Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Paris, France, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Paris, France, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Am staying here now. A nice hotel overall, excellent location, but the room is nothing special. The one I have is facing the courtyard, very quiet, but what's that smell? I can't figure it out.

The sign posted at the back of the door reads: Room Rate: 1800.00 Euros, HUH???
Who would pay 1800.00 Euros per night for this a-bit-larger-than-a-king-bed room?

However, I do love the business centre where the internet is 24.00 Euros for 24 hours use, which means 1 Euro per hour! So what do I mostly do while in Paris? Surfing the net, of course!
Old Feb 6, 2003, 11:52 am

What is the best way to get from CDG to the Marriott? Taxi, bus, Metro, or does the hotel have a shuttle? How far to the nearest Metro station?
Old Feb 6, 2003, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Danny Mc, the best, least expensive and fastest way is to take the RER from CDG to Chatelet, transfer into the #1 Metro to Franklin D. Roosevelt stop(direction la Defense). Exit and walk about a block (toward l'Arc de Triomphe) to the Marriott.

If you have lots of luggage, the transfer @ Chatelet involves climbing up and down some stairs. Otherwise, it's easy and fun.

Travel time is about 45 minutes. The cost is about 7 Euros.

[This message has been edited by uncle wiggily (edited 02-06-2003).]
Old Feb 6, 2003, 2:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
You could also take the Air France bus for about $10 pr person and it will drop you off right at the Arc and then it is about a 1 block walk. Enjoy
Old Feb 6, 2003, 4:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by uncle wiggily:
...the best, least expensive and fastest way is to take the RER from CDG to Chatelet, transfer into the #1 Metro to Franklin D. Roosevelt stop(direction la Defense). Exit and walk about a block (toward l'Arc de Triomphe) to the Marriott.</font>
If that's the best/fastest way, I'd love to hear this poster's concept of a rotten way.

If you're going to take the RER, you'd be much better off to change at Chatelet to the Versailles/Defense line (an easy connection), take it 1 stop to Pl. de Gaulle, then walk a couple of blocks downhill to the hotel. I'd rather walk down the Champs Elysees than the bowels of the Chatelet metro station.

Anyway, the RER (suburban metro) might be fastest only at rush hour. You still need to get to the RER station from the CDG terminal (shuttle bus) and wait for the train and connection. It's far simpler to follow DENROC's suggestion of the AF bus: you catch it directly from the terminal where you arrive, and your luggage is handled for you.

The only problem is if you have a lot of luggage, because the AF bus leaves you about 3-4 blocks from the hotel. It's not always easy to find a taxi at the Pl de Gaulle bus stop, and drivers might give you a hard time about a 3-block ride, esp. as they'd have to come up the other way on Ch-El. What you might do in this case is to take the AF bus to Porte Maillot (1st stop), then a taxi from Porte Maillot. Total cost would be $10/pp for the AF bus, then about $6-8 for the taxi.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:30 pm

What would a taxi cost from the airport that would drop me at the Marriott?
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
For a taxi, figure $35-40US plus tip. For 2-3 people with luggage, the additional expense is worth the convience IMO.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:01 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
I took AF bus to Etoile (Arc), 10 EUR. Yes, it's a 10 minute walk, without luggage. I had two suitcases, so had to take the taxi waiting at the taxi stand just across the street from the bus stop. The meter shows 3.50EUR, but I was more than gladly to give him 8.00EUR when he asked because of the short distance.

Returning to CDG this morning, I called a cab, took 30 minutes (no traffic jam), and the meter read 30.50EUR, so I evened it up to 35.00 for the driver, he was happy.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Fantastic to see an active thread on exactly the topic I'm looking for.

Question: Which Marriott property in Paris is the best? The Champs Elysees, the Renaissance or the Courtyard? I'm visiting with a buddy for he first time, pure tourism. Is the concierge worth it? Should I just stay at the Courtyard and hit the streets for a breakfast on the go?

We know little French, if that makes any difference. Probably enough to get ourselves in trouble! :-) We're studying...
Old Feb 12, 2003, 1:42 pm
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RyeGuy:
Fantastic to see an active thread on exactly the topic I'm looking for.

Question: Which Marriott property in Paris is the best? The Champs Elysees, the Renaissance or the Courtyard? I'm visiting with a buddy for he first time, pure tourism. Is the concierge worth it? Should I just stay at the Courtyard and hit the streets for a breakfast on the go?

We know little French, if that makes any difference. Probably enough to get ourselves in trouble! :-) We're studying...
</font>
For price and not so bad location its the Courtyard. For pure location and disregarding price it is the Marriott. The courtyard actually has a very good full American breakfast as a reasonable price. On the other hand the Marriott's breakfast is $$$$$ unless you are Platinum Member and then it is free.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:45 pm

RyeGuy, to save $$$$, I would go for the Courtyard. Stayed there once, and I liked it. Room was bright and spacious, staff was friendly, American buffet breakfast was scrumpcious. The hotel is nestled in a quiet, well-kept upscale neighbourhood, and I mean q u i e t.

Of course, the location of Marriott Champs Elysées is the best, but the rate is also the highest. (Starting from U.S.$350.00 per room?)

Have not stayed at the Renaissance, cannot comment on that property, sorry.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 9:04 am

Paris Renaissance - A Few Questions

I know this hotel has discussed in the past but I have a few questions that weren't addressed in previous posts. Can any of you that have stayed here in the past answer two questions for me: Does the TV offer english language programming? And how are the beds? Are they the dreaded 3 inch foam Marriott mattresses or are they actually comfortable. I'm debating between a low rate here or a smaller hotel in the 16th. I know the usual arguments, no Paris charm, out of the way, etc. Can anyone shed any light on the above questions? I'm only silver so I'm not banking on any sort of upgrade.

Thanks.

[Moderator's note: This post (and those immediately following) refer to the Renaissance at La Defense.]

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 25, 2006 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
TV has a fair number of channels in various languages, including English. I can't remember exactly how many. They get CNN for sure.

The beds were perfectly comfortable for me. I can't remember details, though. Last time I was there was a year ago. Checked out on March 10, 2002.

Bruce
Old Mar 5, 2003, 3:57 pm

During our visit to the Ren La Defense (May '02), I recall watching CNN and BBC World. I believe these two channels are standard across many of the Euro-Marriotts. Also, one of the PPV channels offered English-language films.

The two Q beds in our room were definitely not the 3" foam variety, but actual mattresses that were pretty firm.

[This message has been edited by ntamayo (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:10 am

During our stay in May 2002, BBC was the only English-language channel. The two single-size beds pushed together to make a King/Queen had regular mattresses with many miles on them . But, since it was an award stay, we were pleased. The staff was outstandingly helpful too .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.