Charged for receiving a package

Old Feb 7, 08, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Angry Charged for receiving a package

I checked out of the Nashville Airport Marriott today and was shocked to see they charged me $5 for receiving a package from Amazon this week. I am a plat and have had packages sent to me at Marriotts for years, and never been charged. I have stayed at this property on a weekly basis for several months, so I am not a convention or one off guest. This was the first time I had a package sent to me at this property, although I am expecting 2 more next week.

The front desk waived the charge "this time." What is the deal with this? They claim this policy began 4 months ago as they are receiving packages no one is picking up, but clearly I picked up my package. I do feel like this particular property is nickel and diming me - these charges, charges for 1800 calls, etc.

Are there new Marriott policies in effect in 2008, or is it just this property?
__
Additionally, here is a 2005 discussion mainly focused on Vegas:
Receiving Parcels Charge?
Old Feb 7, 08, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I think it is more by property. I have received multiple shipments from FedEx, UPS and the USPS at multiple Marriott properties before without ever being charged for it.
Old Feb 7, 08, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, AA EXP, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by VA1379 View Post
I think it is more by property. I have received multiple shipments from FedEx, UPS and the USPS at multiple Marriott properties before without ever being charged for it.
My experience has been the same. Never been charged and frankly shocked that they did charge you. Glad they waived the fee at least after you said something.
Old Feb 7, 08, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're charging you for 1-800 calls?

Man, everyone from Motel 6 on up has them for free. That's really chintzy.
Old Feb 7, 08, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Some Marriott hotels charge for toll free calls. The Tysons Corner Marriott charges $1 for each call. They have an above average concierge lounge and restaurant breakfast buffet, so I still stay with them.
Old Feb 7, 08, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'd be in trouble if this was the policy.. I always ship things in advance so I don't have to carry it
Old Feb 7, 08, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Never happened to me at Marriott...yet

I have gotten many packages at many diff. Marriotts and never been charged anything. I have also gotten at Sheratons and Hiltons and Hyatts and never been charged except one time at the Hyatt O' Hare. I suspect that if they have a special shipping and receiving dept. there's a greater chance of getting charged (for instance the Walt Disney Swan and possibly the Marriott Harbour Beach).
Old Feb 7, 08, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I've never been charged for receiving a package at any Marriott-branded property. I'm sure, however, at least some properties would just love to try it.

My guess is what happened at BNA was simply a routine attempt to shake down the customers for as much extra revenue as possible. I'd further guess that they typically drop the charge anytime a guest complains. But probably there are enough unwitting people who blindly accept this ridiculous fee so as to enable the hotel pick up an easy few extra hundred bucks a month.
Old Feb 7, 08, 9:26 pm

I agree that the hotel is trying to squeeze out more money. I expect that a full service hotel to have someone to take deliveries and hold packages and mail for guests. It should be included in the room rate like using the toilet and TV. Obviously, this does not mean that a guest can expect a hotel to hold enough packages to fill a UPS delivery truck, but a few boxes should not be a problem.
Old Feb 7, 08, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA PRO 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
I was charged $2-3 to receive a FedEx letter at the Renaissance Las Vegas; never been charged for any other USPS/FedEx packages before or since.
Old Feb 7, 08, 10:02 pm

Received a FedEx Express Envelope at Montreal Chateau Champlain no charge.
Old Feb 8, 08, 9:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I've received packages at both FS and non-FS properties and have never been charged for those packages.

I have seen hotels charge for Toll-free numbers before. In fact, there have been a few times, where I would try to find a public use phone in the hotel (usually somewhere around the front desk area). I could make Toll-free calls with no charge from there, just not from the room.
Old Feb 8, 08, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think in Vegas all the properties (not just Marriott) charge to receive packages. I know I've attended conventions in LAS & there have been some package charges on my bill. I also think that happened in Orlando, which is another convention town.

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 08, 5:01 pm

I've been charged to receive packages at the Hyatt in Monterey before. But never at a Marriott property though its usually a Courtyard or SHS where I have things delivered. Glad they at least waived the charge, but its just a shameless attempt to make money.
Old Feb 8, 08, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I have never been charged when receiving a package - but last week at the Hyatt Lost Pines they charged me $10 to accept a package for shipment - even though I was using my personal federal express account for the billing!

1-800 numbers seem to be an individual property type of charge - I have seen it more in "convention" hotels than in smaller suburban properties.

I have worked for the same company for 20+ years - and have never had a T&E budget. That changed with 2008 - and am hearing from others that their companies are also tightening up on expenses.

One thing I no longer pay for in FS is i'net access - a wireless card for $59 a month has taken care of that!

Some of these properties with the nickel and dime charges that add up to $25 or more per stay could actually end up losing $$$'s in the long run - and need to wake up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: