Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:58 am

Do we really need another sticky on the Marriott Board?

None of the other boards on FT are this cluttered with them!! Makes it much harder to navigate and they just keep growing......
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
So I have two questions related to this:

(1) If I combine my accounts, can I still achieve Lifetime Platinum the old way? (I have 1.7 million points and 494 lifetime nights on Marriott but my six nights are in September)

(2) If I have a certificate for a free night (from my credit card), will that remain or will that also be converted into points?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've got a better wager:

Betcha that outage won't end up being fully resolved before Monday morning 8/20 at the earliest
Your post made me realize that they're going to attempt this on a Saturday.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mciampa

(1) If I combine my accounts, can I still achieve Lifetime Platinum the old way? (I have 1.7 million points and 494 lifetime nights on Marriott but my six nights are in September)

(2) If I have a certificate for a free night (from my credit card), will that remain or will that also be converted into points?
1. Marriott has repeatedly said yes but there are posters who do not believe that answer and posters who think Marriott will find their IT dept will not be able to track this so the rule will be changed. Neither argument seems to have merit. Marriott has been pretty consistent and firm in its yes.

2. There is still no clear answer but it is believed the cert will be points but not points that go in with your other points but a separate cert for up to those number of points but which can only be used stand-alone. But again, there are no firm answers.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Perfect timing! My next Starwood stays are on the 18th and 19th, and will get about 50% more points under the new program.
I'm starting a week long stay at a resort property 8/18 what are my chances of getting the newly added Plat benefits? (Breakfast, extra points)
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'm starting a week long stay at a resort property 8/18 what are my chances of getting the newly added Plat benefits? (Breakfast, extra points)
Better question is what are the chances that you show up and the resort property does not even know you have a reservation?
kennycrudup and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
Better question is what are the chances that you show up and the resort property does not even know you have a reservation?
yeah, I am quite happy that my first stay is 8/29! And that is at a legacy Marriott hotel so I am hopeful at least that will work out.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have very poor timing. I have two stays in a Westin: August 15 to 17 and then August 17 to 19.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, I am quite happy that my first stay is 8/29! And that is at a legacy Marriott hotel so I am hopeful at least that will work out.
I'm happy also that my first stay begins 8/26.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I have very poor timing. I have two stays in a Westin: August 15 to 17 and then August 17 to 19.
No reason to worry. Your reservation is probably already at the property system and since your MR # is not slated to change, I doubt they will be touching those. The ones to be concerned are the SPG members that will be getting a new number. I'd bet they have a process to address that change with the only issue being getting the stays posted.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:09 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Both of those stays begin before 8/18. I also have a 8/17 check in at a SPG property. I am glad I am not checking in on 8/18. We should be fine. (I expect all types of chaos on Saturday)
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by damon88

Both of those stays begin before 8/18. I also have a 8/17 check in at a SPG property. I am glad I am not checking in on 8/18. We should be fine. (I expect all types of chaos on Saturday)
No reason to expect chaos at the property. I suspect the worst thing to happen is a delay in posting the stay IF at a SPG property as the number will change. MR should be business as usual. The property may take the opportunity to host a Welcome to the Merged Program party or the such. Enjoy your stay.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mciampa

IMO the more important question is to understand what are the benefits you will receive upon combining your accounts instantly. If there won't be significant benefits, why would you even think of taking the risk that combining will either eliminate the possibility of getting lifetime status under the old rules or create enormous hassles for you to "prove" after the combination that you have satisfied the requirements for lifetime status under the old program?

My advice to anyone would be that if in doubt, don't be so eager to combine accounts ASAP.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO the more important question is to understand what are the benefits you will receive upon combining your accounts instantly. If there won't be significant benefits, why would you even think of taking the risk that combining will either eliminate the possibility of getting lifetime status under the old rules or create enormous hassles for you to "prove" after the combination that you have satisfied the requirements for lifetime status under the old program?

My advice to anyone would be that if in doubt, don't be so eager to combine accounts ASAP.
I fully agree we need to figure out if merging will help or harm our situation. However, I can also see the desire to have only one account and not having to shift back and forth (not that it's any different today). Since you'd be able to search for all 29 chains in either account (yes, MR rooms can post to your SPG account, but would not be considered for SPG legacy stay and vice versa) so you will also need to make sure you are logged into the desired account before booking. I see lots of "Oops" moments and requests to the CSRs to fix it.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Does this announcement mean that when I log into my Marriott account on August 19th (or 20th), and enter a city name, all of the Starwood brand properties in and around that city will be shown as options (in addition to the Marriott properties)?
And I can book a stay at those Starwood hotels using my Marriott account #?

Thanks.

Newman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.