again luckily being the start of a weekend The JW here does tend to empty.

Glad to know a fellow FTer is safe if not rattled. Just listening to head of Marriott security (Alan Orloff) on CNN who was staying at the Ritz. He spoke of high levels of security that were in place at both properties, including x-ray and sniffer machines used on guest's luggage. Can you verify what your check-in/security experience was like?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by Shareholder
high levels of security that were in place at both properties, including x-ray and sniffer machines used on guest's luggage.
I stay frequently at the JW. Those certainly are in place, in addition to airport style metal detectors, a metal/concrete shed where cars are checked, followed by heavy metal barriers. Probably bomb sniffing dogs as well, although I may be confusing those with Manila hotels.

You can't get within about 100m of the hotel main entrance doors with a car since the first bombing.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:43 am

First let me say that stanontour got out with what is important: ie his life. At the risk of sounding snarky, ever since a middle-of-the-night fire alarm in Sacramento, I always keep everything important (passport, wallet, keys, phone, etc) together by the bedside in case I have to make an unexpected departure.

Presumably, my legs aren't as nice as stanontour's so I always keep a pair of long pants slung over the chair as well .

When on a plane, if I'm in F or C and the FA takes my coat, I always make sure I have my passport/wallet with me as well, in case of an emergency evacuation. Luckily, I've never had that happen.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. An attack like this is an attack on all of us who travel freely, whether for business or pleasure.

Last edited by sfpaul900; Jul 17, 2009 at 7:48 am Reason: add quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by kevino

I stayed at the JW a month before the last bombing. It is a stunning hotel. It really stands out from a distance.
I was supposed to go last month. Too bad that trip got cancelled. It'll probably be awhile before I can go.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:09 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfpaul900
I always keep everything important (passport, wallet, keys, phone, etc) together by the bedside in case I have to make an unexpected departure.

Presumably, my legs aren't as nice as stanontour's so I always keep a pair of long pants slung over the chair as well .

When on a plane, if I'm in F or C and the FA takes my coat, I always make sure I have my passport/wallet with me as well, in case of an emergency evacuation. Luckily, I've never had that happen.

Good suggestions for everyone. The key one is to know your evac route.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Glad to know a fellow FTer is safe if not rattled.

+1 ^
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
UPDATED: Statement Related to Jakarta Explosion

17 July 2009, 6:30 AM Eastern time

Marriott Communications
+1 (301) 380-7770

Bethesda, MD - 17 July 2009 -
Our deepest sympathies go out to the victims of the tragic bombings that took place earlier today in Jakarta, Indonesia. Immediately following the incident, police and hotel security responded and sealed off the area. Our guests at both properties were evacuated and moved to other nearby hotels. Injured guests and hotel employees were taken to the hospital for treatment. Both hotels sustained damage, but it does not appear to be structural. At the time of the incident, extensive security procedures were in place at the Ritz-Carlton and the JW Marriott. We continue to work closely with the authorities and hope to reopen the hotels soon. As always, the safety and security of our guests and associates is our top priority.

For guest information, please contact the Marriott Family Assistance Hotline at 866/211-4610 or 402/390-3265.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I think if I had been checking out that day like alot of the other guests I would have def took my passport and carry on bag with me. the main suitcase could have stayed there and been forwarded at a later date

There were quite a few people who were checking out with flights that evening who did not take their passports! Not sure what happened to them.

My luggage arrived at the shangri la about 8pm, and the safety box contents soon after.

As for the security. It is really good there. They do check vehicles visually and with a hand held device.

Just about to check out of the shangri la now so not sure how to pay the JW for the last week. soon will find out i guess
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I was suppose to be there today (for meetings on Monday). Stayed in SIN Marriott after everything happened in JKT

Off to BKK now(JW on Sukhumvit) at the end of the week, then home....Sad....be wary/vigilant of any travel (even DPS), to Indonesia....
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Only speaking for myself .. but, this is why I refrain from going to some places that I really would like to visit.

This may also be linked to the recent democratic elections over there where the ruling party apparently won by a landslide.
Oh well. I will be in Jakarta and couldn't think better time to visit the city.

I just don't get why they are referring JW as a luxury hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.