Parking fees at hotels (and possible discounts) [Merged threads]

Old Jul 2, 04, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver, United Premiere, Hilton Silver, National Execuitve Elite
Parking fees at hotels (and possible discounts) [Merged threads]

Do any of the major hotel conglomerates offer free parking for elites? Nothing drives me nuts more than having to pay for parking at a hotel. I know they "all" do it, but it just seems ridiculous to me. There may be some exceptions - like Manhattan, but for the most part, these just seem like monopolistic profit centers for the hotels. I can't see why I should have to pay for parking in Milwaukee, Tampa, Dallas and certainly Marco fariggin' Island!

I know for the most part its just another line of the expense report, but its really annoying - especially when it your own money. I'm spending $25,000+ per year with Marriott. The least they could do is gimme a parkings space for free - especially if I'm on an award stay. You spend 175,000 points on a week's hotel room and their like "yeah, the room is free, but here's your $168 bill for the parking spot!"

OUTRAGEOUS!
Old Jul 2, 04, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Lightbulb Great idea, worth a letter or email to Marriott

Originally Posted by FlyWithoutWings
... Nothing drives me nuts more than having to pay for parking at a hotel. ...it just seems ridiculous to me. There may be some exceptions - like Manhattan... I know for the most part its just another line of the expense report, but its really annoying...
Wow, I could have typed the exact same words (I've said them many times). This may be a great item for a letter writing campaign by Marriott elites. Here's a "no cost" benefit:

Silver: One night free self park
Gold: free self park
Plat: free self and valet parking

Worth me dropping a letter to Marriott as an idea to improve their program.
Old Jul 2, 04, 8:12 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
I'd like to see you get it approved... I can really see NYC Marriott hotels give free parking....Not anytime soon!
Old Jul 2, 04, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver, United Premiere, Hilton Silver, National Execuitve Elite
Originally Posted by CraigS
I'd like to see you get it approved... I can really see NYC Marriott hotels give free parking....Not anytime soon!
I think most of us agree that NYC would likely be an exception. Possible some international destinations would be logical exclusions as well. A place like NYC, you don't typically "need" your own car. If you have a desire to have a car in NYC, then getting charged to park it may be reasonable.

What I'm talking about is the locations where having a car isn't really optional. Places like Tampa, Milwaukee, Dallas, Marco Island, etc. where mass transit, car services and even taxis are really a good option.
Old Jul 3, 04, 6:19 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
In areas with very little mass transportation such as FL, suburban NJ, HI, etc. where nearly everyone is coming in with a car, they should just build the cost of parking into the room rate and be done with it. I was unpleasantly surprised to read that Marriott Marco Island just imposed a parking fee- I'll bet the Hilton down the street just did the same thing. Parking at the Hilton was free when my husband and I were there a year ago.

In urban areas, many people get a shuttle or taxi to the hotel and do business within walking distance or via public transportation. Those are also areas where land is extraordinarily expensive so there's a big cost to setting aside parking space. In those cases, I can understand that the people who use the service should pay for it (although I've seen some exorbitant parking fees- JW Marriott in DC comes to mind).

I agree that free parking would be a great Elite perk.
Old Jul 3, 04, 9:52 am
Moderator: Marriott Rewards forum & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Hertz President's Circle
When the Marriott Marina in Ft. Lauderdale imposed a parking fee a couple of years ago, I stopped staying there. I cannot imagine the justification for a fee at that location, far from any beach. When I complained about it, the front desk refunded it, but I object to ripoff parking fees on principle. So now I use the Plantation Renaissance in that area.

Bruce
Old Jul 3, 04, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by bdschobel
... the Marriott Marina in Ft. Lauderdale imposed a parking fee... So now I use the Plantation Renaissance...
That's my point. I have taken and will continue to take my business elsewhere when there is alternatives. If Marriott elites make it clear that both the chain and franchisees are losing our business, maybe they can consider how much revenue they would lose if they threw us elites this bone. Marriott knows elites are repeat customers and they need to hear that we are repeatly avoiding locations with unreasonable parking fees.

And dah, CraigS. As the OP stated, there may be exemptions where a location could simply not "afford" to extend this perk. I don't see this fact to cause friendly inquiries to Marriott for free parking for their elites to be a non-starter.

Last edited by traveling_again; Jul 3, 04 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 16, 08, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Parking fees, dining count towards points?

Parking fees, dining - non room rate per night charges - count towards points?

The reason I ask is some hotels have parking fees. Does that count towards points?
Old Jan 16, 08, 3:04 pm

as per my experience Dining $ count towards points but not the parking fee.
Old Jan 16, 08, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
I used valet parking at the Leeds Marriott here in the UK last year and got points on the fee.
Old Jan 16, 08, 3:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Platinum Marriott, AA Gold, Silver NW
my experience also dining yes, no on parking, may be different if you use valet and charge it
Old Jan 16, 08, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
This is basically true at Full service properties. But you only get points for the room rate only at Courtyards and Fairfields.
Old Apr 22, 10, 11:00 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold
Anyone ever have success getting parking comped?

I always avoid properties that charge for parking on principle. It strikes me similarly to selling a car, then charging extra for the tires. Or, like charging a fee for a carry-on/restroom break in an airplane

I'm not talking about Manhattan or downtown Chicago -- I'm talking about cities where you need a car to get around; where almost everyone rented or drove a car to the hotel. Columbia, SC? Suburban Miami, FL? I'm looking straight at you.

I recently stayed at hotel that offered no self-parking; the only option was $30 a day for valet parking, plus tipping the valet at least $4/day (I don't begrudge the latter, just the former).

Has anyone ever had success bargaining for comped parking at a Marriott property? I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks to stay at a nicer hotel, but I've never been able to accept the whole pay-to-park thing at hotels where easily 95% of the guests have cars.

Again, I'm willing to pay for quality but I refuse to be nickeled, dimed and dollared to death for something that IMO should be included in the room rate.

If they charge for parking, I always stay elsewhere except when the hotel is chosen for me. It never occured to me that if the pay-to-park hotel is my first choice, that I could ask them to comp the parking, making it clear I would not be able to stay there otherwise.

Is it even worth asking?

Flame away.

Last edited by judolphin; Apr 22, 10 at 11:05 am
Old Apr 22, 10, 11:04 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The parking deck at the Columbia Marriott is shared with the Sheraton, but I believe that it is city owned, thus the charge for parking.
Old Apr 22, 10, 11:07 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 View Post
The parking deck at the Columbia Marriott is shared with the Sheraton, but I believe that it is city owned, thus the charge for parking.
Understandable. But I simply feel they should adjust the room rate accordingly, since next to no one goes to Columbia, SC and stays in a FS Marriott without a car.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: