FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott-family hotels in Paris, France, pre-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/490468-marriott-family-hotels-paris-france-pre-2014-a.html)

DENROC Jan 12, 2003 1:21 pm

Award stays at this hotel are difficult but not impossible if you do a little advance planning and book way ahead. We will be staying at the hotel on an award stay later this summer--our third weekly award stay in the last 5 years at the Paris Marriott. We just love Paris and its enviorns.

Duffy Jan 12, 2003 7:11 pm

Just returned yesterday, 1/11 from a week at this wonderful hotel with Rewards points.
Made a reservation last August.
6th Floor room, with balcony overlooking the Sacre Coeur.
BEST trip was to Normandy. What an experience! If you go, take a train to Bayeaux, and hook up with "BattleBuss" tours. Paul a British citizen knows all. Inclusive 4 hour tour is 35 Euros, worth much more. Other tours available.
If Moulin Rouge is on your agenda, a wonderful show. BUT, we got sick from the food!!!! Go let, without the dinner, tip the Matre D.
See ya,
ENJOYED IT IMMENSLY.

paradocs Jan 12, 2003 9:33 pm

Duffy, welcome to FT! I heartily agree with you about Normandy! What a moving and educational experience! It was a highlight of our trip.

Bruce: have to agree with you (once again) about how great a stay at Renaissance La Defense is.

uncle wiggily Jan 13, 2003 2:58 pm

About 300 Euros is the best rate I have ever gotten here, 0524. On this particular stay, I used regular plan-in-advance points.
The Renaissance is nice(architecture leaves something to be desired) but in La Defense. And the Courtyard is in Neuilly-sur-Seine (a very luxurious quartier, I might add).
It is very exciting to be in the heart of Paris so if you can afford it (on either Euros or points), treat yourself and stay the Avenue des Champs Elysees.

RichG Jan 13, 2003 9:53 pm

The other great thing about Normandy (and Brittany) is that they LOVE native English-speakers.

(A French friend of mine says, cynically, "No wonder. Most of them are half or a quarter American anyway.") http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

My visit to Normandy was for the 50th Anniversary of D-Day in 1994... in the company of an actual D-Day veteran.

kenjack Jan 14, 2003 11:37 pm

has anyone ever booked an award at this hotel around new year's? if so, does status matter as far as getting a reservation?

zakami Jan 15, 2003 12:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kenjack:
has anyone ever booked an award at this hotel around new year's? if so, does status matter as far as getting a reservation?</font>
Never stayed there over New Year's, but it is currently available for an award stay for Dec 31st this year. And no, status does not matter. Marriott has no over-ride/no black-out policy for elites of higher status.

jeffreyt Jan 15, 2003 12:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
The rates are sky-high. And, as far as I can tell, you will never get an award stay at this property. It's not worth the trouble, in my opinion. Stay at the Renaissance La Defense or the Courtyard in Neuilly. I've stayed at both and liked them a lot.

Bruce
</font>

I booked an award at this property for next week, but canceled it because they can't accomodate three guests in a room. So I'm staying at some little swank French hotel recommended here on FT. Booking it was pretty easy... it was avaialble last month when I booked it, but I think that's because it is January.

CMW Jan 15, 2003 9:54 am

I stayed here for one night on an award the week after Thanksgiving. (Dec 4th) I booked it online 2 weeks before that without any problem. The hotel was full so as a gold I did not get upgraded. My room had a view of the Atrium. I viewed it as a comfortable room of "average size". Of course that average size is based on the size of hotel rooms in the US. I have stayed in hotel rooms in Paris that were tiny, so I guess it was larger than average for Paris.

The concierge recommended a wonderful bistro for dinner called La Creme. I was please with my stay and would stay there again. I guess it's all about location though. That is why it is so expensive in terms of points or Euro.

lmpw Feb 3, 2003 11:12 pm

I've just book an award week for the Paris Marriott Champs-Elysees for April. Can someone tell me if they charge taxes on free rooms or is the entire stay free. Thanks. Linda

DENROC Feb 4, 2003 6:38 am

IMPW--entire stay is free--no tax.

dingo Feb 4, 2003 7:49 pm

d

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lmpw:
I've just book an award week for the Paris Marriott Champs-Elysees for April. Can someone tell me if they charge taxes on free rooms or is the entire stay free. Thanks. Linda</font>
How did you book this? I've seen no availability on teh web at all.

sfpaul900 Feb 4, 2003 10:47 pm

I just cancelled an award stay for 2/14-2/17 if anyone wants to try and grab it

lmpw Feb 4, 2003 10:56 pm

I'm amazed I got an entire week over Spring/Easter break. I can't believe it. I just went on line to the Marriott website and plugged in the dates I wanted. I didn't even expect rooms to be available for purchase. I'm happy as can be! particuarly now that I heard there's not taxes. Linda

dingo Feb 5, 2003 9:43 am

I've been trying to find award nights at a Marriott or Hilton for June... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif No luck.