Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Parking fees at hotels (and possible discounts) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking fees at hotels (and possible discounts) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
I stayed in Marriott London Grosvenor Square and parking was 48 GBP (about 75 USD) a night, good thing I wasn't driving...I can see why Marriott doesn't want to offer free parking to elites-in expensive cities this could add up pretty quickly. In addition to losing the sum that people would pay anyways, you have to add on the costs of people who wouldn't normally drive (especially in cities like NYC and London) but decided to get a rental car anyways to take advantage of the free parking offer...

Originally Posted by sdix
Having just paid over $50 a night at the Ren Stanford Court in SF I'd vote for free parking.... Hard to justify on the expense report....
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
OK, so I thought about the third party parking situation before writing my last post. I even thought about taking parking out of the equation so that we could focus on other elite benefits, but went with it anyway. Here was my reasoning...

Those 3rd party companies negotiate with Marriott for the right to run their parking garages. They obviously do it to make a profit. Marriott could quite simply write into the contract that a certain percentage of cars would be parked for free. If the parking company didn't like it, I guarantee another company would be right behind them ready to sign the contract. That's the brilliance of the free market economy.

And I will even point out, in this very thread, the number of people who've said something along the lines of "it would be great if Marriott offered free parking to elites." It wouldn't break Marriott's bank but would CLEARLY set them apart (in a good way) from all the other chains. The message would be: you want to be valued and rewarded for loyalty? Come to Marriott, where we do what it takes to make sure you get treated better than anywhere else.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
OK, so I thought about the third party parking situation before writing my last post. I even thought about taking parking out of the equation so that we could focus on other elite benefits, but went with it anyway. Here was my reasoning...

Those 3rd party companies negotiate with Marriott for the right to run their parking garages. They obviously do it to make a profit. Marriott could quite simply write into the contract that a certain percentage of cars would be parked for free. If the parking company didn't like it, I guarantee another company would be right behind them ready to sign the contract. That's the brilliance of the free market economy.

And I will even point out, in this very thread, the number of people who've said something along the lines of "it would be great if Marriott offered free parking to elites." It wouldn't break Marriott's bank but would CLEARLY set them apart (in a good way) from all the other chains. The message would be: you want to be valued and rewarded for loyalty? Come to Marriott, where we do what it takes to make sure you get treated better than anywhere else.
it's all about location location location and those parking operators know that and typically would have the upper hand because of it plus MI doesn't like to bully it's vendors - they prefer partnerships
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by socrates
it's all about location location location and those parking operators know that and typically would have the upper hand because of it plus MI doesn't like to bully it's vendors - they prefer partnerships
who's bullying anyone

you put out a proposal for the service or product you want with the Terms and conditions you desire and send it out for bid. those with an interest in those terms will respond. You may get some counter proposals which Marriott could accept and negotiate or if someone else with the capability of providing the service accepts your terms then you can go with them

there is absoulutely no bullying of vendors at all; by setting these t&c's up front in the RFP you are acting like a partnership right from the start

if you can't get any responses to your rfp, then you amend it or do the proper research up front, pretty simple
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
BTW - can I also add a different perspective - as in with all things FT, YVMV.

I rarely - can count on a couple of fingers each year - use a rental car or drive to a Marriott property, so to me free parking isn't in the top 5 of things I'd like to see Marriott implement.

I would even hazard a guess that a lot of FTers and elites that might not be on FT would put free breakfast on weekends or exec lounges open on weekend before free parking, at least based on the amount of kvetching re: that topic on this forum (including by me).

Yes parking can be very expensive - especially in the bigger cities. Of course in the bigger cities hotel rooms are expensive. Don't like it, but that's market reality. And while employers might not like huge amounts on expense reports, that's the cost of doing business in some locations. Of course it hurts the person traveling for leisure more, no question.

I'd say the amount of parking garages that Marriott or its franchises actually own are pretty small, therefore it's the parking garage operator that has the upper hand. Do you really think in places like downtown NYC, SFO, ORD, that the garages will sit empty if Marriott guests don't park there? Of course not. They're doing fine.

What I have seen in some locations is where Marriott guests get a 'discount' (ie, instead of $49/day it's $28 or $34/day) on the regular parking rates.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
who's bullying anyone

you put out a proposal for the service or product you want with the Terms and conditions you desire and send it out for bid. those with an interest in those terms will respond. You may get some counter proposals which Marriott could accept and negotiate or if someone else with the capability of providing the service accepts your terms then you can go with them

there is absoulutely no bullying of vendors at all; by setting these t&c's up front in the RFP you are acting like a partnership right from the start

if you can't get any responses to your rfp, then you amend it or do the proper research up front, pretty simple
I believe you are reading into my post and missed other parts.....
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BTW - can I also add a different perspective - as in with all things FT, YVMV.

