Wiki Posts
Search

$100 bonus Bucks question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:03 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Brendan
TxLobo,
In Ohio, the sales tax law clearly states that whenever a coupon is used, sales tax shall be charged on the full non-coupon price. In some States this is true only if the business is being reimbursed by Marriott HQ or the manufacturer of the product, etc.

'Twould be interesting to see a list of States that do & don't have this rule.
Many states require you to pay tax on the total when its a rebate which gets reimbursed from an un-affiliated entity. Such as using a Kellogs coupon at Safeway, definitely taxable.

A $ off or reduced rate can be a different story since your dealing with a Marriott Hotel getting the discount from Marriott. Yes I know that they are a franchise but the law in some states, such as Texas and Florida look at the situations differently.

Similar rules apply to Excise Tax on your airfare, which is why a gift certificate is treated differently than a bump voucher in computing the tax. IE Certificates are taxable while bump vouchers are not.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I suppose everybody's experiences differ, but I have been told many times that government rates are definitely not publicly available. The correct status of AAA rates is, unfortunately, debatable. Senior rates are indeed publicly available.

Bruce
Yep - they told me the same thing on the phone last week. Probably totally depends on what CSR you get.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TxLobo
Many states require you to pay tax on the total when its a rebate which gets reimbursed from an un-affiliated entity. Such as using a Kellogs coupon at Safeway, definitely taxable.
I don't know about the law but, in practice in Texas and several other states, manufacturer's coupons are definitely not taxable. When they apply to a specific item, coupons are treated no differently than a manufacturers allowance that a store uses to put the item on sale. If a box of Corn Flakes is $3.00 and you have a coupon for $1.00, you pay tax on the net price after coupon or $2.00.

Please don't quote me the law and tell me the store is doing it wrong. I care about the practice, not the law. "The New York Times" and "The Wall Street Journal" but not the local paper should be taxable in Texas because the law states that all newspapers and periodicals above a certain price (50 cents, I think) are taxable. When was last time you were charged tax at DFW when you bought a paper?

BBs are more like gift certificates than coupons. As you stated, there is a difference is how GCs are treated. Since they apply to any billing rather than a specific charge (e.g., the room rate), they rightly do not reduce the taxes due.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
What about eBreaks?

Does anyone know if the last-minute eBreaks rates are considered eligible for the Bonus Bucks, or are they considered not publicly available?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
Does anyone know if the last-minute eBreaks rates are considered eligible for the Bonus Bucks, or are they considered not publicly available?
call and ask the csr.
if they are, have them make the note in the reservation that you are using a BB.

if the csr says no
tell them thanx and hang up the phone
wait 5 minutes

then repeat the process over

as long as the csr notes in it the reservation, its not your problem

if you are plat or gold they may take them anyway
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I have been told that Bonus Bucks cannot be used on e-break rates, for two reasons:

1. Because e-break rates are theoretically sent only to Marriott Rewards members, those rates are not "publicly available." I find this argument to be preposterous. Any fool who can type "MEB" in the promotional code box can get e-break rates. You don't need a membership card.

2. E-break rates are already so low that Marriott is simply unwilling to discount them even more (by accepting Bonus Bucks). I see their point, but it's really not my problem.

Although I have been Platinum forever, I have never successfully used Bonus Bucks on an e-break rate. That doesn't stop me from trying!

Bruce
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Red face Marriott says...

I tried the email route with Marriott, and here's what I got....

Something tells me I should have this email laminated, and take with me next time I try to use Bonus Bucks on eBreaks....

But now, logistically, isn't it impossible to book eBreaks via phone, thereby making this email irrelevant?

