Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are there Marriott properties that offer restaurant breakfast for Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Hi, coming from Hilton, where almost every stay I've had breakfast buffet at restaurant on top of lounge.

Does Marriott have a similar policy for Plats especially in APAC or is it much less beneficial?

I am talking non resort, core brands providing the full buffet breakfast benefit (similar to what SPG has before the merger)

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There is no company-wide policy for that. However, in the APAC region, I have had some hotels provide breakfast coupons and there are some reports here for that occasionally happening. Of course, you'll find more reports that lounges in the APAC region have very extensive breakfast offerings that are far different from those offered at core hotels in the US. For example, the lounges at the JW Singapore, JW Hong Kong, Renaissance Hong Kong, or Bangkok Marriott Marquis have breakfast spreads that can look like an expensive US brunch.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It varies not just from hotel to hotel, but often from one time to the next at a specific hotel. The Bangkok Ren is probably the single property that changes its policy on this most. There is no way to know what the policy will be on a given day. The BKK JW: Never. The BKK CY: Always. The KL Majestic: Always. The KL Ren: Usually. The BKK Suk 57: Sometimes. Check the hotel threads and the lounge sticky for other hotels.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Are you worried about restaurant vs. exec lounge breakfast or full buffet vs. continental?

As others have mentioned, your best guide is the individual hotel threads since YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mingzie
Hi, coming from Hilton, where almost every stay I've had breakfast buffet at restaurant on top of lounge.

Does Marriott have a similar policy for Plats especially in APAC or is it much less beneficial?

I am talking non resort, core brands providing the full buffet breakfast benefit (similar to what SPG has before the merger)

Thanks
When the combined program and updated benefits kick in August 18, Marriott's Platinum Elite breakfast benefits for full-service and luxury properties will remain much as they are today.

Marriott brands from the SPG side that have offered daily restaurant breakfast for Platinum + 1 as a Platinum Welcome Gift option will continue that practice, separately from lounge access.

Marriott brands from the Rewards side that have offered daily breakfast for Platinum + 1 in the lounge, with breakfast in the restaurant only if the there is no lounge or the lounge is closed, will continue that practice.

Marriott full-service brands from both sides that have not previously provided breakfast (including Design, Edition, Ritz-Carlton, MVC), will continue not to provide breakfast.

Marriott full-service brands from the Rewards side whose resorts previously were excluded from the lounge/breakfast benefit will follow the SPG model, with breakfast as a Platinum Welcome Gift option at resorts.

As others have noted, there are exceptions when a hotel from the Rewards side, such as a JW Marriott or a Renaissance, provides lounge access and restaurant breakfast, but this is rare.

If having both lounge access and a restaurant breakfast is important, look for Marriott brands from the SPG side, such as Sheraton and Westin, but make sure the hotel has a lounge.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 13, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
AFAIK, this is not a systemwide thing at Hilton either. I'm Diamond, have stayed in Hiltons on 5 continents including several of the better Asian Hiltons, and Diamonds are usually in the lounge. Lounges at the better international Hiltons are often quite good, so I have no complaints about that.

Getting breakfast in both the lounge and restaurant sounds like an exception - or something you'd have to ask for - at both chains.

Of course both brands have lots of mainline hotels with no lounge, and then the continental vs full buffet thing varies by property.
C17PSGR and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The Courtyards in Hong Kong (Sha-Tin and the one on Cavanaugh Rd) seem to be semi-full service properties, despite the Courtyard name. At both properties, I've sat at the restaurant for breakfast, which is largely buffet style but with rather extensive spreads. Both also have the lounge available as an option for breakfast.

The Sky City Marriott, near HKIA, has a very nice buffet spread, plus the lounge upstairs as an option.

I've received complimentary breakfast as both gold and platinum, on both paid and award stays, at all of the above.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Horace
When the combined program and updated benefits kick in August 18, Marriott's Platinum Elite breakfast benefits for full-service and luxury properties will remain much as they are today.

Marriott brands from the SPG side that have offered daily restaurant breakfast for Platinum + 1 as a Platinum Welcome Gift option will continue that practice, separately from lounge access.

Marriott brands from the Rewards side that have offered daily breakfast for Platinum + 1 in the lounge, with breakfast in the restaurant only if the there is no lounge or the lounge is closed, will continue that practice.

Marriott full-service brands from both sides that have not previously provided breakfast (including Design, Edition, Ritz-Carlton, MVC), will continue not to provide breakfast.

Marriott full-service brands from the Rewards side whose resorts previously were excluded from the lounge/breakfast benefit will follow the SPG model, with breakfast as a Platinum Welcome Gift option at resorts.

As others have noted, there are exceptions when a hotel from the Rewards side, such as a JW Marriott or a Renaissance, provides lounge access and restaurant breakfast, but this is rare.

If having both lounge access and a restaurant breakfast is important, look for Marriott brands from the SPG side, such as Sheraton and Westin, but make sure the hotel has a lounge.
Remember that the legacy SPG restaurant breakfast as a welcome amenity choice is continental breakfast, although individual hotels may offer full breakfast or a full breakfast buffet.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:42 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by pinniped
AFAIK, this is not a systemwide thing at Hilton either. I'm Diamond, have stayed in Hiltons on 5 continents including several of the better Asian Hiltons, and Diamonds are usually in the lounge.

Getting breakfast in both the lounge and restaurant sounds like an exception - or something you'd have to ask for - at both chains.
I am surprised to hear this. My experience is the opposite, especially if we are going to talk about Asia (so I am aligned with the OP). A Hilton-family hotel limiting me to breakfast in the lounge is the exception, not the norm, and not something I have to ask for.

For sure I remember I had choice of breakfast in the restaurant or lounge in the following hotels:
Conrad Bangkok
Conrad Manila
Conrad Seoul
DT Kuala Lumpur
Hilton Fukuoka
Hilton Phuket
Hilton Tokyo
Millenium Hilton Bangkok

There are several others that I think I remember I also had the choice of lounge or restaurant, but because from memory I am not 100% sure I will not post them here for risk of posting bad information. But there is not a single one of them that I remember for sure NOT being allowed in the restaurant, because if I had been denied anywhere I would have been surprised and I would remember about it.

Where can you not have breakfast in the restaurant in Asia in your experience?

As far as I am concerned, Hilton has lots of warts particularly Diamond benefits being weaker than Hyatt and SPG, but breakfast treatment is the one area where Hilton fares better.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The Courtyards in Hong Kong (Sha-Tin and the one on Cavanaugh Rd) seem to be semi-full service properties, despite the Courtyard name. At both properties, I've sat at the restaurant for breakfast, which is largely buffet style but with rather extensive spreads. Both also have the lounge available as an option for breakfast.

The Sky City Marriott, near HKIA, has a very nice buffet spread, plus the lounge upstairs as an option.

I've received complimentary breakfast as both gold and platinum, on both paid and award stays, at all of the above.
Many (most?) Marriott properties in China offer a full restaurant breakfast for Gold and Plat.

In HK, the JW in HK doesn't, not sure about the Renaissance.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Unlike Marriott, I've never experienced a full service Hilton where you couldn't get breakfast in the main restaurant in place of the lounge (Europe, Asia).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.