I rarely - can count on a couple of fingers each year - use a rental car or drive to a Marriott property, so to me free parking isn't in the top 5 of things I'd like to see Marriott implement.

I would even hazard a guess that a lot of FTers and elites that might not be on FT would put free breakfast on weekends or exec lounges open on weekend before free parking, at least based on the amount of kvetching re: that topic on this forum (including by me).

Yes parking can be very expensive - especially in the bigger cities. Of course in the bigger cities hotel rooms are expensive. Don't like it, but that's market reality. And while employers might not like huge amounts on expense reports, that's the cost of doing business in some locations. Of course it hurts the person traveling for leisure more, no question.

I'd say the amount of parking garages that Marriott or its franchises actually own are pretty small, therefore it's the parking garage operator that has the upper hand. Do you really think in places like downtown NYC, SFO, ORD, that the garages will sit empty if Marriott guests don't park there? Of course not. They're doing fine.

What I have seen in some locations is where Marriott guests get a 'discount' (ie, instead of $49/day it's $28 or $34/day) on the regular parking rates.

Cheers.
very well said
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by travelismylife
They always give me free parking at the Marriott Orlando Airport. And once or twice at the Renaissance Orlando Airport.
OT: Which hotel do you prefer from the two? We need to stay near the Orlando airport for 1 weekend night. Do either give free breakfast coupons to plats on weekends?

Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:13 am

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
I love these kinds of statements

The marginal cost per room may be slight or approaching zero, but there is a definite cost there.
Which is exactly what the OP said.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
I love these kinds of statements

The food costs the hotel money. They have to pay people to work the restaurant, stock the buffet, clean up afterward, etc.

The marginal cost per room may be slight or approaching zero, but there is a definite cost there.
Thanks for the backup, ohmark!

All the costs you described are basically fixed. For Marriott to set out a breakfast buffet they have to do all the things you described. One additional customer coming in, getting a scoop of scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee, does nothing to the cost of that buffet. Those are eggs that would have been discarded at the end of breakfast, and coffee that would have been dumped down the drain. The staff is there anyway, the dishwasher will be running anyway, etc.

Of course I realize this reasoning breaks down in the macro sense. At some point additional patrons DO cost the hotel money. They need additional staff to handle them, and at some point they have to whip up another batch of eggs, etc.

I stand by my argument, however, that for hotels and resorts to offer a free breakfast buffet to their elite guests at all times would make for a negligible additional cost to the hotels but the goodwill generated by the most frequent traveling public would be immense.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: aa EXP, dl GM, mar LTPLT, hh DIA, spg PLT, ich AMB, nat EE, hertz PC
Cannot speak for all locations.. when in San Fran.. I am used to the parking downtown. Some cities use it for a source of revenue and the spaces are taxed at a very high rate. One of my associates in downtown San Fran pays $900 a month for a parking space in the deck beside his office.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Free parking is something that people love, but the actual cost in major cities would blow a big hole in the hotel's budget. Parking is expensive in downtown NYC, Chicago, London, DC, Seattle, and SF because the available space is limited compared to potential demand. High prices for parking make it easier to find a space and encourage people to consider the economics of using a car.

I travel mainly to Marriott hotels in suburban areas where parking is free. When I have a car and staying in a city or suburban area with little parking, I expect to pay for parking.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
Wow, great benefit, would definately make it easier to choose a marriott, or make it easier on me... Or how abour "realistic" parking rates? Like a 50% discount?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Compromise - Free Onsite Parking if Available

I won't rehash the parking garage cost discussion.

But what really bothers me is the on-site parking fees at Marriott Resorts.

They put up a gate around their parking lot, which I understand so that people don't use it as free parking to get to the beach - but the rates are silly.

I am loyal and like the brand, but every time I get to enjoy a vacation with the family by using some of the points I earned for spending half my life with Marriott - I fell like they are trying to nickle and dime me.

For instance, fI am taking the family to Marcos Island for Christmas.
A place that everyone says I need to rent a car in order to enjoy.
And so my previous free 5 night vacation is now a $60 vacation.
Is that a bunch, no - but it more than enough to irritate me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.