Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New St. Louis Marriott at Union Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold

On the radio (KMOX) this morning, the business report including a statement that they Hyatt at Union Station was becoming a Marriott and would undergo a 20 million dollar renovation. I believe the timing for the change was by the end of the year.

This St. Louis Marriott hotel would be a good location for visitors because of the proximity to ScottTrade Center, the Metrolink, and a number of restaurants. Perhaps once it is open, someone can provide us with a report.

ZakkW
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
And the game of musical chairs in St. Louis continues.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:10 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I had heard this rumor awhile back but Hyatt Corp. denied any such deal was in the making. The fact that the downtown Adams Mark was recently reflagged a Hyatt also seemed to support the rumor.

To bad the once thriving Union Station has become a virtual ghost town (The Hard Rock Cafe there is about to undergo an extensive renovation though)
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Hyatt ---> Marriott

Hyatt managed this property very nicely and if it is going to be Marriott, my hope is that they would do atleast as good of a job as Hyatt did.

I particularly enjoyed their conceirge lounge - it was excellent.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Link

Here is a link to the article in the St. Louis Business Journal:

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlou...1/daily39.html

ZakkW
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
That hotel has had many different flags over the years. I don't think it has ever been a Marriott. It was mostly either hyatt or Omni?

I suggest they spend a fair amount of money on putting in new a/c units....during my last stay there the a/c unit seemed very, very loud.

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
To bad the once thriving Union Station has become a virtual ghost town (The Hard Rock Cafe there is about to undergo an extensive renovation though)
As a former St. Louis resident during my college years, it is sad to see what has happened to Union Station.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
That hotel has had many different flags over the years. I don't think it has ever been a Marriott. It was mostly either hyatt or Omni?

I suggest they spend a fair amount of money on putting in new a/c units....during my last stay there the a/c unit seemed very, very loud.

As a former St. Louis resident during my college years, it is sad to see what has happened to Union Station.

It's better than it was. They used it in the movie "Escape from New York" because it was abandoned and looked like it was post apocalypse.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I'm glad it will be a Marriott. A couple of years ago I had to attend a conference being held at US, and while I like Hyatts, Marriott/Hilton are my main chains now. Since I needed to keep status I ended up booking the Hampton Inn which was a 5-10 minute walk away. If it had been Marriott it would have been much more convenient to stay at US.

Since I had had such a good experience using the PDX transit into downtown PDX from the airport, I decided to try it from STL to US. Not quite the same!

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
Honeymooned there in 1986, it was indeed an Omni. Can't wait to go back
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since I had had such a good experience using the PDX transit into downtown PDX from the airport, I decided to try it from STL to US. Not quite the same!

Cheers.
I've never had any problems taking the transit train into downtown STL the several times I've done it. It's kind of slow.

Originally Posted by PointJunkie
It's better than it was. They used it in the movie "Escape from New York" because it was abandoned and looked like it was post apocalypse.
When I was in grad school in STL in the late 80s, Union Station was hopping (as was St Louis Centre which is now a ghost town) and was for much of the 90s....it started to fall hard again around 8 yrs ago?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've never had any problems taking the transit train into downtown STL the several times I've done it. It's kind of slow.
You probably haven't used PDX transport into the city from the airport is my guess. They've got spaces to put your luggage, space for bikes, space for people on motorized wheelchairs. Lots of room.

I (mistakenly) assumed that STL would be the same way. Instead there was barely enough room between rows to put my roll-aboard (and obviously no designated spots to put it), so I squashed it in where my feet would go & my knees were then up to my chin w/ my feet resting on the luggage. Heck, even if I didn't have luggage, let's just say there was no E+.

This conference I attend usually goes back to STL every 4-5 years, so it will be good to have the Marriott choice then (coming back on topic).

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 6:26 am

You probably haven't used PDX transport into the city from the airport is my guess. They've got spaces to put your luggage, space for bikes, space for people on motorized wheelchairs. Lots of room.

I (mistakenly) assumed that STL would be the same way. Instead there was barely enough room between rows to put my roll-aboard (and obviously no designated spots to put it), so I squashed it in where my feet would go & my knees were then up to my chin w/ my feet resting on the luggage. Heck, even if I didn't have luggage, let's just say there was no E+.

This conference I attend usually goes back to STL every 4-5 years, so it will be good to have the Marriott choice then (coming back on topic).

Cheers.
I've taken the PDX train from the airport twice. It was nice but I don't remember any of the amenities that you spoke of. I just remember it as a cheap, safe ride to the airport

Yes the STL train is spartan comparatively.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:39 am

If you have lots of luggage, there are 8 front row two-across seats per train (2 per car x 4 cars per train), or w/ just a roll-aboard, there are 8 more seats per train with a flat divider in front of them. It's not the mythical PDX wonderland, but hardly as dramatic as described. I manage to suffer it week in week out without too many injuries .

Originally Posted by ohmark
And the game of musical chairs in St. Louis continues.
So true. Almost humorous at this point.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What changes did Marriott make? Or are there still brand remnants from Hyatt mixed in to the scene?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended

As of 10/11/2013, this hotel will be re-flagged as a Doubletree.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...a4bcf6878.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.