Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free Silver Elite offer in the mail...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K

Got this in the mail today.. seems like a Continental Onepass/Mariott Rewards promo (I am silver with CO and never been to a Mariott before):

Free Silver Elite Membership with Mariott for one program year
2 Free Night (Cat 1-4) certs with three stays before June 30, 05.

Now, looking at the Mariott website, most decent hotels look like Cat 5 and 6 - so my question is: is this anything really to be excited about? I have Starwood Platinum and Hilton Diamond - Should I really try Mariott because of this offer?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:20 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Silver is worthless.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
How do you sign up? Silver is pretty worthless as the other poster pointed out - but for those of us who will have the three stays before end June the two free night certs sound good.

To answer your question, Cat 1-4 excludes all of the really posh hotels but still allows for stays at a lot of pretty nice Courtyards in cities and full service Marriotts in out-of-the-way places.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Got this in the mail today.. seems like a Continental Onepass/Mariott Rewards promo (I am silver with CO and never been to a Mariott before):

Free Silver Elite Membership with Mariott for one program year
2 Free Night (Cat 1-4) certs with three stays before June 30, 05.

Now, looking at the Mariott website, most decent hotels look like Cat 5 and 6 - so my question is: is this anything really to be excited about? I have Starwood Platinum and Hilton Diamond - Should I really try Mariott because of this offer?
Silver is pretty easy to get and not worth much. You get Silver automatically if you enroll for the no-fee Marriott VISA card. On the other hand, the 2 Free Night certs are worth something. There are a handful of decent Cat 4 Marriotts. If you're likely to do 2-3 stays at a Marriott anyway before June 30, you may as well take advantage of of the promo. Switching a few Hilton or Starwood stays over might also be worthwhile. However, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to do a mattress run for all 3 stays just for the Silver status and certs.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
The website was just: http://joinmarriottrewards.com/ and they gave you an account number (your own Marriott Rewards number) to put in to activate the offer.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
The website was just: http://joinmarriottrewards.com/ and they gave you an account number (your own Marriott Rewards number) to put in to activate the offer.
Hmmm....

Looks like existing members are not eligible and you need to have the number from the mailing. Also looks like you can earn up to 4 free nights. If I were you I'd go for the 4 free nights - what do you have to lose?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I got what sounds like the same offer (but because of my AA status). I agree silver is pretty worthless, from what I've read about it. In fact, since nearly all of my travels involve slumming it at hostels, train stations, or friends homes, I rarely stay in hotels at all. I did have a Marriott rewards account long ago, but with no more than one 1-2k worth of points. I'm signing up basically because I happen to have a trip to NY in a few weeks that will net me the three stay requirement (with some creative hotel hopping each night), and I could definetly use the two free nights, even if they aren't valid at the "good" hotels.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Silver, HHonors Gold, GoldPoints Gold, Amtrak GR Select PLUS
Got the same offer and I am really disappointed that I am ineligible because I happen to already have a Marriott Rewards account.

Strangely, when you activite the new number from the offer through the website, it asks if you have another Marriott Rewards account number, but it certainly doesn't apply this offer to your existing account. Then it locks out the new number so you can't use the new one either.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I decided to stay in a different Courtyard every night while I'm NY (all within a 30 mile circle or so). That'll get me four stays (and 7,500 points for the MegaBonus promotion). I figure with two more stays between now and June, which I'll most certainly do, I'll net four free night certs. Not bad, really, considering I was going to be doing these trips anyway. As an aside, I looked up my old account and found out I had a zero balance anyway! Nothing lost by me retiring that old account in favor of this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.