Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold

I want everyone on the Marriott board to be aware of the following thread on the SPG board:

Basically many LTP SPG members are demanding and sending letters to Marriott that they should get LTPP or not give LTPP to Marriott LTP.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:14 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Yes a lot of us have been following it from the beginning...its still 2 different worlds..
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:34 am

I have been a SPG member since 2009 and Marriott since 2011.

I have LTP with Marriott but only Gold with SPG.

People are forgetting that Marriott bought Starwood and not the other way around.

When the merger of status and point transfers were announced I thought Marriott PLT members would get SPG SNA and for MR members (like myself) who stay over 100 nights would get SPG ambassador service... but NEITHER happened, yet SPG PLT members received ALL MR PLT benefits.
Segments likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The fact that SPG Gold (which has a lot less requirements) than Marriott Gold were matched was frustrating for many of us Marriott Gold and higher members. So I think the match is fair, but of course, this comes from the 'devouring program' (ie Marriott buying Starwood). I can see their point. But tough noogies. That's the technical term, I believe. LOL
imverge likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So ... I'm LTP at MR because I stay a minimum of 75 nights a year in comparison to LTP at SPG who stay 25 stays/50 nights a year. Seems to me that a regular SPG Plat is the same as an MR Gold.

That's different of course for SPG folks who are Plat 75/Plat 100's who are more comparable to MR Plats.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I think the transition was more or less fair. The only thing that they should have considered was how to treat SPG Plats who have consistently stayed 75 nights. The SPG Plat75 level has not been around as long as MR Plat, but they can still look into the history and reward those SPG members who have been demonstrating the same level of loyalty (counted as nights).

Instead, LTPP was a bone to throw the MR veterans. Maybe in the future there will be a requirement for the rest of us to earn it. PP offers only a few small perks above Plat anyway, so it's not bothering me so much. It is what it is for now, and there's near zero chance the program will be changed this year.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Throughout this whole acquisition it has felt like Marriott was catering to SPG folks. To a certain extent, I get it . You don't want to force a whole segment of your customers away. What I don't understand is SPG LTP wanting the new LTPP when such status was never attainable under the SPG program (from my understanding, SPG Platinum 75 could not be obtained under the SPG program).
DJ_Iceman, imverge and itsallgood like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by PHL
I think the transition was more or less fair. The only thing that they should have considered was how to treat SPG Plats who have consistently stayed 75 nights. The SPG Plat75 level has not been around as long as MR Plat, but they can still look into the history and reward those SPG members who have been demonstrating the same level of loyalty (counted as nights).

Instead, LTPP was a bone to throw the MR veterans. Maybe in the future there will be a requirement for the rest of us to earn it. PP offers only a few small perks above Plat anyway, so it's not bothering me so much. It is what it is for now, and there's near zero chance the program will be changed this year.
Agreed that SPG Plat75 folks should be treated consistently with Marriott Plats.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by badm96
I want everyone on the Marriott board to be aware of the following thread on the SPG board:

Basically many LTP SPG members are demanding and sending letters to Marriott that they should get LTPP or not give LTPP to Marriott LTP.
I don't believe that's correct. No one is seriously suggesting that anything be taken away from Marriott LTPs; however, it's true that there is a great deal of annoyance over the ludicrous decision by Marriott to create a 2 tier LPT program going forward. The simple , fair solution would have been to look at SPG LTPs over the Marriott threshold @ 750, 2 million, and lump them all in together.
They haven't done that , for reasons unknown ( although one suspects nothing to do with the tiresome winners/losers in the takeover argument). Unsurprising that SPG LTPs with high night count are annoyed.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
You cant please everyone.
That said Marriott did buy Starwood and has every right to align or reward elites as they see fit.

I don't know the history of Starwood's elite program, is it as old as Marriott? was it as difficult to attain lifetime status pre 2011?
I for one believe the powers at be spent time and evaluated this issue before making the decision.

When the programs merged and Marriott's did not receive SNA's but SPG's Plats were provided with MAR PLT benefits i did not ..... and moan.
Lets all just move on, and if your an unhappy SPG LTP no ones stopping you from going to Hilton or IHG
imverge likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm getting LTPP, so my position may have less weight. But Marriott did a lot to encourage use of both MR and SPG after the purchase. Those who crossed lines from MR to SPG may be getting screwed now for being short of LTP. SPG requirements were less and seemed to line up correctly.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:39 am
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
What's the benefit of LTPP over LTP again?
lexdevil likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hts
One is premier. One isn't.

Here's the link.

https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
lexdevil and barracuda93 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hts
A different color card and knowing that you're superior.

Also faster points earning (75% bonus versus 50%), the 48 hour guarantee of a standard room at rack rate when there isn't an exception, and maybe UA Silver status.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by badm96

.... those people. You dont like it, spend your money elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.