Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There was a thread on this a few months ago. Several of us got a similar program to earn PLT back, and Marriott got extra stays from me over the last 2 months.

This shows what a smart marketing program can do, actually looking at your purchasing patterns and offering nearly-real time incentives. I've gone from 10 yrs of 150K miles/yr to 30K on USAir and didn't hear a peep.

btw, I had MR keep me at PLT several years ago when I was 4 nights short, and they have done so for co-workers too. The unofficial word I hear is that you need to be within 5 nights and need to request the comp - it's not automatic.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
"Congratulations, you've requalified for Platinum"

Logged in today just to see how many nights I was short of re-qualifying for Platinum. I have 71 nights to date, with no reservations made (or planned) between now and January 1st. Much to my delight, a message on the homescreen congratulated me on re-qualifying for Platinum in 2009. Thank you, Marriott! ^
Old Dec 25, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Thank you Marriott!

Like JohnnyGlobal, I also logged in today to make a reservation and found that I, too, had requalified (despite the note that I need *a lot* of nights to maintain Platinum qualification!).

Thank you Marriott, much appreciated.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just called the Plat Reservation Desk, and was confirmed that I was renewed through 2/2010.

The agent indicated that they have been hand reviewing accounts, and doing this as a courtesy in the poor economy.

I just want to extend kudos to Marriott for providing a service to it's loyal customers. I know I didn't earn the nights required this year due to much slower business, but Marriott will receive my business this coming year, for the good will gesture it extended. GOOD BUSINESS MOVE! Thank you!

Last edited by bdschobel; Dec 25, 2008 at 6:41 pm Reason: reference to deleted thread
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have had more than enough nights (146 including the credit card nights) to get platinum for 2009, but I think it is good that Marriott is giving platinum members who fell short this year a little leeway (especially those who have been platinum members for a few years in a row).
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
+1

I'll have 65 nights this year, because of the slowing economy. The renewed me and I greatly appreciate it. This will definitely make me spent a lot more nights in 2009 at Marriott.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by VA1379
I have had more than enough nights (146 including the credit card nights) to get platinum for 2009, but I think it is good that Marriott is giving platinum members who fell short this year a little leeway (especially those who have been platinum members for a few years in a row).
I'm a bit annoyed; make it easier in 2009 by lowering thresholds but I went out of my way to get to 75 even (inc CC) as I could have spent those dollars in other ways. Had I known this I would have stopped in the mid 60's like the others..

so MR conceirge, what is in it for me? this appears to be the giveaway season
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You stayed your 75 nights and received what was promised in return. I stand with VA1379 and prefer to applaud them for making smart business decisions and showing an interest in customer service, as this may benefit me down the road, rather being jealous of others. Sadly, WIIFM is par for the course nowadays.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by USFreak
I wish they would offer me a bump for the 2 nights i lack for requal on PLT....i guess ill just book a mattress run but with moolah being tight in this bad economy, i dont know that i could swing it.....especially since i live in a resort city.
USFreak - hope you were among those who got renewed despite being a little short on nights. Just in case...

Your profile indicates your are in Charleston, SC. Work sends me there often. Recently, a coworker and I got a GREAT rate at the Ren, which was very nice. Usually, though, I stay at the SPS on the river. It's above decent, and you get a view of the boats docked below and the bridge. Rarely is their rate over $100/night, and I've even scored a $59/night there once.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 8:02 am

Renewed me to PLT for 2009 with only 46 nights in 2008.
Have been PLT for 3 years prior.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
IMHO, Marriott has always "bent over backward" to help out good customers. Good to see that trend continuing/expanding given the current economic climate.

I've got 79 nights in for 2008, so I should be fine for next year.

However, in Q1 of '09, by travel may be limited due to illness in the family. If this plays out as expected, I'm hoping they'll give me a break next time around. Q1 and Q4 are my busiest travel times, so a reduction in Q1 travel....if it happens...could definitely put a dent in my total number of nights for '09. I've got 18 years in as an MR member, so hopefully that helps as well. My guess is 50-65 nights for me in '09.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
No love for me yet.

"You have stayed 71 nights this year. You need 4 more nights to maintain Platinum level."

I've got my fingers crossed.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Originally Posted by USFreak
I wish they would offer me a bump for the 2 nights i lack for requal on PLT....i guess ill just book a mattress run but with moolah being tight in this bad economy, i dont know that i could swing it.....especially since i live in a resort city.
Yeah, your market looks a bit pricy as I can't see anything under $109 for this weekend in your area ( but I do see a couple of $89/$99 rates for Monday at FFs ).

We faced a similar qualifying dilemma but made the decision after thanksgiving and we pick up two $89 nights at a local CY. I guess you could try for a rollover in early January, or simply do the deed this week.

Barry
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:38 am

Wow, only 40 nights for me, and I'm renewed at Platinum for 2009. And in my case it wasn't because of the slowing economy, but promotion to a position that requires less travel.

2009 is starting off with a bang, though; 10 nights booked at Marriott properties in January already.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Nice of Marriott But

What about those of us who continue to travel and earn Plt the hard way. I will never get PP as I only stay about 100-110 night per year but now we have to compete for upgrades. There is 2 sides to this generous Marriott offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.