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

Our records indicate that you are able to use your Bonus Buck coupon in conjunction with our eBreaks promotions. You must be a registered guest and a two night paid stay is required. One Bonus Buck coupon is applicable per two night stay

Reservations for Bonus Bucks redemption should be made in advance by calling 1-800-899-7235. You are not able use a Bonus Bucks coupon on a stay booked on Marriott.com or any other website including travel agent bookings. You must call Marriott directly.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
Bryan Cogar
Marriott Internet Customer Care
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by drtdk
I don't know about the law but, in practice in Texas and several other states, manufacturer's coupons are definitely not taxable. When they apply to a specific item, coupons are treated no differently than a manufacturers allowance that a store uses to put the item on sale. If a box of Corn Flakes is $3.00 and you have a coupon for $1.00, you pay tax on the net price after coupon or $2.00.
At one time about 15 years ago Texas law specifically stated that (i.e., tax was applied after coupons were deducted). I don't know whether it still does, though.

Other states, of course, may have other laws.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
The AAA, SENIOR and GOVT rates are considered publicly available rates, its specially negotiated rates such as a special rate for a conference or a special rate from a consolidator which does not meet the criteria of the Bonus Bucks.

Marriott customer relations told me that if I can book it over the web without a promotion code, then bonus bucks can be used against it.

You're the only one I've seen that has been told this by customer relations. Can you elaborate on who told you this and by what means?
If I could get an email from Marriott saying this, I'd print it and carry it with me.

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by drtdk
You don't "have to call." You should call because the rules state that you must. However, I've used BBs and PPs at least 15 times in the U.S., London and Paris and I have yet to advise any hotel on my plans prior to arrival.

I Have a $100 Marriott check and am thinking to stay at the Toronto Airport Marriott in September.

If the room rate plus taxes are less than this $100 "US" dollars check, I am wondering will the hotel give you some money back ? Does anyone know exactly how it works ? Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No change is given on these. Don't bother asking. It definitely won't happen. Better to buy yourself a drink in the hotel restaurant and get something tangible.

Bruce
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by bdschobel
No change is given on these. Don't bother asking. It definitely won't happen. Better to buy yourself a drink in the hotel restaurant and get something tangible.

Bruce

actually if they use the conversion rate which is 10% less than standard/normal
you may owe them some cash at checkout
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:42 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
Obviously it has been some time

Originally Posted by srodr
You're the only one I've seen that has been told this by customer relations. Can you elaborate on who told you this and by what means?
If I could get an email from Marriott saying this, I'd print it and carry it with me.
I can request it in writing but for me practice has held this out to be correct.... I stay in Marriotts and Renaissances between 100 and 250 nights a year almost always at Govt or AAA rates and most of the time I use Bonus Bucks. NEVER EVER have I had a problem using them. I am absolutely baffled that so many people on this web site have indicated that they had problems with them. I might expect problems internationally but for me, even those locations have honored the use of MBB's, though sometimes grudgingly, when they called Marriott they were 100% of the time instructed to accept them....

Last edited by TxLobo; Aug 4, 2005 at 10:44 pm
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I can request it in writing but for me practice has held this out to be correct.... I stay in Marriotts and Renaissances between 100 and 250 nights a year almost always at Govt or AAA rates and most of the time I use Bonus Bucks. NEVER EVER have I had a problem using them. I am absolutely baffled that so many people on this web site have indicated that they had problems with them. I might expect problems internationally but for me, even those locations have honored the use of MBB's, though sometimes grudgingly, when they called Marriott they were 100% of the time instructed to accept them....

...probably because of your status. I doubt that I'd be able to get the same results with a gov rate.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:25 am

Gov rates

Originally Posted by swag
Okay, maybe a stupid question from someone who's never worked for the govt, but...

Aren't those rates only for official business? And if you are on official business (and I assume reimbursed), why would you want to use your bucks?
It depends upon the hotel chain. Marriott government rules state, "Were honored to welcome government and military personnel as our special guests. Whether youre traveling across the country or around the world, most of our 2,600 Marriott hotels offer special rates, which are in most cases at or below your US Government per diem.

Marriotts government and military rates are offered to:

All federal, state, county and local government employees
All active military personnel "

Doesn't say anything about official business. Only time we ever had an issue was when we were trying to book 4 rooms. Had to have a separate government ID for each room. The desk clerk went ahead and accepted my children's IDs for rooms 3 and 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.