Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

timeshare hotels-- want to try it out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

does anyone know of how I can get info on trying out a place that has a vacation ownership program. I am interested, but want to find out more, hopefully by staying at one of those properties. thanks
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
There are a couple of options. First, I would suggest looking the Timeshare Users Group. You don't have to join to get access to their news groups and they have a whole forum on Marriott Timeshares with a ton of information.

As for possibly staying at a property, I do believe that Marriott owners can "refer" someone and if Marriott is selling stay packages, you might be able to get a nice deal to come visit. I don't know if someone has to be an owner at the resort you want to tour or not though. But in any event, there are a number of owners who frequent here and I'm sure if you ask someone may be able to you that referal (they get a benefit if you actually purchase.)

There is some information here on FT as well, but probably not as much as on the TUG newsgroup. Just do a search for "MVCI" on the Marriott forum and you should get some hits on good information.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
http://www.vacation-rentals.vacation...om/default.jsp

Some resorts have their own site for getaway packages... see link below for our home resorts version:

http://newportcoastvillas.com/en-us/npcv/default.asp

Be aware, on many/most getaways, they may try to stick you in a nearby Marriott hotel and do the timeshare tour on-site. There are offers without such obligation, or you can negotiate an on-site stay.

You can also have an owner "friendshare" you, where they provide your contact details to MVCI and arrangements are made...

Pat
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:32 pm

timeshares are usually condos with full kitchen, dining living room and most often 2 BR, 2 baths
some can separate into the bigger side with full kitchen dining living room 1 BR 1 bath and the one BR 1 bath efficiency as a stand alone. The smaller efficiency is more like the hotel room but it will have a small galley kitchen

The full condo or larger side is far nicer than a hotel room and usually the reson people buy timeshares. suggest you try to rent one of these, you can look on the TUG site above or vacation rent by owner
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I am a MVCI owner, you may pm me with specific questions. I would be willing to you refer you so you get a real discounted stay to try it out but it would require you to attend a 90 minute low pressure timeshare presentation.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: NWA, Spirit, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Michigan Czar
I am a MVCI owner, you may pm me with specific questions. I would be willing to you refer you so you get a real discounted stay to try it out but it would require you to attend a 90 minute low pressure timeshare presentation.
Ditto for me, if you want to try Hilton's time shares instead of (or in addition to) Marriott's.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
check www.vacationclub.com for all the Marriott properties and promotions. The program works great and allows you to trade your week for points and then for travel packages.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I am an owner.
Be sure to check out TUG and get some background. It is like the flyertalk of time shares.
But take some of the advice with a grain of salt.
Time Shares work great for some people and not others.

If you want to visit, find someone who is a member (you can PM me or others) and we can make you our "friend" then Marriott will give you great offers to visit.

Best advice I can give it:
1) Like you suggested, visit before you buy
2) Only buy somewhere you wouldn't mind visiting at least every other year for the next 10 years.
3) Take all the talk with trading with a grain of salt - I have been able to trade for some fantastic locations, but in the end I own where I want to go so if 10 years from now my resort is no longer "the bell of the ball" I still have some place to go. If you are just buying to trade then there are a whole different set of considerations.
4) If you earn a lot of Marriott points from your regular travel (e.g. business) then getting a Marriott property with points is great. I have a property I can lock-off so I can use it to stay our trade as two weeks. So I use one week this year, one week next year, then trade next year for points which I use to buy the travel package and get all the airline miles I need to travel.
5) If you are getting ready to buy, while you are there get online and ask at TUG and here what people think.
6) Always try and get a better deal. They will not change the price, but you can always work on getting more bonus nights and/or points.
7) Once you buy, stay involved with flyertalk and TUG and you will find out all the cool tricks on how to maximize what you are doing.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Has anyone bought one of the rental weeks listed on this board? I am considering contacting an owner about their listing. Any thoughts on how to make sure it's all legitimate?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Has anyone bought one of the rental weeks listed on this board? I am considering contacting an owner about their listing. Any thoughts on how to make sure it's all legitimate?
I have only bought direct from Marriott (Phuket and Aruba).

In all of Marriott's contracts, they require that they be given first right of refusal on any secondary sale. For example, if you find one and agree to a price, the owner has to offer it to Marriott first at that price. They may buy or pass.

I don't know other company's policies. I just wanted you to know Marriotts.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:01 pm

Altho I realize this is the Marriott forum, the property isn't Marriott. I need to re-phrase -- I am going to rent/buy one of their weeks for vacation. I am not buying the timeshare -- merely using their week this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.