Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Seeking Advice: What to do with 420,000 Marriott Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Advice: What to do with 420,000 Marriott Points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Question Seeking advice on using 360,000 Marriott Points

Would like to get some advice on using 360,000 Marriott Points for Marriott TP packages to Europe? Which Hotels and Which Airlines from gateways like ATL or ORD to use to get to European countries like Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy? Been to Rome already but none of the other countries mentioned if TP are worth using there on SPG or Marriott properties

Last edited by SimpleManToo; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:03 pm Reason: Correct title
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:41 pm

How many times are you going to ask some variant of this question?
120,000 miles to transfer but to Whom
chongl and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=PumpkinSmasher;29958769]Wow, awesome post![/QUOTE ]

Thank you.

I too use Airbnb for longer stays. In fact, I have a 6 night stay at an Airbnb in Maui coming up at the end of the month. I enjoy cooking so it is nice to have a kitchen to prepare some meals. Eating out continuously gets boring not to mention the expense.

As part of our Mileage Run (25K miles on AS partners) we will be in the Seychelles for 16 hours. Arrive at 8 am in a lie-flat and depart at midnight in a lie-flat. We will have all day to explore and probably will hire a driver for a tour. I am looking forward to that.

Our Itinerary is SYD-AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL-MAD-LHR-SEZ-DXB-NRT. It will generate 32K AS EQM and 84K RDM as an MVPG75K.

James
PumpkinSmasher likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 10, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
@SimpleManToo You won't get very far here if you rely on spoonfeeding and can't make up your own mind, even after multiple threads of suggestions

Last edited by chongl; Jul 10, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Really? Have you tried a lot of different airlines in biz or do you focus on particular ones? I had success on JAL (first) last year from Sydney to Tokyo and Tokyo to JFK. There also seems to be lots of Emirates availability in business. Not cheap, but with the stopover in Dubai, it doesn't seem as bad. Two packages should be enough round trip. I've heard that Korean Air is a good route to go as well to/from Australia, although I haven't looked too closely there (they had good availability when I considered it last go around to Australia). Same goes for Cathay Pacific.

The one option I haven't completed ruled out is United. I found availability pretty last minute to Australia in Business last year on United. They are not my favorite airline by any means, especially for such a long flight, but it wasn't bad at all. There is the added bonus with United of having lots of flexibility with flights to/from Europe on other partners in business as well. Do you like United miles as a better option for getting to Australia over Alaska?
CX availability post Asia Miles change is grim or worse using AM let alone using AS miles. JAL still looks reasonable haven’t checked Emirates, it’s too far out of the way for Europe or Southeast Asia for me. AA is nonexistent in J. BA kills you on surcharges.

Last year was last year. Since then , Air France is gone as well as Delta. Have you checked availability or just going on memory.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan

CX availability post Asia Miles change is grim or worse using AM let alone using AS miles. JAL still looks reasonable haven’t checked Emirates, it’s too far out of the way for Europe or Southeast Asia for me. AA is nonexistent in J. BA kills you on surcharges.

Last year was last year. Since then , Air France is gone as well as Delta. Have you checked availability or just going on memory.
I had not checked CX recently although I did just now and it looks pretty grimm. At least on the handful of test dates I looked up. Definitely not looking at AA. I've been sitting on a decent stock of their miles forever and haven't found any use for them. Have similar opinions as you on BA. Emirates though does seem to have pretty good availability. I've even found some Emirates in biz/first for the JFK > Milan route (although not great value miles wise), but at least there's that as a fallback. Seeing also some Fiji airlines availability from Australia in business. Not my ideal carrier based on what I've read, but I'd probably try them out.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:08 pm

Yes, I have been following CX award availability since the last round of changes. Award space seems to be coming back online and agree that options are tighter but availability is there for premium awards 3 to 5 months out for NA-Asia. Last week there was nothing from LAX-HKG but now there is F & J in October. Some HKG-Australia are starting to show up too. Just waiting on ME & SA to show up. I will hold out before I declare it to br Grim for myself.

AF/KLM severed ties with AS, not the other way around. Delta's influence there.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 10, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AF/KLM severed ties with AS, not the other way around. Delta's influence there.

James
Matters not for availability who jilted whom.

Since you mentioned premium awards, I'll point out to those who might not know is that is referring to awards made to CX's Asia Miles members at higher redemption levels - AS will never see those award seats.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:25 am

Matters not for availability who jilted whom.

Since you mentioned premium awards, I'll point out to those who might not know is that is referring to awards made to CX's Asia Miles members at higher redemption levels - AS will never see those award seats.
Not until I board the Aircraft!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To the OP: I'm still in the camp of redeeming max Travel Packages now, dropping my MR balance as close to zero as I can, and starting new with the higher earnings post August 1.

I'm prepared to lock in bookings in late July for early 2019, but I'd prefer to hold on my certs to redeem at Starwoods in the future. I'll be watching for a statement on what happens to the "floater" certificates and will decide then.
PumpkinSmasher likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
To the OP: I'm still in the camp of redeeming max Travel Packages now, dropping my MR balance as close to zero as I can, and starting new with the higher earnings post August 1.

I'm prepared to lock in bookings in late July for early 2019, but I'd prefer to hold on my certs to redeem at Starwoods in the future. I'll be watching for a statement on what happens to the "floater" certificates and will decide then.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I tend to agree with that as well. I know there's an ongoing discussion about this in another thread, but just seems weird that Marriott still hasn't explained what will happen with the certificates and that there is conflicting info out there about it all. For some reason, I think they're going to make it right though. And if they don't, I'm sure they're going to get a lot of messages and will then make it right. At least that is what I keep hoping.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by pinniped

If it isn't too late and a decision has already been made for you.

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Just to put a close to this...ended up buying the needed SPG points to get to 540K Marriott points and nabbing two Marriott Cat 1-5 / 120K Alaska miles packages. Had a lot of discussions with my SO and did a lot of research, but I do think AS ultimately does offer the most options with good redemption rates overall (Emirates aside).

Still don't know on the certificates, but I think I will wait until August. I don't think there's a huge reason to rush with 1-5 given that SPG properties are going to open up and I don't have specific places in mind.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Just to put a close to this...ended up buying the needed SPG points to get to 540K Marriott points and nabbing two Marriott Cat 1-5 / 120K Alaska miles packages. Had a lot of discussions with my SO and did a lot of research, but I do think AS ultimately does offer the most options with good redemption rates overall (Emirates aside).

Still don't know on the certificates, but I think I will wait until August. I don't think there's a huge reason to rush with 1-5 given that SPG properties are going to open up and I don't have specific places in mind.
Good to see you have made a decision that works for you. 240K AS miles is nothing to sneeze at. I am looking forward to my QF & CX F awards next month and 2 × CX & JL F in the new year. Congratulations.

I am not your usual flyer having 37 flights booked around the world between late August and early November, 19 more in February & March. Call me crazy! I am, but Flying For Fun.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.