Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus Bucks Explanation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott-Platinum, Hilton-Gold, Avis-Preferred, GoldPoints-Elite, Gold Crown Club, Priority Club,etc
Bonus Bucks Explanation?

I stay at Fairfields alot and since it is my expense, I try to use Bonus Bucks when ever possible.

I get the envelope w/free Bonus Bucks on Ebay. Pay between $10 - $25 for a $50.

I noticed the bidding for a $50 Gift Card at $50 Plus $2.50 shipping. I looked at Marriott web site and see that you can buy them for $50 and free shipping.

I can understand paying 40-45 for a Gift card, but only 15-25 on a Bonus Bucks.

My question is: Why would someone pay $52.50 for something they can get for $50.00?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I saw that, too. It's either a very stupid person or a bogus bid (not an uncommon event on e-bay).

Bruce
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
2.50 to ship a gift card

it should be 37 cents
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by mrcheaps
I stay at Fairfields alot and since it is my expense, I try to use Bonus Bucks when ever possible.

I get the envelope w/free Bonus Bucks on Ebay. Pay between $10 - $25 for a $50.

I noticed the bidding for a $50 Gift Card at $50 Plus $2.50 shipping. I looked at Marriott web site and see that you can buy them for $50 and free shipping.

I can understand paying 40-45 for a Gift card, but only 15-25 on a Bonus Bucks.

My question is: Why would someone pay $52.50 for something they can get for $50.00?
fyi - I have been told by Marriott customer service that these are completely transferable and that there is no problem buying them via ebay - the envelope w/bonus bucks should not be necessary. If Chris or Socrates or someone else has a different opinion/knowledge, please advise. But given the multitude of ebay auctions going on with them, it seems there is no problem selling them. (I theorize that partly this has to do with the availability of them through things like rebates, where it's your property, not a reward you've earned via stays/loyalty - and the fact that Rewards CS told me it's fine).
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mrcheaps

I have two ebay accounts - both are designated as "Powerseller" accounts due to the volume of my sales. One thing that selling on ebay has taught me: there are alot of INCREDIBLY STUPID people out there.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by yanxfann
I have two ebay accounts - both are designated as "Powerseller" accounts due to the volume of my sales. One thing that selling on ebay has taught me: there are alot of INCREDIBLY STUPID people out there.
I agree wholeheartedly. Twice in the past month I have been outbid by individuals who exceeded the "buy it now" price.

I love it when I then get a second chance offer.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by wingsfan
fyi - I have been told by Marriott customer service that these are completely transferable and that there is no problem buying them via ebay - the envelope w/bonus bucks should not be necessary. If Chris or Socrates or someone else has a different opinion/knowledge, please advise. But given the multitude of ebay auctions going on with them, it seems there is no problem selling them. (I theorize that partly this has to do with the availability of them through things like rebates, where it's your property, not a reward you've earned via stays/loyalty - and the fact that Rewards CS told me it's fine).
I trust you got his/her name.

The certificates say on them that they are transferable when gifted, but void if sold or bartered (various versions of the language in the T&C, but there in some form or other on all of the Bonus Bucks I've gotten).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.